Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday my lovely wife along with a group of friends attended a kick-ass Crawfish boil (damn those bugs are good!). Anyway, one of the guys there was driving a Z06. He noticed me pull up and asked me about the car. I was worried I was going to get pressured into a street race but it was VERY different. He inquired about the HP, etc. but he couldn't get his eyes of my girl's ass end (the car, not Jennifer). He seemed awestruck. He sheepishly asked for a ride; just around the parking lot. I said sure! We drove around the corner where there was a HUGE empty lot without speed bumps and the like. I reached down, turned off MSP and punched it. The guy was white as a ghost as we spun around, white smoke everywhere. I then drove to the far end and did my infamous (in my own mind) 0-whatever before you run out of road.

Even though the Z06 might have been faster 0-60, the guy was so impressed with the beautiful lines and instantaneous white smoke he said "Damn, that car is a f*king animal!". I don't know if you can disable traction control on a vette or if anyone is brave enough to do it but on the Maserati it's very intimidating (please try it in a big parking lot before going to the street).

Awesome!

·
Registered
329 Posts
FWIW....

My C-5 has a "non-traction" ;) control button as well. The Corvette with the LS1 or LS2 overhead valve engine does not feel as though it revs as quickly as the Maserati with the overhead cam engine. Even though the engine HP and torque is probably close (C5 vs Maserati), and the C6 Z06 has 500 HP the overhead valve motor for some reason does not feel as though it will rev as quickly.

I did my in-house testing against all my cars when RTGT delivered my Maserati GT. (a few years ago).

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you get the car to make smoke? I have been driving without MSP for the past month... I cant get any smoke....
Ali, I put it in MSP-off mode and mash the pedal to the floor. I'll have Jennifer video me... Smoke and total loss of control! I drove a Viper ( a '98 without traction OR ABS). Great car to learn all my bad habits in ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Buzz,

As a former Viperman as well, I am always amazed at the amount of attention that I get in the Maserati. It is surprisingly more than I got in the Viper, and mine was Yellow, with a black racing stripe, so not exactly stealthy.

Eric

·
Registered
78 Posts
. . . learned the secret to success

There is no doubt that there are several cars that are faster and handle better than the Mas. I own one of them and have whooped that same car with another driver in it while I was in the Mas. However, it appears that "Buzz" has learned (and expressed) the secret to success. i.e., Learn how to drive "YOUR" car.
I have demolished giants on fasted bikes, with fast cars, etc because I know my cars. The maserati is a unique and nimble creature with great ability. Learn to drive this car and you will be second to none.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Even though the Z06 might have been faster 0-60, the guy was so impressed with the beautiful lines and instantaneous white smoke he said "Damn, that car is a f*king animal!". I don't know if you can disable traction control on a vette or if anyone is brave enough to do it but on the Maserati it's very intimidating (please try it in a big parking lot before going to the street).

Awesome!
I have found that most Vette owners have an "Oh Shite" moment in their cars and seem to be drive considerably conservative afterwards.

One of my colleagues bought a final year C5 and proceeded to mod the heck out of it with SC-FI, big brake kit, etc. I believe he is around 550hp at the moment and is now at the point where he has to open up the motor and start replacing crank, cam, do headwork etc. to get more out of it.

He loves to run up against the Ricers, Mustangs, etc. BUT the other co-workers have told me he drives like an ol' lady once he is out of the stoplight to stoplight scene.

He told me once that he got the back end to step out fairly serious in a curve and he thought he was going to eat the guard rail. After that, he doesn't really care for the curvy stuff and prefers the straight line runs he does against others.

Excuse my ramblings, I can guess I am trying to say that after years of high-mileage commuting, I have not been able to decipher or understand the Vette mentality. I have found that it is best NOT to follow Vettes when in traffic - they seem to like to stay in the slow lane, very little urge to pass anything...Viper drivers, OTOH, no matter what age, are nuts in traffic. :) And are a blast to follow.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I scared the crap out of a friend who drives an x50 turbo (a 450 hp $150k car new) the other day by doing the same as Buzz suggests. Just turn off MSP and DROP THE HAMMER. I'm thinking we'll need a group buy on tires soon if this gets popular.
;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
I am planning to send my tires off to their reward by doing this, once my new rubber arrives from tirerack.

BTW, a guy was just telling me last weekend how he used to have a corvette, but found the rear end stepping out on him by surprise. He said others have said the same thing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
How?

...The maserati is a unique and nimble creature with great ability. Learn to drive this car and you will be second to none.
Any suggestions on best way to learn without paying thousands to go to Maserati driving school?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Let's not get beside's ourselves.

OK now . . . don't believe the hype. I ZO6 will outperform a Mas on the Mas's best day. . . in every catergory, so I'd stay away from that covert comparison.

The Mas is simply a more elegant and unique vehicle with pretty darn good performance. . . . but let's not get crazy blind here . . . it ain't Z06 performance.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That depends on the Mas...

An MC12 will eat a vette on it's worst day...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I also like leaving a light and getting a little ahead of the other cars and while in 1st gear, approx 3500 rpm, drop the hammer (with the MSP on) and the car leaps forward so fast that it begins to side step before shutting down the power....people love it...looks like a stallion trying to bust free from the reigns!

Hilarious schoolboy stuff.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I second the post about 'vette drivers. I can't understand for the life of me why someone will go out and buy a "high performance" car like the 'vette and then drive it like a cataritic osteoarthritic octagenarian in a buick century modded with hand controls. I'm guessing because they realise it is made of plastic like one of those playschool kiddie cars.

·
Registered
78 Posts
While I won't contest that an MC12 could do some damage because I'm not familiar with the specs or real life handling of that car, the broad generalization of vette owners driving characteristics and the car being "plastic" is a little off base. In fact, the z is an incredible car and an incredible value. I will concede that the interior needs serious help, but everything else on the car is superb.

If chevy ever summons help with the interior of that car there will be some shakin up goin on out there.

If you have owned or driven a z post 02 . . . you already know all this. If you have never driven or owned a z . . . then I understand your confined thoughts.:D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A buddy of mine, Maik Hassler

works for these MC12 guys who eat vettes...

http://www.vitaphone-racing.de/

Check them out!

I do agree that the Vette is a super car, but I also know GM has improved it so much in the last 10 years thanks to Ferrari, in fact GM just bought Fiat's GM Stock this last year for 2 billion to end their technology swap. If you check out the new ZR1 you will find out the suspension, brakes and loads of other goodies were built for the 599 and now reside on this years vette.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fortunately for me, I don't have to disagree with you . . . as I own both. However, as the thread started out, the WOW factor does go hands down to the Mas. Just ills me when I hear folks say crazy stuff that suggest that they scared vettes away at the light and the like when I know the real deal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts