Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even with the depreciation factor of these cars, when you break all the costs down, isn't it reasonable to maintain and enjoy your Maserati?

Not including gas, insurance, tires and brakes, which you would pay for on any type of high end vehicle, once your Maserati is paid for these cars seem reasonable to keep..

Please correct me if I missed anything.

Lets assume you are going to drive 10,000 - 12,000 miles per year. You will have to replace a clutch at every 18,000 miles (3,000) ($167.00 per month)and a F1 Pump at 24,000 miles (2,000) ($84.00 per month) and regular service at the dealer every 12,500 miles (1,500) ($125.00 per month) and an oil change every 6,000 miles ($400) ($33.00 per month).

$5,000 a year, give or take $500.

These cars do not have many electrical problems. They are very driveable compared to Ferrari and you do not see 4 on the road every day like a Porsche.... Maserati performance, styling and interior are very good.

Thats not to say these cars are built perfect, they do have their liveable quirks....

However, once you budget for them.... Doesn't $5,000 a year seems reasonable for an amazing vehicle?

Just wanted to throw this out there in case I am missing some other beautiful exotic car that offers a better value?

What do others think?

CM

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Well, this year I have about 8K on my 2003 coupe over a period of 10 months, and total maintenance costs of $200 (the 6K checkup), so I'm pretty pleased so far. It gets better fuel economy on the highway than my Infiniti!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
okay who says it's unreasonable?
those who think so are already not on this board and complaining on another board that the blue tooth not working with their phone.

may be i missed your point on the thread.

anyways, the cheapest exotic to own IMO is/was the NSX and Z8.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I bought used, I can sell it today for what I bought it for

I pay less to insure it than I do my 2000 Jeep Cherokee

It uses less gas too

I have a hard time convincing people that a Maserati really is a fiscally sound decision, but it really is. For me, at least. Shop around.

·
Registered
835 Posts
while the cost of ownership is reasonable and manageable, the service is intolerable. you would think since majority of maserati and ferrari's are sold here in the south land the service should be better, yet it is completely the opposite. if things don't change, with fierce competitions on the horizon, the targeted 10,000 cars a year will just be Kalbfell's wet dream. I know my next car will be a Lexus LF-A.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have clarified my point......

Owning and keeping your maserati for 3 - 5 - 10 years.... Should average about $5,000 a year after factoring in maintenance, clutch, F1 Pump etc... I am conservative by nature so I always try to plan for the worst...

I am sure the first 18 months or even two years of ownership is very affordable... I was looking very long term. Some might say its time to sell before you have to replace the clutch or the pump, but with the depreciation its actually cheaper to replace and keep the car.

Are there many people on this board that lease their cars? I saw someone that wanted to get out of their 05 GS lease... They were paying 1,995.00 per month... WOW.....

I love my car. However, I have been thinking about buying a used Ferrari 360. After running all the numbers, I realized that the service costs would be insane!! And I can not put miles on it....No back seat for the family.... Any additional satisfaction would only be marginal.

I plan on keeping my Maz. Sorry if I am rambling. Those with 02 and 03s, are you going to keep them off warranty?

C<

·
Registered
84 Posts
26K and what to do

Good Day

Love the car, and would hate to let it go. But now at 26K will be 32 at lease end and not to sure about a high milage maserati.

Depending on the extend war options from the factory and how much; will play a big part in keeping the car. If $2000 is the price for a year then I may do it, but more then that I may look at an 04 or 05 GS.

Problem is that my 2002 is just right: lowered 1 1/2 inch, new clutch (with original software, shifts like a truck, still has blip on down shift), and new PS2's.

What to do?

P

·
Registered
188 Posts
Guess a longer term concern for me would be what happens with Maserati next, what if the Ferrari dealers drop the brand, making it harder to support our cars, etc.

Although it looks like Maserati is very commited to North America at this time...

·
Registered
165 Posts
It is really just a car. Service intervals and parts prices are not exponentially greater than an M3 with SMG, or a Mercedes. Reliability is not as good, but the Germans have slipped of late in the JD Powell surveys.
I am facing a similar decision. I have an 02 Coupe GT (6 speed). Warranty expires in December. I bought mine used 2 years ago, with only 3K miles. If I sold it now I would pay about $5K for the utilization. I expect to have 12K miles on the car (my commute is short). My main problem? There is nothing this distinct, practical yet exotic, powerful yet elegant....Not for $50K, at least.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Same for me not sure what else to get, this may be the best bang for the buck. Would love a GS but my car is so close; is an extra 25-30k a smart move. The guys at SFMF keep telling me that it may not be worth it, the 2002 with the old software is very close to the GS, and after being droped 1 1/2 inches the handling is very sharp. But at 50-60k miles who knows what is due to brake.

P

·
Registered
390 Posts
chris7469 said:
I plan on keeping my Maz. Sorry if I am rambling. Those with 02 and 03s, are you going to keep them off warranty?

C<
Service guy said I was under warranty 'till 07. I tend to replace cars every two years or so (that's why I buy lightly used), so I may have replaced it by then. If not I'll get an extended warranty. It's insurance.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
calcoupe said:
... The guys at SFMF keep telling me that it may not be worth it, the 2002 with the old software is very close to the GS, and after being droped 1 1/2 inches the handling is very sharp. ...P
someone please comment on this.
02 coupe is very close to 05 GS????

·
Registered
279 Posts
That's quite interesting... i did test drive a few used 2002/03 models... honestly, i dont like teh software... it's quite harsh.

somehow i prefer the GS to the 2002/03 models in terms of the software - it's more suitable for HK as it allows u to shift in and out much quicker... we dont have long and wide highways here... but we do have some nice mountain roads to run around in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good Day,

Quote:
Originally Posted by M!
someone please comment on this.
02 coupe is very close to 05 GS????

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
ermmm...hahahahah

Nice...
First I would say do a little research….

As for the 2002 coupe, the original software is the most aggressive (even more so then the GS) very hard shifts under full throttle. I had to work with Brad at SF Maserati and the Factory to keep the original software with the new clutch. My car most likely is one of the few left with this configuration. After a car is upgraded there is no going back to the old software. As explained to me by Brad and Maserati techs the power delivery with the old software very direct and harsh at times. The 2003 software slips the clutch more for a smother take off and less of a kick in the pants feeling during full throttle shifts. The 2002 software also has launch control which was removed in 2003 as well as the throttle blip on down shifts. As stated by many on this forum the ride and handling of a lowered car is vastly improved, but can be a bit harsh. I have driven 3 coupes as loaners (one 6 speed) and 1 QP, mine was by far the harshest when it comes to shifts. But I also enjoy that element of the car, I wanted the 2002 with the original software, and looked for that during my purchase.

Now I am not saying that 2002 is a grand sport but in this configuration it’s closer then a standard coupe. As mentioned in a earlier post I would love a GS and have been looking to upgrade, but the comments from Brad, Gino, and the techs is that it may not be worth it.

The only reason I would change is if the warranty is too much….

Hope this answered the questions

P

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is my point...

v12gte said:
It is really just a car. Service intervals and parts prices are not exponentially greater than an M3 with SMG, or a Mercedes. Reliability is not as good, but the Germans have slipped of late in the JD Powell surveys.
I am facing a similar decision. I have an 02 Coupe GT (6 speed). Warranty expires in December. I bought mine used 2 years ago, with only 3K miles. If I sold it now I would pay about $5K for the utilization. I expect to have 12K miles on the car (my commute is short). My main problem? There is nothing this distinct, practical yet exotic, powerful yet elegant....Not for $50K, at least.
5,000 for two years is Incredible! $208.00 a month for a Maserati... Come on now... You can't lease a hyndai for that... The problem is how to keep that deal going....

Our cars, which will still be in EXCELLENT condition after the warranty expires may have 30,000 - 40,000 miles.... So what big deal. If you have followed all the required service there may me a good chance you get another 30,000 - 40,000 plus miles before something if anything goes wrong. And if you budget say $5,000 - 7,000 for a major disaster instead of an exteneded warranty, aren't you ahead of the game? Other than clutches and pumps and minor electrical items, I don't think the car is just gonna break down and not be repairable. Even if it costs you a few grand each and every year to keep your Maserati running perfectly (highly unlikely), it still seems worth it.

IMO: There is NOTHING available for $45,000 - 50,000 that is as beautiful, stylish and practical as a Maserati... Even when your car is 5 - 8 years old. It is still a rare Maserati and will have that WOW factor....

If you sell your Maserati for $50,000 and you do not add in any additional money, what do you settle for?

Of course I have only had mine for 10 months and 8,000 miles.. I could be way off the mark.

Thanks. CM

·
Registered
773 Posts
maserati spyder maintain $$

small items can be big$$ out of warranty 02: replace pressure line for auto shift 3" steel line 795.00, this week one of 4 top cyl. 1000.00, and there are other expence, be careful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2002 Launch Control

2002 is the only year with Launch Control

To activate, bring the car to a stop, turn off traction control, put the car in Sport mode. To launch, just floor the gas pedal and the car will make a fantastic tire smoking launch!

As far as I know, no other US model Maseratis or Ferraris have LC, except the 2004 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale.

- Jon
Happy owner of a 2002 Maserati Coupe

·
Registered
188 Posts
Maybe a stupid question, but what does "launch control" specifically do?

After turning off MSP and in Sports mode my GS is plenty lively, what am I missing?

·
Registered
43 Posts
LC = Tire smoking start...

Launch Control in the 2002 models basically provides an aggressive clutch engagement from a stop, and turns off the electronic torque limitation program so that full engine torque is delivered during launch. The result is lots of tire smoke and wheelspin as the car accelerates from a stop.

I know that of the Maserati Coupes, only the 2002 has LC.

- Jon

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
14 Participants
Glenn Wallace
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing