Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Registered
2014 Maserati Granturismo
Discussion Starter #1

I am impressed at the 620hp that this engine will produce out of a 3.0V6.
This engine is quite interesting. Has a 11:1 compression ratio, generally you don't see
that high compression ratio on a turbo. However by having a higher compression ratio, the engine
can run on lower boost and the turbo can have a longer life span. Another interesting thing about this
engine, is that it has a 90 degree configuration with a different firing order, than the current V6 engine. I think they
are going after a different sound. I still believe that a V8 just makes the best sound, that can't be replicated with less cylinders.

I would like to see them add the other 2 cylinders bringing it to a 4.0V8, where we could expect over 800hp.
That would be spectacular.
What do you think about this engine being a v6?

Registered
it's just a sign of the times. You won't see V8s much longer in any vehicle, but really not needed when the manufacturers can get 500-600hp from a 6 cylinder engine. Unfortunately you will never get the sound that a NA V8 can produce. The turbo kills the sound. I've heard clips of the MC20 and I didn't care for the sound 馃槙.

Registered
it's just a sign of the times. You won't see V8s much longer in any vehicle, but really not needed when the manufacturers can get 500-600hp from a 6 cylinder engine. Unfortunately you will never get the sound that a NA V8 can produce. The turbo kills the sound. I've heard clips of the MC20 and I didn't care for the sound 馃槙.
Like you, I think V8s sound great and lament their demise. That said, I do not think the sound of the new V6 will be as "bland" (especially at idle) as that in the clip from a few months back. I am pretty sure Maserati will finetune the sound and make it just fine.

Registered
You can never make a 6 sound like an 8. Although I'm sure that the engineers at Maserati will do their best to make the new engines sound as good as they can.

Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
Technically, Maserati's V8 is not dead, yet.

They still make the amazing 3.9L TT V8 for the Levante GTS and Trofeo.

Premium Member
You can never make a 6 sound like an 8. Although I'm sure that the engineers at Maserati will do their best to make the new engines sound as good as they can.
Could not agree more . And 鈥渁s good as they can鈥 will still not match a n/a V8. Turbos further muffle the glorious sound the engine produces, so even the twin turbo V8s don鈥檛 have the superb growl the n/a V8 generates, much less a 6 Cyl turbo. Also, as I posted in the MC 20 tread, recognizing this is very subjective, in addition to the rather pathetic sound, I also detest the way 6 cyl engines rev, and no matter how much power / how fast the cars may be , the 鈥渇eel鈥 of the 6 cyl engine is completely uninspiring to me. Perfectly ok in a sedan or a SUV, but in a sports car or a sporty touring car, it鈥檚 not something I鈥檇 ever consider, though I realize it鈥檚 the future ..as are electric cars, but I鈥檒l gladly live the rest of my life without either.

Registered
You know what's better than a n/a V8?...........a V12! (and a Ferrari V12 at that!)

Registered
So a 16 would be even better then?:unsure:
Hm....
Not really. I've heard a Veyron in person a couple years ago and it sounded like a big muscle car. Wasn't too impressed.

V12 Ferrari's and Lambo's have some of the best sounding engines in the world. V12 Aston's are pretty decent also.

V10 Lambo's are ranked pretty high up there also.

And let's not forget the legendary Lexus LFA.......probably has the best sounding engine of all time!

Registered
You know what's better than a n/a V8?...........a V12! (and a Ferrari V12 at that!)

View attachment 132276
So a 16 would be even better then?:unsure:
Hm....
Not many 16 cylinder cars have been made over the years, and I believe the only current car with one is the Bugatti Chiron. However, Maserati actually made a few 16 cylinder cars, the first dating back to 1929, which also set the world record for road cars back then.

Premium Member
Not in terms of sound ..to my ears anyway .. somehow the V12s ( in any car ) just can鈥檛 produce the sound of a V8, it either 鈥渟creams鈥 as is the case in Ferraris, or Lambos , which is not something I care for, or it鈥榮 more reserved, like in the Aston Martins.
Not bad, just not as balanced as the V8 . Same with that LFA and most Lamborghinis; a very thin sounding scream, like a humming bird on steroids .. great for the old F1 cars on a track, but not something I want to listen to in grand touring cars.
That said, the 599 is a car for which I drool , but would only get it in pure manual form ( I鈥檓 not a big fan of paddle shift / automatic trans in these kind of cars ) although there is no way I can justify 3 X the price of a regular 599 for it .. Not to mention the much bigger cost of what would be a sure divorce if my wife found out I paid $ 400,000 for a car馃槍

IMO think the Ferrari V8s with that flat plane crank have the best sound...I love the later v12 Ferrari cars and power band is excellent, but I'm not sure they sound better than a 355....Jason

Registered
My List for Best Engine Sounds:

1. Lexus LFA
2. Ferrari F12 TDF
3. Ferrari LaFerrari
4. Ferrari 458 Speciale
5. Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
6. Lambo Aventador SVJ
7. Porsche GT3 RS
8. Porsche Carrera GT
9. Lambo Huracan EVO
10. Ferrari 599 GTB/GTO
11. Maserati Granturismo
12. McLaren 720S

As you can tell, I'm bias towards the high-pitch "F1-sounding" engines. I don't particularly care for the deep, bass rumble sounds from American-style muscle cars. A lot of people love the AMG cars' rumble and believe they sound among the best, but for me, it's too "muscle car."

Reactions: Fineito

Premium Member
Two different schools of thought on exhaust sounds for sure, and it鈥榮 entirely subjective so there is no right or wrong, just individual preferences.
I take that back, the ONLY right or wrong is when it comes to electric car sounds.. if anyone asserts they prefer the sound of a sewing machine mating with a golf cart, they need to get off this forum ( or any other real cars forums for that matter ) 馃え馃槅

Registered
2014 Maserati GranTurismo Sport
I've heard Maseratis new six-cylinders, and I have to say, while they'll never be a match for the glorious sound of the GranTurismo's V8, Maserati really knows how to tune an exhaust. They do it better than anyone else, if you ask me, and if anyone can make a six-cylinder sound epic, I'd bet on them. They make a four-door sedan that sounds better than the V6 F-Type, and I'm convinced they'll make it even better on their higher-end cars.

Reactions: merak1974

Registered
My List for Best Engine Sounds:

1. Lexus LFA
2. Ferrari F12 TDF
3. Ferrari LaFerrari
4. Ferrari 458 Speciale
5. Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
6. Lambo Aventador SVJ
7. Porsche GT3 RS
8. Porsche Carrera GT
9. Lambo Huracan EVO
10. Ferrari 599 GTB/GTO
11. Maserati Granturismo
12. McLaren 720S

As you can tell, I'm bias towards the high-pitch "F1-sounding" engines. I don't particularly care for the deep, bass rumble sounds from American-style muscle cars. A lot of people love the AMG cars' rumble and believe they sound among the best, but for me, it's too "muscle car."
Obviously this is all subjective. But Aston Martin should be on that list I think. Neighbor has a GT3 and I find it whiny. The Vantage is a roar and when the valves open on a DB9 it is glorious. I do like the AMG sound but I know what you mean, it's German muscle.

Obviously this is all subjective. But Aston Martin should be on that list I think. Neighbor has a GT3 and I find it whiny. The Vantage is a roar and when the valves open on a DB9 it is glorious. I do like the AMG sound but I know what you mean, it's German muscle.
I agree..It is subjective...I just hate an Aston Martin BTW...Just the way the doors open gets me pissed...The engine is a parts bin special as well...Jason

1 - 20 of 44 Posts