Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to say good-bye to the Michelin's for a bit. I wanted to try their all-season Pilot's but they are currently on backorder. Going with the newest version of the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 UHP All-Season tire. At a pretty decent price too. Since I can pick them up from the Tire Rack Atlanta distribution center, no shipping fee and $20 off the total price when you order online and pick up in person. So each front tire is about $205. I love the original all-weather Continental's on my BMW 535i and X5 xDrive 50i. Incredible tires, especially in the rain!
245/35/20
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2010 GTS MCSportline
22 Posts
I too was after the Michelin Pilot AS, and could not find any in stock. Needed AS tires as with my driving plan for the GT, is year round service. We get some cold weather, and ulta-performance summers can actually 'tear' and crack in the cold under 45 degrees. I went with BFG Comp 2 ASs, had them on a CTS V in the winter here and they were acceptable. Dry warm they were fine ( actually pretty good ) for street use, Auto Xed them once and was a dismal 'push' ( understear ) fest, even with the throttle induced overstear characteristics. Left me understanding the difference between 200 and 300 tire wear ratings ... Give and takes and intended usage trade offs YMMV

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have run those Continental DWS tires on a company car I had. It was a mediocre car, so the tires worked well. No complaints, just ok. I hope they perform as well as your car does.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too was after the Michelin Pilot AS, and could not find any in stock. Needed AS tires as with my driving plan for the GT, is year round service. We get some cold weather, and ulta-performance summers can actually 'tear' and crack in the cold under 45 degrees. I went with BFG Comp 2 ASs, had them on a CTS V in the winter here and they were acceptable. Dry warm they were fine ( actually pretty good ) for street use, Auto Xed them once and was a dismal 'push' ( understear ) fest, even with the throttle induced overstear characteristics. Left me understanding the difference between 200 and 300 tire wear ratings ... Give and takes and intended usage trade offs YMMV
Yeah, the Continental and Michelin all-season tires are more than adequate for my usage. All I do is tool around in the GT or the 535i anyway. Now the X5 is a different story, I sometimes get down and dirty with that bad boy. 😛
430 HP V-8, twin turbo all wheel drive, that thing is downright nasty for a SUV! But yet and still, the Conti's are more than up for the challenge. Just plain ol' good tires...

Reactions: nsaness

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could actually run the Ultra Performance Summer tires here in Atlanta, I have for many years. I just don't drive it when it hits anything in the 30's...that's only a few weeks at the most around here. I actually like the all-season tires more for the rain, which we get a lot of.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Michelin PS2, then PSS, and most currently PS4 are the best rain tires I have driven. Back in 2009, I did a CTS-V driving school in the rain, and came to love/trust the Michelin’s. I’ve been super happy with the PS4’s for all 3 seasons, but below 40 degrees Fahrenheit they are just dangerous (like driving on hockey pucks). I go to snow tires at 40 degrees or less.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have run those Continental DWS tires on a company car I had. It was a mediocre car, so the tires worked well. No complaints, just ok. I hope they perform as well as your car does.
The one i have pictured is the latest and greatest Conti. It has a way stiffer sidewall than the older Conti's as it has a sport tire type sidewall construction.
Michelin PS2, then PSS, and most currently PS4 are the best rain tires I have driven. Back in 2009, I did a CTS-V driving school in the rain, and came to love/trust the Michelin’s. I’ve been super happy with the PS4’s for all 3 seasons, but below 40 degrees Fahrenheit they are just dangerous (like driving on hockey pucks). I go to snow tires at 40 degrees or less.
Agree, the PS4's are pretty good. But like you said, dangerous in the cold. Under 40 degrees I usually just hop in the X5 with the Continental 4x4 Contacts. Great tire for all-wheel drive SUV's.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,552 Posts
Exactly the same here re the tires I have, and continue to use on all my cars . And since in this area we rarely experience temps < 50 degrees , much less 40 or below , and even on those rare occasions when we do, it’s between 2am and 5 am so no spirited driving trips in the MaseratI or the Porsche in that timeline ;), so no need for me to switch from a time-tested sure thing . However , the Continentals sound good so I may put those on the SUV ( Grand Cherokee ) and the MBZ sedan .. there’s no way we drive those two cars in a way that would justify a top of the line performance Michelin, I just have them now because it was just the familiarity and satisfaction with them on the other cars which compelled me to get them …. I probably wasted money doing that, but oh well ..😔

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
224 Posts
I ran those tires on my first Ghibli, I like em. Much better than any Pirelli that's for sure.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly the same here re the tires I have, and continue to use on all my cars . And since in this area we rarely experience temps < 50 degrees , much less 40 or below , and even on those rare occasions when we do, it’s between 2am and 5 am so no spirited driving trips in the MaseratI or the Porsche in that timeline ;), so no need for me to switch from a time-tested sure thing . However , the Continentals sound good so I may put those on the SUV ( Grand Cherokee ) and the MBZ sedan .. there’s no way we drive those two cars in a way that would justify a top of the line performance Michelin, I just have them now because it was just the familiarity and satisfaction with them on the other cars which compelled me to get them …. I probably wasted money doing that, but oh well ..😔
Most people are wasting a bit of cash on the Michelin's like you said, because we definitely aren't using the full capabilities of these tires. For me personally, this is what makes the Conti's a great buy. Still a hugely capable tire for about $100 less than the Michelin's. (each)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes to all of that, I agree with each one of you.
My commute is 800 miles a week, so I have sampled a lot of tires over the years.
For a frame of reference, I am happy to get about 16-20K miles out of the Michelin PS4's on my daily driver. My driving style tends to be "spirited", so I am using my Michelins to the fullest. I'm pretty hard on my Blizzak snow tires too, but they will usually last me one whole season.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had the Michelin AS3's on my GT and as a summer tire they were OK, but I always thought the car didn't handle all that great. I got a new set of Michelin PS4's this summer and WOW!!! now it handles and sticks incredibly. I could hardly believe how much better these tires were. I won't be going back to an all season tire on the GT. If it rains I just drive more carefully. Let us know how you like the Conti's though.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the Michelin AS3's on my GT and as a summer tire they were OK, but I always thought the car didn't handle all that great. I got a new set of Michelin PS4's this summer and WOW!!! now it handles and sticks incredibly. I could hardly believe how much better these tires were. I won't be going back to an all season tire on the GT. If it rains I just drive more carefully. Let us know how you like the Conti's though.
I suspect I will love the Conti's, I have been driving on their product for many years. However, this will be the first time I've tried an All-Season tire though. Def will keep you posted. 👍

·
Registered
641 Posts
At 11K , I replace my rears finally as they are down to 3/32nds. Will let you know how the Falken FK510's work. Top rated UHP tire for years and folks say much better than P Zeros which are MP.
In 295s of course.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At 11K , I replace my rears finally as they are down to 3/32nds. Will let you know how the Falken FK510's work. Top rated UHP tire for years and folks say much better than P Zeros which are MP.
In 295s of course.
I was a huge fan of the FK452's.

Reactions: DSGT

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,552 Posts
Haven’t yet seen a bad review on Falken tires ! Had them on one of my Porsches many years ago, and they were great ; dry or wet handling, longevity ..great price, no complaints !

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
224 Posts
I suspect I will love the Conti's, I have been driving on their product for many years. However, this will be the first time I've tried an All-Season tire though. Def will keep you posted. 👍
I think you'll find the A/S are durable and do what they are designed to do, I've had good luck with these and have been pleased with performance

Reactions: timado404

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you'll find the A/S are durable and do what they are designed to do, I've had good luck with these and have been pleased with performance
I have the 2021 Ghibli Trofeo and took the Pirelli summer tires off. Had a blowout the third day hitting a small pothole at 25 mph. Got mew Michelin A/S pilot 4. Love them already! Also went down from 21” to 20”

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
About to say good-bye to the Michelin's for a bit. I wanted to try their all-season Pilot's but they are currently on backorder. Going with the newest version of the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 UHP All-Season tire. At a pretty decent price too. Since I can pick them up from the Tire Rack Atlanta distribution center, no shipping fee and $20 off the total price when you order online and pick up in person. So each front tire is about $205. I love the original all-weather Continental's on my BMW 535i and X5 xDrive 50i. Incredible tires, especially in the rain!
245/35/20
Had the Conti DWS on my departed QP V Sport GTS. Bought them to put on some 19" wheels that I acquired with the purpose of multi lengthy road trips. Drove them through just about any and all weather, from torrential downpour to light snow. Plowed through standing water on the freeway, no aquaplaning.

Downsides: They flatspotted very quickly. Pull over for a lunch break, and heavy vibration for 5 minutes or so. But they come out of it. The other problem is that the rears only lasted about 8000 miles for me. Fronts will last at least twice that long.

I wanted to buy them again for my new-to-me QP VI. But they are not offered in sizes that fit my wheels. Bummer. Got the Michelin PS all season instead. Haven't made any long road trips yet, though.

Hans.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had the Conti DWS on my departed QP V Sport GTS. Bought them to put on some 19" wheels that I acquired with the purpose of multi lengthy road trips. Drove them through just about any and all weather, from torrential downpour to light snow. Plowed through standing water on the freeway, no aquaplaning.

Downsides: They flatspotted very quickly. Pull over for a lunch break, and heavy vibration for 5 minutes or so. But they come out of it. The other problem is that the rears only lasted about 8000 miles for me. Fronts will last at least twice that long.

I wanted to buy them again for my new-to-me QP VI. But they are not offered in sizes that fit my wheels. Bummer. Got the Michelin PS all season instead. Haven't made any long road trips yet, though.

Hans.
I drive this car in my sleep, flat spots will never get me... 😛

Reactions: ddsski
1 - 20 of 24 Posts