Maserati Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts
5,611 Posts
Best I remember that pipe feeds your heater pump so if you just pulled coolant from one head your heat maybe not as great....J

·
Registered
354 Posts
If I ever need to replace that hose I would prefer to just cap it off. I wonder if, after the cap-off, the coolant's circulation would be significantly diminished or if it would cool normally given all of the remaining coolant channels in the block...?

5,611 Posts
You can cap it, but what about the other end of the pipe...You would have to braze it closed or something...Better option would be just fit the car with the new solution pipe IMO..J

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Personally I’m a big fan of doing exactly what my mechanic recommends lol.
I would not cap it off. I’d be afraid in would over heat the heads and at minimum you would be looking at a Valve Job if not worse. The hose is there for circulation.

5,611 Posts
I would not cap it off. I’d be afraid in would over heat the heads and at minimum you would be looking at a Valve Job if not worse. The hose is there for circulation.
Not sure I agree there..When you go into a/c mode that coolant feed isn't gonna go through the heater core anyways...Why would you need a valve job? J

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not sure I agree there..When you go into a/c mode that coolant feed isn't gonna go through the heater core anyways...Why would you need a valve job? J
I had one of my big block engines on my boat overheat and it ended up burning out a couple of valves. I certainly don’t know these engines like you do Jason. But I would not cap of a coolant line, just my 2 cents.

5,611 Posts
You must have money to have a boat with a big block let alone two.( I love a big go fast boat)
:D I'm not a fan of blocking stuff off like that as well..J

Reactions: ddsski

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You must have money to have a boat with a big block let alone two.( I love a big go fast boat)
:D I'm not a fan of blocking stuff off like that as well..J
She’s not a Go Fast, but she is comfortable! And at this point her age is becoming Graceful.
Thank You for all of your knowledge. And Those pictures were great, whom ever posted those.
So, This hose is reachable from above after removing the intake manifold I’ve gathered.
Would this be the preferred approach if/when needed?
Thanks again for your help. Safe Travels.

5,611 Posts
You can remove the intake and replace that hose...Not really a great time, but doable...J

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am going to replace mine this winter with the new solution(update) setup. Not interested in being stranded in the Rockies facing a $1,000 tow bill LOL

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,399 Posts
For towing, you get up to 200 miles free with a AAA Premier membership which costs $ 120 / year ( which everyone should have no matter what, IMO.. a lot of benefits and services that come with that membership in addition to towing ..) but if you want to spend thousands of dollars on replacing parts which may, or may never break down, it’s your money so if that buys you peace of mind, by all means do it.
I live by the philosophy “ if it ain’t broke, don‘t fix it “, but hey, to each their own ..😎

p.s. there are two exceptions to that rule : 1) the “while you’re in there“ opportunity when having or performing some other service or repair and replacing an old worn out component which is relatively inexpensive and does not require too much additional labor , and 2) replacing cam timing belts at the recommended intervals on cars with interference engines ( not an issue for our GTs, we have timing chains, thankfully...)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am going to replace mine this winter with the new solution(update) setup. Not interested in being stranded in the Rockies facing a $1,000 tow bill LOL
I probably should know this but could you elaborate on what you mean by the "new solution"? I am in the Rockies, too. I may breakdown before my car's coolant hose (lol) so I'll probably postpose replacement until I am forced to do it. Regards.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello, I have read about the Coolant hose that runs between the engine and Transmission that
Without warning can let go and ruin your day. And the cost associated with the repairs.
Which car year and engine models are the problematic ones? Has this issue been fixed in later years? What years would you avoid?
Thank You all. Safe Travels.
I'm 100% sure all M139 QP's from 2009-2013 (I believe the Gran turismo also has this) - these cars need the heat exchanger to cool down the transmission. It is supposed to be maintained every 50,000 miles which I did not know. My hose blew up last 4th of july 2020 driving from SF > San Diego on i-5. I got towed to Ferrari of San diego, and got hit with a $2,700 bill. The parts are only $300. I could have done this myself back at home!!!!

*not sure about 2005-2008 Masi's but you prob don't want those cars since the transmission is shit for the non-automaticas!!!! and clutchs run $4k+ with minimal life

5,611 Posts
The heat exchanger for the transmission has no rubber lines..It is solid metal with braided stainless where it attaches to the transmission...The rubber line is on the crossover pipe betwwen the heads...You got flat out raped BTW...Can you say that these days??? sorry...J

·
Registered
18 Posts
ok so if i understand that hose in question

can be accessed from the top by taking off the intake plenum?

as well. what is the cause for the high failure rate or high enough to be a known issue?

poor quality hose?
bad location causing premature degradation?
something else?

someone else just posted another recent thread “ coolant hose problem”

with picture of the exact hose burst right near the clamp.

there must be something causing this hose to fail.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts