Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i posted a thread about our brake pads a couple of weeks ago. well, i just got some new front brake pads for my car and i don't know if the last time i got the pads i didn't look at my CC statement or what.

the correct way to describe my expression when Erik (the sales guy at stoptech.com) told me the prise of the front pads is... astonished, astounded, awestruck, confounded, dismayed, dumbfounded, shocked, startled, and stunned. oh, and yes i used the thesaurus

OK so it turns out that the front brake pads cost me like $45.00. yes, you read correctly $45.00. and don't think i got the cheapest pepboys branded pads. i got the best pads available on the market. (Axxis Ultimate)

This pads use some of the most advance technology man.(Kevlar and Ceramic-strengthened compound )

i even asked for the original pads (the Ferodo DS 1000) the sales guy compered the two pads and told me that the axxis is actually a way better pad. he did mention that if i wanted they can also sell me the Ferodo DS2500 Street/Track pad (the next step up from the 1000 pad).

guess how much the superior pad from the same company cost...$125.00.

this is so crazy. i understand a company trying to make profits, but man. the dealer charges about $1000.00 for the front and back pads only. i can get better pad than the stock for $100.00 or even get better pads from the same manufacture as the original for about $250.00- $300.00. (front and back)

what the Fu%^ck man, this is complete and total greed from Maserati NA.

and keep in mind that my cost is retail, god only knows what they sell in quantity.

am i crazy or wrong. is this not something.

-willie

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for the info Willie. My advice is foget dealer until you really need them. I'd rather lose some money due to lack of service history than get ripped off. I am not so stupid!!

From previous posts of mine people seem so rich as to be indifferent to my sentiment.

There is a difference between being charged a little extra say 50% over similar parts/labour then being totally RIPPED OFF. We should all get together and complain/boycott/put it on YOUTUBE.

·
Registered
681 Posts
There's many pads that work with the Maserati and I normally keep the Axxis in stock. The problem is some people are just so much against aftermarket they'll pay the extra amount even when I offer them Axxis for a fraction of the price they still buy OEM pads. I sell both, make more on the OEM just trying to help some people save here and there but their wallet not mine.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yup, there's a reason they call them stealerships. This isn't new...

I got a full set of Brembos rotors for my Jeep for $160 + ship @ Tirerack.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I notice that Maserati also sells the "Pagid Yellow" brake pads for high performance driving. Here is a place in California that sells every type of the Pagid pads (Orange, Yellow, Black, Blue, Red, etc..) And are 1/2 the price:

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/pagid.html#Maserati

Mike
'02 GT Coupe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are there any recommendations on where to go for the pad installations, or are you doing this yourself? I'm a little afraid to bring the car to the local Brakes+.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
macadoo said:
Are there any recommendations on where to go for the pad installations, or are you doing this yourself? I'm a little afraid to bring the car to the local Brakes+.

i can understand your concern, but don't worry the brakes on your car are the same as many other cars (porsche, nissan, etc...) you are actually not putting your car in any danger.

if you are not mechanically inclined then defenetely take it to a shop.just make sure you don't go to a really cheap place if you don't already have a good mechanic. now if you are cool with manual labor, then go ahead and do it yourself.

brakes are probably the easiest thing to service in any car, and the Maserati's use brembo fixed calipers so it is really just a pull out and put back in deal. ;)

-willie

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
The biggest danger with letting a 3rd party shop work on your Maserati is getting it up onto the lift...doing the brakes is no harder than any other vehicle (well, not much). That said, the potential hassles of some idiot trashing the undercarriage of my Maserati still has me erring on the side of the dealership...plus they've done the job 500 times and know all the idiosyncracies of how to bleed this, align that, etc...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RickBullotta said:
the potential hassles of some idiot trashing the undercarriage of my Maserati still has me erring on the side of the dealership...plus they've done the job 500 times and know all the idiosyncracies of how to bleed this, align that, etc...

i agree,

it really comes down to how skilled your local shop is. if you see him servicing Ferrari's Porsche's or even MB. chances are he knows what he is doing. on the other hand if your Maserati is the only sport car he has ever had or he mentions that this is the most expensive car he has services, then i would suggest finding some one else...

hope this helps,

- willie

p.s. also think that the dealer charges $1000+. for parts only plus installation labor so it could come out to $2000 or less. by doing it at a good shop and buying the pads yourself (ie. axxis or even Ferrodo) you are saving like $1000-1500 so personally i can thing of many wine bottles that could see there way into my cellar with that money...:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pagid Brakes

Mike,

Thanks for the post and link to the Pagid reseller. I will call them tomorrow. They only list the Spyder, not the Coupe, but if the brakes are the same, Pagid is probably the way to go. The Sport brakes are a great compromise between street and light track use. Pagid brake pads are used in almost 75% of all racing teams world wide. If it is good enough for them, I'm sold.

Gregg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts