Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering about whether keeping my 04 Coupe for the long term is a sign of madness/senile decay. I deliberately chose the 6MT as opposed to the CC because it's less technically complex and more likely to be repairable in the future. I'm certainly not in a hurry to change - but I'm concerned that there are some parts of this car that would render it useless should they break and replacements no be available. After all, they're significantly more complex than my 68 XKE which I can even make some of the pieces for.

How well do Maserati support models that are out of production? Are there going to enough NITs available to keep these things going for 10 years or more. Or am I going to experience something akin to a friend of mine who's Cadillac dealer refused to work on his car anymore as it was over 10 years old.

Who else on this list is thinking about hanging on to their baby and seeing it through high school and college?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I purchased my 05 CC when I graduated from College in 06..it was my graduation gift to myself and I will never part with it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I am not too worried about parts, as if they are not available OEM, they are most likely a universal application part.

For the Maserati specific items, there should still be a good supply through the salvage market.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm in for the long haul

I have an '02 CambioCorsa. I too worried about the transmission, and flirted with finding a newer GT. Ultimately, though, I love my car (Nero Carbonio with the rare Tabaco interior and burlwood trim). I haven't found another that is as aesthetically pleasing to me. Thus, I'm keeping it, subtlely modifying it as new products become available (ECU upgrade, Tubi exhaust, Stereo upgrade, and new springs as they come available). With regards to parts availability, I really don't think that's a concern. They may cost a pretty penny, but the car being built under the Fiat/Ferrari umbrella bodes well for finding parts.

I have to tell ya, the car has been very reliable. The most controversial thing that went wrong with my car was a defective throw-out bearing after the dealer replaced the clutch. Once the throw-out bearing was ID'd as the culprit, everything returned to normal. I've had a couple of water pumps (there was a defective batch), various gasket upgrades (mine is an '02, remember), but it's never left me stranded, as various newer and less exotic cars have. I think the engine has proven quite robust. You don't hear anything about internal failures, like the M3 debacle a few years ago. And for all the moaning and groaning about the transmission, clutch and pump replacement are almost always the issue. If that's too much, we should be out of the exotic (or semi-exotic) car game.

Thus, I'm hangin' in for the long haul!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Isn't that the question.

I did as you and got the 6MT to avoid some of the more significant repair issues.

I keep changing my mind daily, but will probably sell the car at the 80K/8-10 year window. After that time the rattles and shakes start to set in and you can never really get the car to feel the way it was.

One significant repair bill and perhaps that time may come sooner than later. But then, knowing me I'll jump into a Ferrari (out of the frying pan and into the fire).

Guess there are no hard decisions until the warranty is up (18 more months).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts