Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who are unaware The Ring is an "unrestricted toll road" in Germany.

See here. http://nurburgring.org.uk/

For a long time a very well kept secret frequented by those who inhaled petrol fumes on a regular basis. :cool:

We drove out on Saturday morning through the Channel Tunnel, (which is always impressive, 20 mins and you're in France) and came back Sunday night .. 400 miles each way and not much under 100mph! Top speed was 172mph dragging with the RS6..! In the back of my mind I kept hearing my brother who had siad to me on hearing about the trip, " you have 2 mph top speed on the audi".. but at that speed I was being EXTREMELY cautious and the road comes up at you VERY fast. So I let the Audi go out front.

The group consisted of a Renault Clio Club Sport (wolf in sheeps clothing!), Audi RS6 (plus), M3, Boxter S, and the Mazzer...

Got to the track and found it was hugely busy as it was a beautiful weekend, warm and dry.. so bit of a queue to get on the ring .. but how much fun can you can have for €16?! Some pics of my first run attached..

The sport mode and paddle shift were simply fantastic on the track. I can't tell you how good they were. You just don't get the idea of what it can do on the road. Together it really made it much easier to concentrate on the line and the exit speeds etc.. Oh and trying not to hit any bikes! Those damn bikes, much as I repsect anyone who straddles there engine and hurls it through corners trying to scrape their knee ont he deck. Normally one would come off every hour or so.. it would be much safer for all if they were on during separate periods to the cars. They take such different lines and speeds through the corners..

Still I out-dragged a couple of bikes during the day.. the power that you get out of the 4200 engine is simply awesome.. coupled with the F1 box, which really slams the gears in as you power out of the corners and down the straights.. I managed a 10min 17sec which was my 3rd run (ever) and there was an orange flag for a couple of corners. So for an amateur I think that's okay. :) The brakes were very strong too. Very little fade after a strong run round 77 corners which is normally true with every other road car.. but then I don't think I was as heavy with the brakes as I could have been.. not being at all race trained.:confused:

I only had one "Moment" when I was driving through the side window.. and all the electronics couldn't keep me straight.. ! (Yes. I kept the electronics on as I don't have enough experience to trust myself without.. !) Still, if you are not reaching the limits then you shouldn't be out there ! ;)

Had a great dinner, some trips round the following day and headed back for the tunnel crossing.. well satisfied with the rubber burning..

Hope that you enjoy the pics.. Ciao for now!

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
I am immensely jealous of anyone that lives within driving distance of the ring. I saw a top gear episode last year that talked about being able to drive it all day for like $25, which is rediculously cheap, considering its more than that for half a day karting here. It's enough to make me seriously consider planning a trip just for that.

10.17 is not bad at all. It's amazing how fast things are coming at you when you start pushing past 140mph.

How was your tire \ brake wear after this?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good Time but i think there is a ld faster than you in a van

I envy you as you live so close to the ring.

Her nme is Sabine , Top Gear Jeremy clarkson did it in 9:59 and Sabine a drivver instructor their saids she could do it in a van, and she did it in 10:06

I guess if she was drving our Maseratis she would fly because she was passing bikes and Porsches ...

SHe also did like 14 to 15 thousnd miles.

·
Registered
773 Posts
ring

thanks for sharing, hillbilly here. would you tell a llittle more about ? distance of ring, your tire and worn noticed or not slowest/fastest corner which gear for those corners thanks again mitchell

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maserati of minneapolis said:
I am immensely jealous of anyone that lives within driving distance of the ring. I saw a top gear episode last year that talked about being able to drive it all day for like $25, which is rediculously cheap, considering its more than that for half a day karting here. It's enough to make me seriously consider planning a trip just for that.

10.17 is not bad at all. It's amazing how fast things are coming at you when you start pushing past 140mph.

How was your tire \ brake wear after this?
Tire wear was fine.. and the Michelin Pilot sports were great after a they armed up a abit.. Brake wear was minimal .. :) keep it smooth like Fangio! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts