Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I've been running for a year with my Valentine One connected to the dome light power terminals. The problem, of course, is that when the key is turned off, the detector is still on.

Well, Maseratiboy (Ali) motovated me to find the switched power going to the passenger-side vanity mirror. It took just a few minutes... Pics attached. Thanks for the push Ali!

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg254/hansen972/?action=view&current=DSC00951.jpg

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg254/hansen972/?action=view&current=DSC00955.jpg

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg254/hansen972/?action=view&current=DSC00959.jpg

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hehe. Yeah, I did that a few days ago on Friday! I didnt do it the way you did though, I used the supplied tap and hardwire kit that came with the V1...

The biggest hassle was trying to get the freaking screws back in... The Italians REALLY suck at making things line up properly... :-/

And thank YOU Buzz, for convincing me to get the V1... Cant wait to drive with it (Car comes out of the shop of wed or thur)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I intend to do the same thing, could I bother one of you to give more of a step-by-step description that any idiot could follow? I can't really tell what I am looking at in the pics. I guess I need to know how to remove the cover that conceals the wires and the color coding I should be looking for.

I'll be using the Valentine supplied wire tap as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Step 1) Take out the two sun visors, on the passenger visor, you will need to remove the wiring from the visor (male/female).

Step 2) Take out the dome light (you need to stick a tiny screw driver into the fixture at the slot... left side on the coupes... not sure about the GS)

Step 3) Unscrew the two screws in the dome cavity until the headliner is JUST DROOPING (and less and it will be a bit#h to put the stuff back on!)

Step 4) Take the hardwire kit's wire thing (the thing that has the little unit, and the neg and pos wire) and gently break off the plastic shell (just stick a tiny screwdriver in the side, at the slit, and pry. Then move to the other side, etc. until it breaks.

Step 5) Wrap the naked wire thing with electrical tape, or something.... Leaving the "main unit" jack accessible. Make sure you wrap it well (just a precaution).

Step 6) Take a knife, or scissors, etc. and cut a little bit of the black, sticky, tar covered cloth that surrounds the passenger visor wires (the red and black)

Step 7) Splice the red wire with the blue splicer. You will need pliers to get it locked on.

Step 8) Take the black wire, from the passengers side, and then put it through the hole in the dome thing (also on the passenger's side). Make sure it stays there.

Step 9) Plug the provided black phone line into the "main unit" part of the wire thingy. .

Step 10) Pull the wire along the headliner, stick the V1 on the window (right next to the rearview mirror, on the driver's side, and plug the wire into it. Tie up the extra wire (a LOT of it) with the zip tie and stick it in the headliner. There should be just a LITTLE slack outside of the headliner with the wire.

Step 11) Put the negative wire (from step 8) under the screw that you only slightly unscrewed and screw it down. Then screw down the other screw.

Step 12) Turn the car on, turn on the V1, make sure it works properly (ie, turns on, flashes like crazy)

Step 13) If all works, attach the two visors (this will be a serious bit#h as NOTHING seems to line up) and attach the dome light.

The end.

:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Let's say I don't want to mess with the wiring on my GS (warranty or otherwise), how unsightly is using the cigarette lighter power source for the Valentine One? I have an old Passport that is about 5 years old, but I think laser/radar technology has probably changed a bit since then.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey Ali, that sounds very familiar....glad to see you got this working. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help initially.

Understand the concern Robert, but as I recall, the barrel connector is fused, so there is really very little risk to your wiring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great write-up. Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I thought of one more place to tap in for power - the plug for the rearview mirror. This would seem to be the easiest place to tap into for power.

Does anyone know if it is switched or not? I would think that it should be as you would not want your mirror adjusting all day long, drawing power, if it were parked outside.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mounting V1 by Rear View Mirror

I did this as well. Worked out beautifully. Here are my instructions:

Step 1. Go to your Browser and search on "Auto Stereo" <your town>
Step 2. Call the nearest shop and make appointment.
Step 3. Drop off, walk to nearby Starbucks and have a hazelnut latte and do email.
Step 4. Back to shop, admire the nice job, write $75 check and drive away.

Ken

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Ken,

That works fine too :)

However, the job took me literally about 15 minutes, because I had never used a multimeter before and didnt know what I was doing... Takes much less time for others who know what they are doing...

Case in point: Buzz actually gained time by doing it...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the laugh!! I have coffee on the keyboard now.

1. Go to the installer
2. Go have a vente-choco-moco-mojo-juju-capo-latte ( I usually have a beer in the morning)
3. Go back to the installer after your gastro probs (you knew you were lactose intolerant).....
4. Get told "this car scares the CRAP out of me. There's nothing we can do for you".
5. Go home and vow you can do it yourself better.....
"Because I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!”

:cool:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey, whats the deal with the AudioVox Controller on the console? Where did you get that setup? I am looking to upgrade/replace the existing system and any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
5,887 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts