Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2007 Quattroporte. Upon delivery and for the next 3 days, all was well.

Yesterday, I spent some time trying to learn how the dealer-installed entertainment system worked.

When I went to start the car a few hours later, it would not turn over. Seems I ran down the battery.

Unfortunately, the dealer did not include the owners manual on delivery - I should be getting it next week.

I knew where the battery was so I put a charger on it and set it to the jump start mode. Within a 1-2 minutes I could start the car, but now I have 2 problems.

Problem one: I don't have the 4 digit code to turn the radio on.

Problem two: The display between the tach and the speedo says "Check in Progress".. then "System not programmed".... then "Electrical System Failure"... then "Go to Dealer"... then "Airbag System Failure"

The car starts fine and and all seems to work - except the radio and the front reading and dome lights.

I am guessing that the higher voltage of the jump start mode reset the computer.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
This buying a car from a dealer without a manual never ceases to amaze me.
When I was looking for a QP several years ago I told the dealer to get the manual and then I would buy the car. He did. That's a difference when dealing in a buyers market.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome to Maserati ownership! ;)

First of all, you can get the 4 digit code by calling your dealer and giving them your VIN.

What I would do about the rest is wait for you battery to be charged up (let it run awhile) and then use the quick disconnect on the back and leave it disconnected for a good 15 minutes. Then put it back on, start up your car, and let it run for 5-10 minutes to finish all the computer checks. This is the italian reboot.

Sometimes when you jump your car... there are voltage variances that give your QP strange electonics errors when no errors exist (this is from my dealer).

So charge up the battery and give her a reboot, my guess is that most of those will go away. Make sure you call your dealer first to get that 4 digit code as you'll need it every time your car loses battery charge.

good luck

Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on this issue.

I was able to get the radio code from the dealer I bought the car from.

As to the other errors... I was able to remove all of them - except one by following Jim's suggestion.

The error that remains is "Airbag System Failure".

Any ideas on what else can be done?

Joe

·
Registered
445 Posts
That is one i haven't had before Joe - and i've had most of them! :)

Did you buy from Ferrari Maserati of Central Jersey? Give Mark Resende a call, really good guy. You can also goto an AutoZone - most of them have a code reader that can read and reset your codes (so i've heard, have never done that before).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hello. I just ran into the same problem. I left my car parked for 1 month and today tried to start it and the battery was dead. I jumped it with a battery pack and the car started but now I have system not programmed light on and radio does not turn on and my climate control is blinking 99. I need some help on how to resolve this. Anyone's suggestions are helpful. Thank

·
Registered
905 Posts
You will need to go back to the dealer to get the airbag code cleared. Autozone or any parts store CANNOT clear this code. It isn't a simple OBDII (OBD2) code. It is vehicle specific and requires a trip to the dealership.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can confirm that Jason is correct about the airbag error.

However I was able to get rid of the "System not programmed" error by disconnecting the battery, waiting 5-10 minutes and then reconnecting it.

Since having this problem, I purchased a NOCO on board battery charger.

Here is the link
Amazon.com: NOCO GEN1 NOCO Genius Black 12V 1-Bank 10A On-Board Battery Charger: Automotive

I also purchased a Battery Bug to monitor the condition of the battery.

Here is the link
Amazon.com: Argus BB-SBM12 Battery Bug Starting Battery Monitor: Automotive

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The previous posts are correct. You can reset the body module by fully charging the battery, then disconnecting it. Unfortunately the Airbag fault is a "hard" fault and can only be reset by a SD3/Leonardo computer. The Airbag system is intentionally designed to work this way to protect the system from being tampered with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update to this

I had the exact same problem.

I had just bought the car and wanted to see how the battery was. Bannor dont put date stamps on them. I left the stereo and lights on while I extraction cleaned the mats and some of the removable carpet panels. About two hours later the stereo stopped. The lights stayed on. I tried to start and got the familiar tic tic tic and the clocks reset. Classic dead cell activity.

I put the battery on charge with my 25A charger.
Also plugged in the more advanced but less powerful 6A max battery maintainer.

1 hour later I tried starting again and got

1/ System not programmed
2/ Airbag system inactive do not attempt to proceed. Go to main dealer.
3/ System fault (or similar).
4/ Doors microswitch release not working (but manual release working)

The engine did start.
Stopped it and started again to see if that cleared anything
Voltage under charge approx 12.9 VDC

I had to go home, drove back and presumably the Alternator was charging at 50 Amps or so for the 25 minute journey. I stopped and started again on arrival, the faults persisted.

I plugged in the 6A battery manager and left it overnight. 16 Hours later I went down, unplugged the charger and disconnected the battery negative while I put the now dry mats back in.

The interesting thing is that after reading the above posts I expected the faults to clear, except for the Airbag error. My car reset all the faults - non now showing! I was surprised and happy.

08 QP eGT

It must have come with the self healing option

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks all. After sitting 2 weeks the battery was low & car had to be jumped. When restarted I had "Electrical System Failure," "Airbag System Failure," "TPMS Failure," lots of very bad lights on the dash and a message, I think, "Do not proceed. Go to Dealer." I imagined a several thousand dollar computer module bill. After disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes everything came back fine. Really appreciate your calming & effective inputs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Excellent information in this thread! I think a quick recap of this issue belongs in the "Common Issues and Fixes" thread. I'm making note of these little lessons for my Maserati Medical File.

Lessons Learned:
- Always keep these cars on a trickle charger; they hate weak batteries.
- Don't jump start them. Charge the battery instead. Then start when it's fully charged.
- If don't have time to wait for a charge, and you must jump start, you should expect errors.
- Disconnecting the battery and giving it time to "reboot" will help to clear errors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ditto

I recently had the same experience as the above owners. Car has now been parked for 2 weeks. I'll see what happens when I try the above suggestions and report back. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, just had a "System not Programmed" error myself and I tracked mine to a blown fuse F39. The fuse is for AirCon, Alarm and most importantly the Multi Media System (IT Node). With the Multi Media System out of action the vehicle cannot see the programming device and reports the presents "System not Programmed" error.

4,256 Posts
I`m not sure what is wrong with your car, but you don`t need to be posting on like 4 different threads including ones like 4 yrs old for help....Pick what car you have and explain your problem in a new post and not carpet bomb the forum...When I see that, I don`t even respond which is pretty much what I`m doing now..regards..Jason

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, just had a "System not Programmed" error myself and I tracked mine to a blown fuse F39. The fuse is for AirCon, Alarm and most importantly the Multi Media System (IT Node). With the Multi Media System out of action the vehicle cannot see the programming device and reports the presents "System not Programmed" error.
Can you show a picture of the location

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to Maserati ownership! ;)

First of all, you can get the 4 digit code by calling your dealer and giving them your VIN.

What I would do about the rest is wait for you battery to be charged up (let it run awhile) and then use the quick disconnect on the back and leave it disconnected for a good 15 minutes. Then put it back on, start up your car, and let it run for 5-10 minutes to finish all the computer checks. This is the italian reboot.

Sometimes when you jump your car... there are voltage variances that give your QP strange electonics errors when no errors exist (this is from my dealer).

So charge up the battery and give her a reboot, my guess is that most of those will go away. Make sure you call your dealer first to get that 4 digit code as you'll need it every time your car loses battery charge.

good luck

Jim

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
No! Some electronics are always on even with the switch off. The only way to turn those modules off is with the quick disconnect switch on the negative battery terminal. When power is reapplied those modules reboot and will usually clear spurious codes, unless there is a hard problem within a module. Word for the wise: when you reclose the quick disconnect switch, make certain it is pushed all the way down onto the battery terminal and that the entire clamp does not move when you try to rotate it. Otherwise you may have more codes or worse, such as alternator troubles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts