Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big news for Maserati at this year's New York International Auto Show couldn't be found anywhere on the stand. But senior officials revealed to TheCarConnection.com that the Italian automaker is setting its sights on re-introducing its partner brand, Alfa Romeo, to theU.S. market next year.

"Sometime" in 2008 is as close to a fixed timetable Jim Selwa, U.S. head of Maserati, was willing to give, but that should give hope to long-suffering Alfisti, who have repeatedly watched as import plans have collapsed with erstwhile Alfa partners including General Motors.

Don't expect to see any of the mainstream models show up at Maserati/Alfa dealers, Selwa cautioned. Right now, the focus is on the Alfa 8C, a $200,000 supercar with a carbon-fiber body and a 4.7-liter V-8 that would, in U.S. trim, make in the neighborhood of 500 horsepower.

Selwa cautions there could still be hitches, and the biggest challenge is making sure the car "really is right for the U.S. market." That could involve details as subtle as cupholders, but it also requires that the 8C be fully federalized, able to meet tough U.S. emissions and safety standards, and that remains a work in progress.

When Maserati was revived, a few years back, it was paired with the top-line member of the broad Fiat family, Ferrari. But in an unusual move, the group realigned things, shifting responsibility for Maserati to the Alfa wing. Selwa stressed that while the two may be paired, Maserati has no plans to share Alfa platforms and parts.

There's certainly nothing Alfa in the new Gran Turismo, which had its first showing in Geneva and also appeared in New York . The coupe showed off what Selwa calls "the new family face of Maserati." Developed by Pininfarina, which also styled the four-door Quattroporte, the Gran Turismo is a marked visual shift in directions from the old Maserati Coupe, penned by Giugiaro, the other independent Italian design house.

Like the 8C, Maserati has insisted on making sure the Gran Turismo is properly outfitted for the States, though the changes are subtle, when compared to the European edition. There'll be more wood, for one thing, in the interior. Outside, the most notable difference is in the federalized "surround" for the coupe's headlights.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Aut...rati_Wants_to_Import_Alfa_8C.S173.A12195.html

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
there's always the cost of federalizing these low volume limited production cars. certainly for something priced like the enzo or CGT it might be worth the money. but if they are only getting 100/500 of these 8C's into the US, and considering their priority is to get the Alfa brand back, they will have to do it. further, they just might get the spyder in afterwards to bring the cost down.

·
Registered
660 Posts
There's certainly nothing Alfa in the new Gran Turismo, which had its first showing in Geneva and also appeared in New York . The coupe showed off what Selwa calls "the new family face of Maserati."
Enough said :mad:

Could not find a stronger argument ot keep my Coupe from the lips of a Maser official (what Jim Selwa is.) At least for the next couple of years. Still have some hope they will eventually see the light at the end of the tunnel... (yeah, but also hope those are not the headlights of a truck heading towards them...)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

Could not find a stronger argument ot keep my Coupe from the lips of a Maser official (what Jim Selwa is.) At least for the next couple of years. Still have some hope they will eventually see the light at the end of the tunnel... (yeah, but also hope those are not the headlights of a truck heading towards them...)
keep your coupe.

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts

have you seen the new gt in person? there have been several different models of cars that when i saw pictures of them i didn't like them but in person they looked great or they grew on me in time.

·
Registered
660 Posts
have you seen the new gt in person? there have been several different models of cars that when i saw pictures of them i didn't like them but in person they looked great or they grew on me in time.
Nope, TBH. I had planned to head to Geneva for the Motorshow, but work committments got in the middle :mad:

Couple of friends did go (Maser owners themselves) and were not impressed, not at all. Nothing that made them click. But agree seeing it in the flesh is the real deal.

On the other hand, performance-wise, at least on paper, is not a leap forward. Maybe a question of waiting for a couple of years and see modded versions appear?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Our GM went to New York to see the new GranTurismo. He said its a lot better looking in person. Much more masculine. From what I understand it will be making some press rounds later this year, and we may be able to get it here at some point during that time.
Did he get a chance to sit in it? Does it still feel svelte like a 911, or portly like a BMW 6?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm starting to warm towards this look. When the 450bhp version comes on line I'll be much more interested. However Mark - you've got to sell it. Can you tell us whether your getting many inquiries yet. Are you looking for houses in Bermuda?

·
Registered
71 Posts
New coupe!

Went to the NY auto show monday and my thoughts on the new car!

1, If you have the old coupe it's a nice upgrade if you have the GS keep your car!!!

2, It looks great on the outside and yes the inside is more cross between Mercedes Sl and A Bentley GT! Nice but not as sporting as before!

3, Needs more power if you are looking for a performance car this is a true lux cupe!

4, The truth in in the cup holders 2 in the fron and 2 in the back that makes it clear where this car is going!

5, Do I think I would traid my 05 GS in for the new car NO WAY!!

But all in all it's a hot looking car that will be a cheaper alternitive to the Bentley thats the level I would put it on! It's a Lux Italian car now with some sporting background!

So this makes Ferrari all out sport! Maserati lux/sport aka M series or AMG and Alfia Romeo the base car brand stock BMW/ Mercedes! All in one stop shopping your local Ferrari/Maserati/Alfia Dealer

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Went to the NY auto show monday and my thoughts on the new car!

1, If you have the old coupe it's a nice upgrade if you have the GS keep your car!!!

2, It looks great on the outside and yes the inside is more cross between Mercedes Sl and A Bentley GT! Nice but not as sporting as before!

3, Needs more power if you are looking for a performance car this is a true lux cupe!

4, The truth in in the cup holders 2 in the fron and 2 in the back that makes it clear where this car is going!

5, Do I think I would traid my 05 GS in for the new car NO WAY!!

But all in all it's a hot looking car that will be a cheaper alternitive to the Bentley thats the level I would put it on! It's a Lux Italian car now with some sporting background!

So this makes Ferrari all out sport! Maserati lux/sport aka M series or AMG and Alfia Romeo the base car brand stock BMW/ Mercedes! All in one stop shopping your local Ferrari/Maserati/Alfia Dealer
let's first talk about the topic here: the ALFA 8C... (Alfia??????).
i think this baby is all out sport. not base car brand stock.
certainly standard alfa cars could be consider base car brand stock (whatever that means).

item #1 - i think already some coupe owners already expressed that the GT is not a nice upgrade. you think they would pay $60k+ to get into a GT with the same hp?

as for comparison to bentley, i hate to say, those who love their bentley would be easily reminded the 550hp+ engine. sadly the Granturismo has only 405. that is not on the same level.

·
Registered
71 Posts
let's first talk about the topic here: the ALFA 8C... (Alfia??????).
i think this baby is all out sport. not base car brand stock.
certainly standard alfa cars could be consider base car brand stock (whatever that means).

item #1 - i think already some coupe owners already expressed that the GT is not a nice upgrade. you think they would pay $60k+ to get into a GT with the same hp?

as for comparison to bentley, i hate to say, those who love their bentley would be easily reminded the 550hp+ engine. sadly the Granturismo has only 405. that is not on the same level.

I was just responding to the comments on the new coupe not the alfa car but! If you read it the way I met it base car brand as in the Mercedes or BMW base cars. This is where alfa is in the same market as a Italian choice in the market segement with the germans. Not the AMG or M models! Those cars are what Maserati is trying to go after!

As for people with the GT it is a great car but I think that the new coupe is a good choice for them to upgrade up 15hp not to much but as fas as style and looks the new car is much nicer! But that is my take!

Lastly I said nothing about the same power it is true that the power is in two total leagues! But I was compareing the looks of the car and the level at which they are made in terms of interior with both being pices of art! It is another choice I mean the car is going to go for 120plus with options im sure! So 30-40 price its a cheeper choice in this level and has Italian style and looks and it has no relationship to VW!!

Just my thoughts on the car!

PS the 8C is a truly nice car but it should have been a Maserati!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Our GM went to New York to see the new GranTurismo. He said its a lot better looking in person. Much more masculine. From what I understand it will be making some press rounds later this year, and we may be able to get it here at some point during that time.

You think a GM of a Maseati dealer is going to dislike the new model? PLEASE! Of course he loves it. And I bet he hopes we all love it too ;)

·
Registered
660 Posts
he might not like it but he would never let you know that.;)
As the brand GM at my dealership (very nice and honest guy) told me today by e-mail [and I quote]

Some feel that the brand has metomophosized beyond recognition

And given that I am looking to replace my baby, and he's not been very keen/pushy on signing-me up for the new GT, in a way shows that's pretty much what he also thinks.

Again, it's all a question of taste.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts