Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First-time owner, long-time listener here...

When shifting the Spyder cambiocorsa, should you take your foot off the gas when paddle shifting, like you would do with a standard manual shift? I just keep my foot on the gas pedal, but I'm not sure that's what I should be doing.

You'll be hearing lots more from my fiancee and I as we just purchased our first Maserati...and love it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The transmission was designed not to. Some members on this forum do, but no need to and from my experience it seems happier when you don't.

·
Registered
799 Posts
'My personal experience' is that when you let off on the gas it jerks more.
I keep it consistent and level when shifting manual.
My 4th,5th,6th is smooth. Still working on smooth shifting from 1,2,3.
Quicker shifts on from 1 - 2 and 2-3 and 3-4 around 2200-2500 seems noticeably smoother shifts.

When I mean smooth shifting I mean you don't even notice it has shifted.
The lower gears for me shows a little head bobbing.

Lower RMP up shifting between 2000-2800 is smoother (no head bobbing) than shifting when 3500-5000. I only downshift when slowing down and the current gear I am in falls roughly below 2200-2000 rpm. Or I just slow down to a stop and just leave whatever gear I am in and it goes down to 1st gear when I stop.

This was suggested to me by my buddy who drives stick on a Chrysler with 200k on original clutch.

·
Registered
581 Posts
No offense but sounds like grandma behind the wheel. :D These are Italian sportscars that like to rev! :cheers:

·
Registered
688 Posts
The manual is not paying for new clutches either. No has yet to tell me where
the heat goes when you speed shift that clutch because that is all you are doing. Same as doing in a manual but with more slip. If you do it in a manual you will eat a clutch up in 10 to 20K. Just about the same as these last on average.

·
Registered
431 Posts
shifting style

Jerky Shifts? Depends upon which year car you have and which software you have installed and if the software recall has been done AND if you drive like you're driving Miss Daisy.

Always drive in sport and manual mode to save on clutch and max enjoyment. When I drove my car in auto, the shifting was not smooth but got a little smoother if I took my foot of the gas pedal. I didnt realise at the time that this car with auto button is NOT a true automatic. It will not and has not been designed to be as smooth as a MERC. People complained about the jerky gearbox paddleshift which is why they did a recall and updated part of the software on earlier cars (this is called a reflash of the older software). Once the old software is deleted, you can not get it reinstalled-I dont think,. The new software makes it slower ( see old posts using search).

I have the old software and I am glad that I didnt take up on the recall. I like the jerky shift with NECK SNAPPING ACCELERATION. It really wakes up the car especially if you have the tuning upgrades installed (BMC filter, Denso spark plugs, and ofcourse FD drive by wire etc..)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Foot in it - sort of ...

My contribution from my experience w/ my 2002 Coupe* is to keep your foot lightly on the accelerator when up shifting - and a little heavier on downshift at nearly every RPM. I do not feel a thing. But I do go to neutral when a stop is coming up - easier on the clutch and throwout bearing. I do this on my other cars too ...

* do not know which version of shift SW I have though

·
Registered
109 Posts
My contribution from my experience w/ my 2002 Coupe* is to keep your foot lightly on the accelerator when up shifting - and a little heavier on downshift at nearly every RPM. I do not feel a thing. But I do go to neutral when a stop is coming up - easier on the clutch and throwout bearing. I do this on my other cars too ...

* do not know which version of shift SW I have though
damn i just got my 2005 cambiocorsa coupe 3 weeks ago and ive been lifting my foot (cuz thats what you do for normal manuals)
GOod thing i read this maybe shifting will be faster/smoother now.

you said you always go to neatrual when your going to stop. so lets say you are on gear 6, youl switch to neatrual when coming to the stop? I cn see how thats easier on the clutch as it doesnt have to downshift through the other 5 gears. I'll have to try that

·
Registered
72 Posts
Neutral ...

Yes 'King, neutral it is, but don't forget the brake when you are stopped and want to go to 1st! Another smart thing about the CC is that if you change your mind while still gliding, just pull the right paddle and the car will go into the appropriate gear smoothly all by itself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes 'King, neutral it is, but don't forget the brake when you are stopped and want to go to 1st! Another smart thing about the CC is that if you change your mind while still gliding, just pull the right paddle and the car will go into the appropriate gear smoothly all by itself.

Ive been doing the neutral for stops.. even just going down hill.. SO SMOOTH :D thanks for that tip.

So your saying if im crusing in neutral and want to step on the gas again, if i hit the right shifter(UP) itll go to the appropriate gear depending on the speed? and smoothly?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. I was asking in terms of clutch and transmission longevity, not shifting smoothness. I happen to like neck-snapping shifts so no problem there. But don't want to be burning out my clutch as quickly as I can, if I can help it.

As far as I can tell the clutch on my newly purchased 2004 Spyder (16k miles) has not been replaces and dealer diagnostics say it has 36% wear, which I hope is pretty good. I don't know if you have to replace it at 50% or 80% or when it flat out breaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My thanks to the more experienced drivers here who have been posting on this issue. Neophyte CC driver with all of about one month of Maserati driving experience thus far. I've been experimenting with the driving/shifting suggestions that have been provided and will add my $0.02! Overall I have to agree that maintaining steady RPM in the 4K area seem to give those smooth and seemless shifts. First gear performance doesn't quite thrill me but from 2-6 the car is a blast. Only recently did I start to move directly to neutral in approaching an anticipated stop - two comments on this: 1) the car does seem to like this and I am finding this a much improved driving style over allowing the car to perform its automatic downshifting (discovered the recovery back into gear from 'glide' by accident!) - 2) One issue for the newbie to be aware of (me included) is that you need to pay attention when pulling both paddles to put the car into neutral. As you learn to do this, be prepared for a possible unexpected upshift OR downshift instead of neutral as there is a tendency at first (at least there was for me) to have the CC not quite see your paddle pull as equal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
First gear performance doesn't quite thrill me but from 2-6 the car is a blast.
The only reason I put in the FD Enhanced DBW module was to fix the terrible lag in 1st gear engagement, and there has been significant improvement in 1st gear engagement after installing the mod. If you don't have FD EDBW, I'd highly recommend putting it in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts