Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering upgrading radio/speakers/Nav in my 90th Anniv Spyder and was curious how many of us out there have upgraded the radio and if so which unit did you choose to upgrade? If you have upgraded, do you have any pictures?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i have the 90th anniversary spyder as well but i have yet to upgrade the headunit. i just bought a set of infinity speakers that are on sale til the end of the month at crutchfield:

Infinity Reference 5022i
Infinity Reference 6022i
it's $99 for the first pair and half price for the second pair, and extra $20 off if u have a referral code for order over $200.

i havent installed them but i m sure it would be an improvement over the stock.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Infinity makes high end equipment. How much do you think someone that owns a Maserati should spend?

Eric

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The Infinity Reference series are some of the best speakers out there (and at a GREAT price). Good choice IMHO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, I have always leaned toward undisputed leaders aka i.e. Focal, Audison, Alpine. I am not saying go buy the grand utopia be's , but I am SURE the lowest polyglass focal (maybe 250) are leaps and bounds better than infinity.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well, ---but I am SURE the lowest polyglass focal (maybe 250) are leaps and bounds better than infinity.
You are very correct with this statement.

The brands you mentioned are true separates. The Infinity units are ok but not high end separates.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Suprising that you woul dbuy a Maserati and put $100 speakers in it.
what is wrong with that?
the stock is 99 cents paper cone.

and as far as i m concerned, i don't listen to my stereo much anyways.
$100 speakers are overkill already for AM / FM news.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is no doubt I would rather listen to the engine than the stock radio. FM/AM News? Intresting. On a serious note, does anyone have a wiring diagram or detailed drawings for stereo replacement?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There is no doubt I would rather listen to the engine than the stock radio. FM/AM News? Intresting. On a serious note, does anyone have a wiring diagram or detailed drawings for stereo replacement?
and what is wrong with listening to AM/FM News in a maserati?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Interesting thing, a door speaker went out in my wife's Nakamichi-powered Lexus a few years ago. I was surprised to find out that the speaker had a paper cone. It was enclosed in a complex molded plastic acoustic chamber rather than just screwed into the door panel.

I replaced the blown speaker with a much "better" one, and expected to want to change the opposing door speaker to match the tone and quality. But they sounded identical playing CD audio. I think in that case, the sound quality was driven more by the enclosure than by the speaker.

In the Maser, I generally listen either to the news or the engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Soooo, anyone have link to installs or detailed info? With the size of Alpine's new PDX amps it sure makes a complete install much more tempting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone have pictures of a replaced head unit

Are there any pictures out there of folks who have replaced the head unit?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I used a hole saw to drill about a dozen 1-1/2" holes in the floor of the passenger footwell, and put soffit vents in there (glued in with gasket material). This way, the engine sound fills the entire cockpit nicely, and very little water or dirt gets in from the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts