Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Maserati Granturismo has been my everyday car since 2014. In the meantime, I am already driving the second car. With the first (2014-2018) I drove about 145'000 km, with the second (2018-current) about 30'000 km. So you can imagine how many times I have already filled up this car. And I have never noticed the following extremely useful detail, a hook to hang the gas cap. Today I discovered this feature and my joy was huge. After about 175'000 km, the Granturismo gives me a feature that is as simple as it is good.
Ok, I never claimed to be the most intelligent person, probably you all discovered this feature the first time you refueled. Well then, not me, today means Granturismo has pleased me again!

Did you have similar experiences and surprises with your Granturismo? Are there any other features that I could discover?

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,679 Posts
Really? I thought that little hook was there to hang your hat while filling up gas. :LOL:

Reactions: smspitler

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
1,141 Posts
Funny....I learn something NEW today as well....but not what you think!!!
I knew about the "hook" and have been using it for a few years, BUT I NEVER KNEW to use the "tip" as the place to hang it....I have always used the rubber strap and it always seems to short and not well thought out....but by your picture I learned to use the cap "tip" - awesome post! Thank you we both learned something new about this all-be-it in different ways! LoL

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,662 Posts
For the first two or three years I drove the car I did exactly what Tasnam did ( hanging the cap by its strap on that hook ). ...and then suddenly the discovery of the gas cap leading to the same sudden joy BlackMasi describes..while slapping my forehead with a “ D’uh , how did I never notice this ?! “.

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo Sport Rosso Mondiale
1,141 Posts
For the first two or three years I drove the car I did exactly what Tasnam did ( hanging the cap by its strap on that hook ). ...and then suddenly the discovery of the gas cap leading to the same sudden joy BlackMasi describes..while slapping my forehead with a “ D’uh , how did I never notice this ?! “.

LoL we are in the 1% of the world but in the "duh" category ! LoL

·
Registered
Quattroporte Sport GTS 2012
31 Posts
I learnt something fuel related only after driving for 30 odd years - if you didn’t know from using it how do you know on which side your filler cap is when you are seated inside?

Let’s have some guesses - hint - you’ll find it on most cars but strangely enough not on a MaseratI (well most models)

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,662 Posts
On most cars, the fuel button icon will either have a small arrow pointing to the correct side, or, the ones which contain an image of a pump, the hose and nozzle on that image will be on the side of your fill up cap .

Side note : 99% of German cars have the filler on the passenger side of the car.. which I prefer.. I can’t stand the drivers side ones like the GT, or my Grand Cherokee .. most gas stations here have metal posts right next to each pump, and you have to be extra careful opening the drivers door every time because it generally aligns with those posts and you can ding the edge … especially huge / long doors like the GT has .. don’t ask me how I know 🥺

·
Registered
31 Posts
indeed, or the indicator/arrow is on the fuel gauge - very handy when driving a rental! And no idea why Maserati doesn’t follow this “etiquette“ - I’ll put it to Italian quirkiness..

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
171 Posts
indeed, or the indicator/arrow is on the fuel gauge - very handy when driving a rental! And no idea why Maserati doesn’t follow this “etiquette“ - I’ll put it to Italian quirkiness..
I tried telling folks that and several all said it wasn't true on their cars. Oh well, I did know to look for that. I still get confused sometimes between driving different cars.

I figured out the trick of hanging the cap...but mine doesn't have a strap on it so I had to put it somewhere!! :)

On my little beater ford car there is no cap, just a flap you push in with the nozzle. I actually kinda like it to be honest!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really? I thought that little hook was there to hang your hat while filling up gas. :LOL:
To be honest, I never even noticed the hook, only when I saw that my wife had hung her handbag on it, there my thoughts were stimulated... (I'm just kidding). ;)

I dork have really never seen this hook, it was a pure coincidence Yesterday that I have discovered this. It seems that this discovery has so flashed me that I wanted to drive off with the gas cap open. A passerby has knocked on my window and made me aware of the open lid.
But it gets worse! I had to drive on without refueling, because I no longer knew the code of my fuel card. No no, my health is still ok, these are the consequences of two weeks of vacation. Forgetting everything and discovering a new feature on my Granturismo at the same time, cool. I Think I need another two weeks of vacation. Who knows what will happen then. I will forget my name and at the same time find a button with which my Granturismo can fly.

In terms of small details: Something I also discovered quite late is the fold-out clothes hook. What a cool feature!

Wood Tints and shades Metal Auto part Bathroom accessory

But as I said, I did not claim to be the most intelligent. Until now, I was only interested in the look and sound of this car. But hey, this car has more surprises than I thought. For example, I didn't know that the car has two USB ports for the rear passengers. That's what my colleague told me recently when he had to sit in the back.

Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Rim Auto part

Am I possibly a dull superficial ignoramus? :oops:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny....I learn something NEW today as well....but not what you think!!!
I knew about the "hook" and have been using it for a few years, BUT I NEVER KNEW to use the "tip" as the place to hang it....I have always used the rubber strap and it always seems to short and not well thought out....but by your picture I learned to use the cap "tip" - awesome post! Thank you we both learned something new about this all-be-it in different ways! LoL
After all, you guys have discovered the hook, shame on me.

·
Super Moderator
5,017 Posts
This a great internet myth, but it is just that. There is no etiquette, it's just a 50/50 chance.

Would be nice if manufacturers did do it though.

C

·
Registered
31 Posts
It’s not actually, for most run of the mill brands you will find an arrow on the fuel gauge. I’m not so sure about the image with the nozzle on the correct side though, the image seems to mostly have the nozzle on the right. But I was surprised not to find an arrow on the Maserati.

Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Gauge Trip computer

Guitar accessory Automotive lighting Organism Font Eyewear

and erm… a Bentley Continental

Speedometer Plant Gauge Automotive design Car

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,662 Posts
This a great internet myth, but it is just that. There is no etiquette, it's just a 50/50 chance..
Well, yes and no .. maybe it’s only an American and/or Japanese cars thing .. I’ve rented many different makes and models ( when I drive on business trips I always rent cars because the company pays for everything so no need to add wear and tear on my cars ) and I’d have to say the large majority of them had one indicator or another as to which side the gas cap is .

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,662 Posts
[QUOTE="Jdubbya, post: 1016967, membe
On my little beater ford car there is no cap, just a flap you push in with the nozzle. I actually kinda like it to be honest!
[/QUOTE]

Same with our Jeep Grand Cherokee. However, in spite of the convenience , I don‘t like that feature.. it feels unsafe somehow ( in the event of an accident, vapors and gas escaping out much easier and leading to a significantly higher risk of ignition of the tank ) although I’m probably wrong because I’m sure the NTSB would never have given approval for that if it wasn’t tested and proven to be safe . On the other end of the spectrum, my Porsche gas cap can only be opened with the car‘s ignition key ( if you lock it that way ) ..which is a PITA every time you put gas in it , BUT there is a reason for that : the cover plate can be simply opened without any release buttons inside the car, so the gas cap lock is ostensibly there to prevent syphoning ( that kind of theft has been quite common as of late …) , or, some punk pouring sugar or whatnot in your gas tank, a prank also not all that uncommon . 😕

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I tried telling folks that and several all said it wasn't true on their cars. Oh well, I did know to look for that. I still get confused sometimes between driving different cars.

I figured out the trick of hanging the cap...but mine doesn't have a strap on it so I had to put it somewhere!! :)

It has the cap/close out built onto the door so you just close the door and it seals the opening??? I really like those.

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
171 Posts
It has the cap/close out built onto the door so you just close the door and it seals the opening??? I really like those.
Nope, it's just a hole where you stick the nozzle, the flapper is inside and you just push it in with the nozzle. Nothing on the exterior lid.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Nope, it's just a hole where you stick the nozzle, the flapper is inside and you just push it in with the nozzle. Nothing on the exterior lid.

View attachment 139527
Ah ok...well that's pretty cool too. I'm a fan of the cap free design.
Thanks for the picture. 👍

1 - 20 of 39 Posts