Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have read about the Coolant hose that runs between the engine and Transmission that
Without warning can let go and ruin your day. And the cost associated with the repairs.
Which car year and engine models are the problematic ones? Has this issue been fixed in later years? What years would you avoid?
Thank You all. Safe Travels.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had mine pop a couple years ago.

I was with my car club (nd4spd) and we were doing a rally from St Louis to KC via the back roads. Not too far from home, zipping along in the front third of the pack, the hose popped and belched antifreeze all over my buddy's 458. I didn't know anything was up until I hit a corner (kinda fast) and the ass end tried to come around. I looked at the gauges and noticed she was getting hot. I pulled over and called a flatbed hauler.

Fortunately, we've got an exotic car repair/tuner shop as a sponsor for our club. I sent the car to Habibi Motorsports and Ahmed took care of it for under $1k. I think it was around $800 or so for that hose. We didn't use the Scuderia hose as a simple Gates fit just fine. While he had it, I went ahead and did all of the hoses and belts. It wasn't that much more while he was in there.

I normally would do the repair myself but the position of that hose made it look like it would be a PITA to get to, so I gave it to Habibi.

Sure, it may be a bit of a problem but it shouldn't scare you off, especially if you are proactive about it. Have it replaced before it lets loose. Plus, you'll save yourself a tow bill.
Oh, mine is a 2013 with a 4.7.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi there.

i was actually just thinking about this recently. as i was aware this coolant hose was a weak spot on the GT.

i have a 2008 with 46k kms. and have no idea if the coolant was done. most likely not.

if someone can offer the part# please do i can look it up the Scuderia carparts diagram.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
2011 Granturismo S
78 Posts
227489 is the part I believe, approx $15, you'll also need to buy some quality worm clamps. I purchased mine thru Ricambi here in the USA, I know I could have used something from a local parts store but I needed other items so why not use original.

·
Premium Member
2011 Granturismo S
78 Posts
Sock, I thought it was all pre 2013 models, except maybe the F1 models, no idea why the F1 would have been different but my old brain seems to recall that tidbit.

5,566 Posts
I know there is a change there, but I'm not exactly sure of the VIN# or year off the top of my head...I fix 4 brands of cars...It is a lot of stuff to keep in your head honestly...I normally just prep people that we may need to do that hose with the intake off and then when we don't need to do it they are happy...Pretty sure someone with some time can figure that out via the parts catalog...The show old solution and new solution with stuff like that...J

·
Registered
867 Posts
I know there is a change there, but I'm not exactly sure of the VIN# or year off the top of my head...I fix 4 brands of cars...It is a lot of stuff to keep in your head honestly...I normally just prep people that we may need to do that hose with the intake off and then when we don't need to do it they are happy...Pretty sure someone with some time can figure that out via the parts catalog...The show old solution and new solution with stuff like that...J
That makes sense. I emailed Scuderia to see if they could figure it out. I know they know both parts but hopefully they can tell me if mine (2013) had the updated version before I go on a 1200 mile road trip with a little kid LOL

is there a way to tell by looking?

5,566 Posts
No, but I'm pretty sure a 2013 doesn't have that hose..it was more 2008-2010 cars best I remember..J

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See. I told you I don't know everything... 😉 J
Nice to have Knowledge among this Forum. It makes learning about potential issues less intimidating.
So, Would the Scuderia Part be of a better Quality than the Original Part? I would hate to replace the Weak Link, with the Same Part! Or would the Gates hose be a better fix? And maybe that part number could be posted as an alternative!?
For us DIYers, Does a detailed Job Instruction Exist? At least to determine if it’s
Something I would want to tackle or have done by others! I’ve learned to choose my battles more wisely these days.
Thank You to everyone for sharing. Safe Travels.

5,566 Posts
The best type of hose to replace it with would be a short piece of industrial hose...NAPA used to sell like 3 ft. straight sections of it.. The OE is just a pain in the ass to deal with on installation so avoid that...These hoses don't go out like this forum makes it seem BTW...I haven't done one in years..Just squeaky wheels making the most noise deal...J

Reactions: ddsski and Catmanv2

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,375 Posts
So starting with the 2013 models Maserati changed the location of the hose , where you don’t have to drop the transmission or remove the intake manifold to replace the hose ? And did they bother to upgrade the hose as well that year ?

Considering ScottF has a 2013 GTs , and the hose still failed I assume the hose upgrade answer is probably not, but wondering if the placement of the hose was changed in 2013 + cars and easier to access ..:unsure:

p.s. FWIW , I’m a fan of all Gates rubber products for cars..from hoses, to belts, etc. Great construction and durability / longevity , in my experience .

5,566 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I have no idea but maybe the hose pictured on the 2013 motor is an upgraded version. :unsure:
Rear coolant line 2.png
Rear coolant line.png

·
Registered
867 Posts

If you click on part# 40 and click the Info tab...It gives an engine # for ones equipped with a crossover pipe without a rubber hose it seems...J
SEE. You do know everything.

145106 to 156873 it says are the engines codes for that old solution

you're good at this job bro.

5,566 Posts
I would hope I have a clue at this point...33 years now and I'm not quitting...Some dudes want to go do parts about now etc..Not me..I'm in decent shape and make my young guys lift them 22" tires on the Range Rovers.... :p J

·
Registered
352 Posts
SEE. You do know everything.

145106 to 156873 it says are the engines codes for that old solution

you're good at this job bro.
This photo, off of a post on this site, shows the two ends of the hose "capped"
RenderedImage.JPG
. Is that an acceptable fix to cap it and not run any hose?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts