Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
So google finds me lots of old thread where people discuss swapping the TCU from the F360, or flashing the F360 software onto the existing TCU. There is usually a lot of arguing about how the 4200 and GS are different, someone usually talks about how they should just buy a F360 instead of being poor, then something about production numbers, how the alignment of Jupiter and the conjunction with Venus affect the gear box internals and eventually the original question never gets answered.

It has been a good decade since people started asking these questions - surely someone has an answer by now!

Can the TCU be swapped from an F360 to a GS/4200, do you even need to go that far and can you just flash the software?

Considering the TCU for the GS/4200 and F360 are super easy to find more than a decade after these cars hit the shelf, if someone with the technical know how to tell me if its even possible, I might just give it a crack.
What are you trying to achieve? Someone might have different answers is you tell us what your goal is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good God man do you know anything about cars? Your talking a good game but your scared to try anything, buy a TCU and try it. Leave Jason alone he's forgot more about cars then you'll ever know, he answered your questions you didn't like the answer so you started blasting him. he's not going to hold you hand and walk you through the garden of car repairing. Go out try it then come back and say hey look what i found out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good God man do you know anything about cars? Your talking a good game but your scared to try anything, buy a TCU and try it. Leave Jason alone he's forgot more about cars then you'll ever know, he answered your questions you didn't like the answer so you started blasting him. he's not going to hold you hand and walk you through the garden of car repairing. Go out try it then come back and say hey look what i found out.
He answered literally nothing, then insulted me about how much he knows about cars and how it would be impossible for me to know as much, then deleted his comment when I called him out on it.

The first Lamborghini I ever worked on was because of people like him who make their customers feel stupid for asking questions. Just charging people for things they don't fix then put it down to 'you couldn't possibly understand'.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What are you trying to achieve? Someone might have different answers is you tell us what your goal is.
Can the TCU be swapped from an F360 to a GS/4200, do you even need to go that far and can you just flash the software?

3,654 Posts
Damn, two days in a row of running that mouth...Do you know what TCU foes into a 4200/GS....A 4200/GS TCU....Period....A 360 runs higher pressures and uses a different pump than a 4200 so asking the earlier pump to operate at higher pressures is probably not a good idea.Unless you think the people that made it are dumb or something...There is your question answered and I'll will not be helping you with anything else here......Good day Sir....Jason

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Damn, two days in a row of running that mouth...Do you know what TCU foes into a 4200/GS....A 4200/GS TCU....Period....A 360 runs higher pressures and uses a different pump than a 4200 so asking the earlier pump to operate at higher pressures is probably not a good idea.Unless you think the people that made it are dumb or something...There is your question answered and I'll will not be helping you with anything else here......Good day Sir....Jason
I think you need to help me with something first before saying you won't help me with anything else will have any impact.

I like the way you contribute something useful 25 comments in after someone else already said it and try to take ownership as if you contributed.

The F360 was released in 1999 with the F1 transmission, the Coupe was released in 2001 with the CC transmission. So aside being wrong that it is the 'earlier' transmission, they're also the same pump. So not only haven't you helped me with anything first, you're also not helping anyone by being wrong.

You obviously don't want to participate, so just stop.

3,654 Posts
I'm sorry, it is actually the 430 that has a different pump..I work on a variety of Maserati and Ferrari and can get mixed up...My bad. I have contributed enough on here buddy that I don't need to latch on to other folks post ...Just ask them...Good luck with your project ....Jason

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
Unless you are looking for something to change, who cares? What I'm asking is: why do you want F360 software? What is the goal? Are you trying to get faster shifts? Bragging rights?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Cost and accessibility. Plus I've driven a 360 CS and the shifting is very different than the standard car, so it has some effect. What I'm suggesting is literally the exact same as how people get flash and chip tunes - its just another computer.

It seems that the TCU used in the Gransport is the same later model used in the CS. The flash memory used is AM29F200AB-90SI and the data sheet can be found here http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/info_redirect/datasheets2/48/487296_1.pdf.shtml

From that you can get everything you need to know to dump and flash the chip with whatever you want, and that is how the 360 guys have been using the Maserati TCU to install the CS software as an upgrade for their cars as its cheaper than but still the same unit used in the CS. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of tech and DIY people on the Ferrari/Maserati world, so there aren't detailed guides on tear downs and bin files to look at. It also seems very unlikely that there is a VIN interlock on the parts.

That said, I'm under the impression that the proper dealer tools allowed for an in-situ update over OBD-2, so if I can find a dealer who is familiar with the process there might be a way to just flash it in the car without dismantling the parts on a bench.

I've also found a tuner (who is closed for the Christmas/New Year) who claims to have edited some elements of the throttle map so I'll see what they can contribute once I get hold of them.

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
Ok, I think I understand what you're trying to do. Perhaps if you had simply started with only asking if the F360 TCU software will work in an M138, you would save a lot of time. After you get it to actually talk to one ECU instead of two, you will need to adjust all of the parameters because you have a very different engine with very different torque curves and values in a car that has very a very different weight, coupled to a different set of gears. By the time you work through all of that, you might as well just rewrite the one you have.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1 thing I have gathered reading this is, I at times, get frustrated with unknowledgeable people in my profession. 99.9% of the time, I keep in mind that not everyone will value my knowledge and some will take my response as insulting, which it seems happened here. The .1% I respond in a condescending way if they try and demean me. Stay humble.

I'm a computer programmer. I've dipped and dabbled in vehicle programming. I agree with others that if you want to know how compatible these parts are, you will have to buy a unit and tear it down. You would be providing a service to everyone. But, you will find that the cost outweighs what you are looking to achieve.

3,654 Posts
I'm just glad both of you guys are here...You know, computer programmer guys...I do have a question... I may not know a lot, but why would you guys think you can just jump on automotive forum and any of the people would know about anything you are talking about?.. Bin files etc..? That doesn't seem very smart at all.. Here is what I do know...Stuff like this ends up going nowhere...Jason

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I'm just glad both of you guys are here...You know, computer programmer guys...I do have a question... I may not know a lot, but why would you guys think you can just jump on automotive forum and any of the people would know about anything you are talking about?.. Bin files etc..? That doesn't seem very smart at all.. Here is what I do know...Stuff like this ends up going nowhere...Jason
Perhaps you should rethink the value you really bring when all you do is show up to tell people they're not good enough to follow their interests. Is your life really that miserable that you only get satisfaction by telling everyone that you're better than them? Go away, you haven't contributed a single useful thing, though I can tell you can't help yourself and you'll come back for another last word.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Jason has provided a lot of useful information over the years.I don't think you have been around long enough to make a statement like that.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Always do, I never come in swinging at people for knowing less than me and always happy to answer a question I know the answer to!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts