Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

The scene : 5 AM early start, (very) cold and foggy, had a 150 mile journey ahead, prepared for the ride as usual.

Start the car, no probs. Turn on the heating for a windscreen defrost, and prepare to reverse down my driveway. Hummm, not quite hot, well, not at all hot, WTF..? Check on the instrument panel, outside temp marker and E sign flashing intermitently. Oh no... Turn heating off, E flashing sign dissapears, outside temp seems to hold OK. Drive for 1 mile, try again, E sign reappears, fan working, but obviuosly throwing cold air inside.

End result: travelled to my destination in an almost frozen state, had no option :mad:

Has anyone experienced this one before? Of course, it's the first usage of the heating since the last winter, but who knows... maybe resetting through the battery switch?

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Ed

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cold enough for me and for the windscreen to be iced... I had to go with 1 window open to avoid condensation, and cruising on the motorway... agree not as cold as, e.g. some parts of Canada (been 3 months in Edmonton in winter... that IS cold) or Minneapolis, but uncomfy and not the sort of morning to be driving as if in a Spyder.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've had this happen with a LowBat warning. When the electrical system senses a voltage drop one of the first things it cuts out is the climate control. Particularly on cold days - high load situations (dark & defrost on).

After driving a bit you should see the voltmeter move back into the normal range and the LowBat warning go out. Things should then get back to normal.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have also had it happen once. The manual said that the E was an indicator that the AC/heating system had malfunctioned. In my case, it disappeared the next time I started the car and hasn't reoccured for several months.
Just part of the charm ....
Mike

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Steel... but think that's not quite it, as the battery charge was very healthy indeed, and tried again a couple of times whilst on the move. A friend suggested the actuator might be stuck, but then I used the aircon over the summer (and the actuator should work both ways, both for cooling and heating, and the aircon worked just fine).

Thanks for the feedback. This + the 9ers display yesterday made the start of my week just fine...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts