Maserati Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 02 Spyder and replaced the pump. Very lucky and did not require a bleed.
I inspect and change the relay religiously. Just out of curiosity though, does anyone have the lowdown on relay changes? I keep spares on hand part number 155437. On some parts breakdown it shows a superceded number of 194909 which is a 50amp relay and it looks like a socket difference. If you contact both Ferarri North America and Maserati North America they say no swap, the supercede is incorrect and you need the 155437 30amp. If it is a socket change and going to the 50amp is good, has anyone done this? I drive the 02 daily and murderously hard. Drive it, break it, fix it, drive it again. I have the FD ECU and custom made straights on the back. Ordered the FD fly by wire.

I have read a lot about pump changes, and two words to DIYs. BE CAREFUL! If it needs bleeding you are in for some work. I have and use an SD5, have a lift and can drop the back, but luckily a bleed wasn't necessary....this time. I am in boondocks Wisconsin and
miles away from service and dealers. The superceed to 50amp looked nice, but did not seem to hold true in the 02 spyder case.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I posted a while back ... Be very careful...

To make a long story short, I thought I would DIY replace the F1 Pump relay. I ordered the part from Maserati and was about to put it in just because everyone thinks it will make your pump last longer... I could not find the fuse under the trunk where it should have been.

Before I decided to start messing around with it, I called a serice guy at FM/PA. Spoke to a very friendly and very sharp Maserati tech. He told me not to touch anything. He also advised me to listen to him instead of the message boards..

In summary, a dead F1 pump is not caused by a relay failure. It is caused by a software glitch in the ECU that makes the relay constantly stay on, burning out, thus frying the pump.

In early 02 and 03 coupes the relay was smaller. Maserati not only changed the relay size to a larger one, it also put out several software upgrades that work with certain relays and it moved the location of the relay depending on the production date of your car.

He told me this problem has been corrected in late model 04s and newer coupes. He told me NEVER to replace the relay as it will have NO benefit to extending the life of your pump. There are several different fuses and software combinations. AT best I could do no harm to my car, at worst I could send out a spike that would damage my ECU.

The only time they replace a relay is when they replace a pump on an older coupe.

Just an FYI from someone who has been working on Ferrari / Maserati for more than 10 years...

Good Luck. CM

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
703 Posts
FWIW, we just replaced the original F1 pump and relay on my '02 - 27k miles. The relay was fine but FM changed it with the pump. I took the pump apart to see what went wrong - the armature - I'm pretty sure it's called an armature - was worn at 2 points evidencing failed bearings. Here's some pics of it.

Now, what do I do with it other than keep it on my work desk and look at it !

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.