Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya. Newborn newb here. Hoping y'all can help.

Had my 1st "modern era" Maserati driving encounter today - a 2009 Gran Turismo S. After 45 minutes of unabated and joyous flirtation, I have an Italian mistress whispering naughtiness in my ear :cool: and throwing wrenches all over the place. :confused: Read on.....

After 2 years of research, I planned to soon buy or place an order for a Porsche 911 Turbo, which I have already test-driven and spec'd, but that was before today's Italian dalliance.

These are two very different cars, of course, but, w/ young ones, my idea of a station wagon is a 2+2 (Italian or German), so that narrows it down considerably. It's gonna be either/or. I can figure that part out for myself.

This is where I need the help: I would like to hear from anyone who can talk about their "modern era" Maserati experiences. Pros and cons. Is your car reliable? Does it regularly behave and perform the way you expect? How would you rate your service and warranty experiences? Anything you wish the car should have, but doesn't? Anything lacking? Anything unexpected?

On it's own merits, tell me why I should or shouldn't choose the 2009 Gran Turismo S. Any input is helpful. Talk me down, talk me up. Please.

Thank you!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Have had mine a week, only got to drive it for 4 days, but 450 miles in during. In those 4 days, Id instantly buy it again at full price. i think service experiences will vary by dealer. i was going to buy a CL63 AMG, SOOO glad i didnt. the Porsche vs. GT-S is a hard compare, they are really filling 2 different niches, so deciding which one you fall into, may be the better factor to base your decision on. ill be posting a more full review soon, just wanted to put some time in it, before posting...

·
Registered
349 Posts
You should get some good feedback here. There are 2 USA GranTurismo S owners that post here regularly, I think one or two from Europe and several here that have orders on one, myself included.

Like you said, a 911 Turbo and GranTurismo S are really 2 different cars. I think it depends too whats in your head. If you have to be convinced to stick with the Porsche, something about the Maserati made you think twice. I know that feeling, as I'm a former owner of both Porsche and Maserati. The Porsche to be frank will probably be more fun, clearly faster and a car that inspires confidence. The memories I have of my Porsche was it made me want to push it harder and harder, it tested your limits which always fell short of the limits of the car. By contrast, my test drive of the GranTurismo S, made me realize that even with all its improvements, the great suspension, the F1 transmission the incredibly brilliant exhaust its still not a sports car, its a GT first and foremost and at its price point the best available today. Is a Ferrari 612 or Alfa 8C worth twice as much as a GranTurismo S, no way. If your looking for more a fly by the seat of your pants experience, you might be better off with the Porsche. The GranTurismo S to me is a throwback car that sounds like a 60's Ferrari, can hold 4 and has styling that arguably is the best of any production car today. Its a car thats truly usable and will get you looks and thumbs up with every passerby. It might not be a fun as the Porsche, but thats not what it was designed for.

Lastly, the bottom line is when your making a choice between a 911 Turbo and a GranTurismo S technically there is no wrong decision, you win no matter what, its simply a matter of what sensations you want out of a car because these two cars cleary give great ones, but their very different. The Porsche you feel through your hands as you drive it, the Maserati you smell the leather, you hear the exhaust, you see its exterior design. Clearly different senses going on between the two.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Gran turismo S

For me it would definitely be the gran turismo S, Theres one at my dealership in blue. I do not even want to test drive it because, I'll buy it, and I would probably have to trade my Qp sport in which I don't really want to do. I think the qp is so much fun down the back roads and enjoys being driven hard whereas the Porsche is great as a second car.But lets get it straight wheres the technology in turbos ( fake horsepower) give me a linear v8 anyday not a flat 6 from 1960 and a Japonese interior with a very light front end. Oh and did I mention the new F1 gearbox superb. The verdict is still out on the dsg but if its available on the Porsche I would opt for that, I will never go back to stick! But to each his own.You have to remember italians are inovators even for the sake of developement.

06 qp sport
06 gs spyder
06 gs coupe (pending)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
awful car! just worthless... just absolute garbage, full of problems! You know what, its so bad that you should buy it as a charity (Maserati needs the money to make a good car in the future) and then just give it to... to... me! :)

yes yes thats a great idea, its such a bad car, we'll be doing the world a favour! You pay for it as a charity and i'll drive it so that nobody else will have the misfortune of driving it!

oh yeah! :)

PS:
since the 4200 engine, the new manufacturing plant, the new quality and control rules imposed by Ferrari, the new masers are perfect, reliable and unique. Go for it! err... i mean buy it for me! :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
hmmm, maserati or porsche...good one. Let me make a suggestion. Hear one of each with a nice exhaust system, and then ask the nearest sexy lady which she prefers. You will go 2 for 2 with the Maserati. LOL, for real though, go with your gut, with what you feel inside. For me, my Coupe GT was a feeling, not a suggestion. I didn't care what was better, or how much it cost. I had to have it. My car is my soul, choose wisely, Grasshopper... :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Are you guys crazy????

How can you even question it? Maserati all the way!!! Anyone can own a Porsche and the few and the proud own a Maserati.. The sounds, the smell, the power, the comfort, the looks, all of it in a Maserati is a treat for the human senses. The same can never be said for anything else other than a Ferrari...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had the same dilemma. I was deciding between the 911 turbo, the Aston Martin Vantage/db9, or the Maserati ranturismo S.

I wasn't that into the Porsche, to be honest. Here are the negatives. There are a lot of Porsches around where I live (Toronto, Canada). They are as common as Toyota Corollas, so they are not really special (there are two 997 turbos on my street alone). Second, the back seats are useless. Third, the Turbo is a great car if you can do a track day once a month, or if you live in Germany and can hit the Autobahn. Otherwise, what's the point? The interior is still disappointing, and the ride is harsh in regular traffic.

I liked the Aston Martin Vantage, which I think is as attractive as the Maserati, but the lack of back seats is an issue as I have kids. I am sure that they are going to want to go for a ride in Daddy's car. So then I have to consider a DB9, which is a lot more expensive.

The first time I test drove the Maserati GT S I realized this was the car for me. The sound of the engine in sports mode had me sold. This is a car in which I don't think I would ever turn on the stereo. I am going to drive this thing in sports mode, and it doesn't matter if I am going 50 or a 100, it is a thrill to drive.

As a sports car, it is not how fast the car goes. Everyone is so obsessed with 0-60 times, etc. Unless you are a track junkie, this is useless. What it is all about is the passion of the car, how it makes you feel. It is about the sound of the car, the look, it is a visceral experience. The car should give you a special feel. I feel this is what the German cars lack (I have an M5). They are technically brilliant cars, but they lack passion. You can admire and appreciate a German car, but you can never fall in love with them.

I chose the Maserati Granturismo S because I know it will thrill me no matter where I drive it, whether it is going downtown on city streets or hitting the highway. And I know it will be special, how many GTs, let alone GT S's, do you see every day? And consider its big brother (sister?) company, Ferrari. It is less than half the price of a 612, but it is probably 3/4 the car.

The Granturismo S is like a beautiful woman. There may be a few details that are less then perfect, but when you put it all together, it is breathtaking.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
If you are into track days, don't need to drive the car often and don't mind being one of many, I'd say Porsche.

If you do an odd track day or two a year, want/have to drive the car fairly regularly and prefer something not everyone has, I'd say Maserati.

Reliability, the modern Masers are very good. It took a few years for Ferrari to get the necessary quality controls in place but since Ferrari and Maserati share a lot of parts, even assembly lines, I'd say you should be alright.

Can't comment on dealers though, as I reside on the other side of the Ocean. The guys here are pretty good.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Gran Turismo

Was watching a documentary the other night about the war when the germans stole all the art work from the Louvre who in turn took a lot of art from the italians. It finally dawned on me why no one can build a car like the Gran Turismo S.

06 QP sport
06 gs spyder

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input, y'all. Easy to see the love for the car.

I know cars at this level are so much about the emotion they evoke from the driver, but the info/advice I need most is not whether I should choose Porsche or Maserati, but whether the Maserati is up to snuff in terms of quality - mechanically. The GT-S appeals emotionally, no doubt. My driving session yesterday was a complete thrill, but I'm looking for unadulterated logic.

My last foray into the world of Maserati was in the pre-Chrysler Biturbo days. Luckily, I displayed at that critical moment a level of otherwise elusive maturity and walked away, knowing that the car was a mound of headache and heartache in the making. I was scared away forever; or, so I thought.

In order to buy a Maserati, I need to have the confidence that the modern era Maserati is a sturdy and quality auto - close to or on par with the best. What say ye on this matter?

Thanks again for the responses.

P.S. Would love to hear some reviews from GT or GT-S owners. ;)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I hate to admit it, but Maserati is definitely not as reliable as a Porsche.

BUT

I don't buy cars because they are reliable, i buy them by heart and soul, and a Porsche is at the same level as a silly japanese Hyundai or Mitsubishi... definitely not something i would drive, no matter how fast it goes or how many the bhp.

So if you want to be feel alive, be moved by the beast of a machine, feel things you never know existed and excite yourself, then buy the Maserati. If you are too old and boring and need reliable things in your life, go buy the Porsche... or a Hyundai...

PS:
Don't buy a Maserati older than 2004 or so, they are too unreliable and badly build even for my taste (especially the 3200 or older cars).

·
Registered
581 Posts
It seems to me that in your mind it is a foregone conclusion that Porsche has the reliability and quality that you seek. I think this is a fallacy based on experiences that some of my friends are having with their Porsches. From what I can tell based on admittedly a very small sample population you can expect as many issues with Porsche as any other high performance car. With Maserati I think the consensus is that the engines are pretty much bullet proof and maybe the best high output V8's ever made. The transmissions are race bred (F1 version) so really up to your driving style how long the clutch lasts etc. All Italian products seem to have electrical quirks so this may be where you will have some frustration until the kinks are sorted out. Keep in mind these are hand built low production cars so there are probably going to be some "mistakes" that have to be sorted out under warranty. I doubt there will be more issues than with a Porsche though. I would meet with the service maanger at the dealership you are talking to and feel him out. Get to know the mechanics as well - are they as passionate about the cars as you are? Compare to Porsche service guys. When you have a high end product with complicated systems support and service is a, if not THE, major concern. In the end it boils down to what makes your heart race! For me the choice was easy!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
The GT-S has not been on the street long enough to get a good feeling for reliability. You'll want to target GranTurismo owners who may be coming up on a year of ownership. Ive been on the forum since May, and do not recall 1 post on a reliability complaint from a GranTurismo owner...anyone else recall anything???

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't think reliability will be a concern. Maserati is owned by fiat, and shares technology with Ferrari. I don't think the GT S will be any less reliable than a Ferrari. Maserati has 10 % of it's workforce devoted just to quality control. I think if reliability is a big factor, you would have already seen it with the Quatroportte.

Look, the car comes with a 4 year warranty, which is longer than most in the exotic car market. One of the reasons I choose the GT S is that I plan on keeping the car that long.

I also like that my dealer also sells Ferraris, and I get treated just as well as a Ferrari buyer. With limited production, you do get individualized service and treatment.

I would not let reliability be a concern in making your decision.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Theres one guy on this board that had a lot of problems with a GranTurismo, I'm sorry I don't remember his screen name. They ended up fixing a lot of the problems, but it took months of trying. Thats sounds like an old Italian car war story, but the investment Maserati has made in quality and their factory is miles ahead from the BiTurbo days. I think the dealer finally ended up giving him a great deal on a GranTurismo S to keep him as a customer even though his car now is perfectly functioning.

I think if anything could be a problem with the S, and like Adam has said its too new to make a call, could be the gearbox and clutch wear 4 to 7 years down the road of which you might have sold the car by then when the warranty expires. If you plan to keep it for ten plus years then yes, there might be a chance of big bills. All F1 trannys seem to go through this, the positive spin though is this is not their first generation paddle shift, the one in the S is more like 4 or 5th generation so I would hope a lot of the bugs have been worked out. It is the same one used in the current Ferrari 599 which carrys with it a lot more power, that might not mean much as Ferrari is not bullet proof either, but felt it was worth noting. There are still occassional nitpick things with quality in my opinion like a Maserati logo might not be perfectly centered on the dashboard, but I'll take that any day over an engine failure of which the noise has been pretty low.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my 05 GS 3.5 years ago and just have a few minor problems, one example was the ventilation control unit and the dealer here in Toronto took care of it under warranty.

I was sold once the sales manager start up the demo GS inside the shown room floor and you can imagine the sound of the exhausts!!! Also the dealer here is very helpful and friendly up to this date.

The other factor was the GS can fit two adults into the back seat for a night out which is very useful at times when we need to go out with friends.

The third major factor was the much rarer Maser here, like KENTO mentioned above, there are lots of Porsches out there and look at the latest sales figures in US at www.worldcarfans.com indicates Porsche sold 23,388 units form Jan to Nov 08 with a 25% drop from last year, however Maserati sold only 1,479 unit to date but with a 1.9% gain! So if you are looking for exclusiveity, go with the Maserati.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Granturismo S - now done approx 1500 miles and no problems to report, it will be difficult for you to glean any real information on reliability as they have only been on the road for such a limited amount of time. I have had mine for approx 8 weeks. I love it ! This is my first Masesrati experience and thus far it has been faultless.

I have had Porche previously and I agree with other posts on this site that they are entirely different animals. I went for the Maserati partly because of its scarcity but mainly because of its beauty, neither of these can be matched by Porsche.

It is not a fully fledged sports car but that, for me, was one of its attractions - I wanted the comfort and cosseting that a premier GT provides and if you want a walk on the slightly wilder side then sports mode tends to satisfy that desire as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! Good responses, all. And, convincing. :D Thanks, so much.

Agree w/ all points about the warranty, engine and the evolution of the F-1-type tranny.

The comment about talking w/ the service manager or supervising mechanic is a great idea. That person should be able to tell me what he sees most often and what he dislikes about the mechanical makeup of the car. Gonna do that!

In regard to the Ferrari and Porsche comparisons:

In 1986, I bought a Ferrari 328 GTS. Overall, it was a good car and was the beginning of or maybe just prior to an era in which Ferrari began it's move towards a more quality-oriented manufacturing culture. The 328 had a few quirks, but, aside from regular maintenance, a blown 85-cent fuse - which would make the car inoperable - and my reluctance to take it out in storms, nothing kept it off the road. I immensely enjoyed that car and racked up the miles on it as it was mostly hassle-free.

If the Maserati GTS is considerably more reliable than that (and 20+ years later, why shouldn't it be?), I'd be pleased. And, with Bosch onboard, the silly electronic issues endemic to Italian cars of prior vintage should be near to nil, no?

As far as Porsche reliability goes: We've owned 2 and known many others who owned them, so, again, I can rely on experience. Aside from an occasional small issue and having to replace tires way more frequently than to my liking, the cars were largely hassle-free.

Based on my experience w/ Porsche, if the modern-day Mas can be mentioned in the same breathe as today's Porsche - or even Ferrari - when discussing quality, then I am at ease. But, can it?

Jaciro, loved this quote by you: "Was watching a documentary the other night about the war when the germans stole all the art work from the Louvre who in turn took a lot of art from the italians. It finally dawned on me why no one can build a car like the Gran Turismo S." LOL, but true!

P.S. For around $150K, I would expect that Maserati could center the logo on the dasboard - or anywhere else. ;)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.