Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to add my request for any leads on a good tech or shop in the Detroit area? Also, I just purchased my car from an independant seller, prior to purchase my local dealer was very helpul in pulling vehicle history, in svc date and putting me in contact with the original selling/service dealer for maintenance records. During my dlsp visit the service mgr took the opportunity to inform me that if I get all my service work done at an authorized Maserati dlsp any major mechanicals that may fail within a reasonable time after warranty (not maintenance) would most likely be taken care of or at least financially offset by Maserati. Any experience/support for this claim?
Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

For an independent, try Jeff Jones at Automotive Techniques in Novi on Grand River - www.automotivetechniques.net. He does mostly Porsche, but does exotics as well. He did a few minor fixes for me, oil change at half of what the dealer quoted. He has an enclosed trailer and can pickup/deliver if needed, and dropped off my spyder in the fall for no charge after working on it (we had some heavy snow while it was in his shop). You will still need to go to one of the dealers for a new clutch or other things that require special tools like an SD2.

Cauley was helpful with service records when I bought mine from a private seller, but then messed me up on the warranty (told me it was still under warranty when I bought it, but they ended up being wrong), and did not handle the mistake well - reluctantly admitted to it, but not contrite and only after complaining offered a reduced charge for the work that still represented what seems like a ridiculously high price to fix what I had been (wrongly) told was going to be covered under warranty. From the boards I get the impression they are a decent place, but they screwed up with me. I will probably try the Troy dealer if and when I need something big done.

FYI, on ferrarichat they are discussing a scenic May 9th drive from Grand Rapids up to Mackinaw (and so probably an overnight stay up there). Don't know if I will be able to do it, but I have a friend in G.R. with a new Lambo that I might see if he's up for it as well. See http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227631. Post #40 has a map.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info -

I was planning on the dealer doing a full inspection to determine brake/clutch likfe etc. Sounds like he would be a good guy for adding my mods, fluids etc.
Thanks. Also, I may be interested in that rally up tp Mack island but I would spend the night. I did the Aoutomobile cirlcle tour a few years back and it was a blast, great people, fun and stories. I'll keep track of the final plan and I willing to help coordinate if necessary.
Let me know and thanks for dropping me a line!
Steve I'm in BHam, where are you?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Steve I'm in BHam, where are you?
I'm in Franklin. I have kids at Covington and Groves.

Saw a QP today on Northwestern, but only about once a month or so do I see a Maserati at all. I haven't put the full insurance back on mine yet for the season, I might wait another month, but its getting harder to keep it in the garage as the weather improves.

- Jim

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moving to the Lounge

Jim, it sounds like we have twins, my spyder is triple black as well. I'll repost my original tech request in the lounge and try to continue what is now a MI thread over there...i'm new and just getting a feel for the rules/etiquete of the site. My old Vette and Caddy are insured with Citizens but even with a clean record they would not insure my Gran Sport so I went with Hagerty (at least for now). It's $100 a month but unlike my vette I dont have to do the seasonal switch of coverage. BTW, I'm very interested in that driving event you sent. I was in one of the Automobile mag "Circle tour" around lake MI and it was 4 days of fun.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I posted a second reply in your new thread in the Driver's Lounge. There is a Midwest forum which is the better place to post for regional issues.

Let's keep in touch about that upcoming drive in case we can both make it.

- Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts