Maserati Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
4,008 Posts
Hello gentlemen,

Waving the white flag here....cleaned the MAF and that didn’t do anything. Ferrari tech said he had a 4200 in last week and replaced the MAF and poof...no more problems......

Jason, Lambertius and Formula Dynamics - guys what does everyone think here?

Kindly,
Stephen
Hello gentlemen,

Waving the white flag here....cleaned the MAF and that didn’t do anything. Ferrari tech said he had a 4200 in last week and replaced the MAF and poof...no more problems......

Kindly,
Stephen
I can see that fixing the problem honestly...I would probably start there...They can act up and you won't have any codes....Jason

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hello gentlemen,

Kindly,
Stephen
If you want to start with the MAF before ordering a unit from Europe - which may be difficult given the state of affairs worldwide - I would be willing to provide a test MAF to you for diagnosis (or sell if you are so inclined). I had a MAF problem that cleaning fixed the problem. At the same time I ordered a new one. The car ran fine for about three years before I swapped the new one on. Only reason I replaced was because I had the new one on-hand and got ambitious one day.

Willing to send for the cost of shipping both ways and a deposit to be returned upon receipt of the MAF back. Just an opption - I will take no offense if it does not interest you.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hi Sanmian,

That is very generous thank you. I am just going to buy a MAF. The car works well still so I will probably wait a few weeks.

I have a new toy coming so I will be focused on that. Again, appreciate your willingness to help out.

I hope you and your family are healthy and safe.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Sanmian,

That is very generous thank you. I am just going to buy a MAF. The car works well still so I will probably wait a few weeks.

I have a new toy coming so I will be focused on that. Again, appreciate your willingness to help out.

I hope you and your family are healthy and safe.

Kindly,
Stephen
Exactly the logic I had when I bought my replacement MAF!

Thanks for the warm wishes. I likewise hope that everyone is healthy in your household.

·
Registered
583 Posts
So price breakdown at the dealership

Sensor - $438.46
Labor - $170.00

Wish I had the tools and know how.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
122 Posts

Sensor - $438.46
Labor - $170.00

Kindly,
Stephen
Having the same problems. Just ordered this and the front o2. Will see which fixes it.

You can get the sensor much cheaper (eg 25% the price).

Note you’ll need new hose clamps when you swap it out. Alternatively get a TS25 bit and just swap the actual sensor out. That’s a 10 minute job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts

Sensor - $438.46
Labor - $170.00

Kindly,
Stephen
Having the same problems. Just ordered this and the front o2. Will see which fixes it.

You can get the sensor much cheaper (eg 25% the price).

Note you’ll need new hose clamps when you swap it out. Alternatively get a TS25 bit and just swap the actual sensor out. That’s a 10 minute job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just to take what Tulit is talking about and take it into laymans terms:

• The MAF is a Bosch PN 0280218084 which is about $100USD.
  • The easiest way swap the part is to undo the two Torx Security 25 (TS25) bits (highlighted) and swap out the actual sensor while in place in the engine bay.

- A cheap torx set would cost you ~$25, just make sure it comes with tamper proof/security bits. Below the security bits have a hollow pin. Normal torx included reference.

Total time would be ~10 minutes and is an ultra beginner level task, perfect thing to get started out on.

I will advise:

-Do not touch the hot wire element. They're easily damaged, and will read incorrectly just from the oils on your fingers.
-If you decide to replace the whole unit, stainless steel hose clamps from a good plumbing supply place will cost 1/10th of getting them at an auto store and they're literally the same thing.

Look at it this way, with $125 DIY (including buying the tools) you can replace the MAF six times before you need to see a shop. If you break 6 MAFs trying to install them then I would suggest you give up on DIY forever...

Tulit, if you use your Launch to data log O2 and the MAF readout during the issue, I'll replicate it on mine and post up the log so you can see the difference. This would help in the future as well, as people will be able have to a point of reference for a good and a bad MAF/O2.

·
Registered
583 Posts
lambertius - this is awesome thank you. I appreciate the breakdown and the time you took to list out the explanation.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
208 Posts
I personally would only want an OE Bosch one...These knock off air mass sensors fail at a pretty good rate....Jason
I would just treat that as a general rule. Same with O2 sensors. It shouldn't make a difference, but I know heaps of people whose cars just run like dogs for no obvious reason when switching brands for sensors. A friend of mine used to work as a Merc mechanic and whenever DIYers brought in cars the first thing they looked for was a non-OEM sensor.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts