Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I awoke this morning to find that I had another flat tire on my Gransport. What could it be? Slow leak or the dreaded cracked rim? Living in the Northeast, potholes abound. I have bent all 4 rims twice and cracked one (I hope not two - but that will be determined shortly). In short, wheel and tire maintenance have cost me around $5000 a year or $500 for every 1000 miles.

Many folks around here, according to my friends at Algar Ferrari Maserati are swapping out their 19 inch wheels for 18s allowing them to get extra rubber and protection on the road. Others are buying stronger forged steel wheels.

I decided to keep my 19 inch wheels and buy a new set of 4 tires - at a larger size - and run an experiment for myself and the group. I am swapping out the oem size tires (235/35 zr 19 front and 265/30 zr 19 rear) for the following: 245/40 zr 19 front and 275/35 zr 19 rear. Diameter on the oem is 25.5 f and 25.7 rear - now will have a diameter of 26.7. This not only gives me plus 10 mm width but and extra 1.3 inches in total diameter or an extra .65 inches in sidewall. Any one else do this? I will report back on ride quality, performance and wheel protection advantages/disadvantages.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have have two rims repaired due to corrosion on the bead which resulted in slow leaks. Costs about $20 and a lot less than a new rim if that is the problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the last slow leak was a true unrepairable crack in the rim - like the liberty bell - amazing to see. This wheel/tire issue has been haunting me, and other GS owners from what I am told. I am hoping that the thicker and wider tires are a solution.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'd just switch to 18" rims if you are going to go that far, and then have 0.5 inch taller sidewalls by maintaining the stock tire circumference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have only had pirelli so far. Was going to go with Michilin but then the folks at Algar recommended Bridgestone Pole Position. I looked them up on tire rack and they were also rated by consumer feedback as best over Michilin and Perelli. I will let you know what i think when they put on my new shoes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hmmm I've just been through this & opted to go with OEM sizes.. however, I've just checked my 'road roller' rears & they are actually 265/35/19's & are surprisingly slightly more comfortable (ie less chattery on the road) - does anyone know what problems, if any this will cause? The fronts are standard. I've just been running them in so can't say if the traction\stability control will have any problems yet. I'll be speaking to the garage that fitted them in error tomorrow & see what they say. It does seem like the extra air would help :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the larger than oem tires are being put on today and i should have the car back today or tomorrow. I am having them put nitrogen instead of oxygen in the tires to keep pressure more constant. Lets see if this works....

·
Registered
722 Posts
Please post a pix if you get a chance. I'm very glad I went +10mm width on my GS for rim protection - and I got a better ride out of it as well.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm replacing my OEM Pirellis with wider Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics (245/35/19 and 275/30/19), tomorrow.

Anybody have any experience with those tires?

Also, the dealer is recommending changing the camber of the wheels to reduce wearing on the inner part of the tires. He says that inclination is meant for track use, and that for road use having the wheels straighter will work better.

Do you guys agree with that? I don't mind changing tires more often, but I definitely don't want to compromise performance/stability.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
You will lose a bit of traction in the corners and gain a bit of tire life.... the question is: which is more important to you?

I'd take the traction limit increase because I'll use it. If you don't corner that fast, back out a bit of camber.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With any luck i will pick the car up this afternoon and take a ride down to Atlantic City. I will post pics of the new tires on Monday.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Torque settings

While on the subject of changing wheels and tires, can anyone tell me what torque values to use for the wheel lugs? Should it differ for road vs track use?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You will lose a bit of traction in the corners and gain a bit of tire life.... the question is: which is more important to you?

I'd take the traction limit increase because I'll use it. If you don't corner that fast, back out a bit of camber.

Just called the dealer and told them to keep the factory settings, I don't want to loose any traction. Thank you!

·
Registered
73 Posts
F1 Asymmeticrs

I'm replacing my OEM Pirellis with wider Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics (245/35/19 and 275/30/19), tomorrow.

Anybody have any experience with those tires?

Also, the dealer is recommending changing the camber of the wheels to reduce wearing on the inner part of the tires. He says that inclination is meant for track use, and that for road use having the wheels straighter will work better.

Do you guys agree with that? I don't mind changing tires more often, but I definitely don't want to compromise performance/stability.
Just had a set installed today on my Couple (18" wheels). I like them a lot - a much quieter ride and better dry handling than the Pilot Sports I replaced. My front PS's had a whole of wear on the inside edge (especially the driver's side tire), so dialing out some camber may not be a bad idea. I'm bringing the car into the dealer for an alignment next week to check the issue out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
1) Wheel torque is 75 ft.lbs.

2) IMHO, nitrogen in tires accomplishes nothing. Someone (Tire Rack?) did a pressure/heat/time comparison of nitrogen, air and carbon dioxide and found no difference as to leakage or change in pressure as a function of temperature. I think there's nothing to the rubber oxidation issue -- most rubber deterioration happens on the outside, the part that's exposed to UV and air pollution.

3) I fitted 18" wheels from an '02 Maz to my GS, with Michelin PS2 tires. Ride seems better, altho I may have sacrificed steering compliance.

4) Is there really much to be gained by going to an aftermarket wheel? Weight? Strength?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is much to be gained regarding aftermarket wheels- strength. We have cast aluminum - very light but very maleable and crack easily. Forged wheels are much stronger and more difficult to bend but may also add some weight. As i am not a race car driver and am trying to stop the bleeding from wheel and tire maintenace, i just had larger wheels placed on the rears. 275/40 zr19. It looks and rides much better and potholes are not killing me. Now here is my new problem there - now on bad potholes i bottom out on the rear passenger side. may need to raise suspension a bit. ugh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.