Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Pirelli P Zero All-Season tires but I'm thinking about changing to a summer tire (probably the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) as I live in a climate allows for use of summer tires year-round. I know in general the tread life for summer tiers should be less than with the all-season tire, but I haven't been impressed with tread life on the Pirelli tires so don't know that I would actually be losing much. Appreciate any input anyone might have on their experiences with summer vs all-season.

·
Registered
659 Posts
at first read, i almost thought you said you were impressed with pirelli tread life.... there were about to be words.

on the topic of summer vs all season, it is long and drawn out. if you drive it all weather, besides being in a climate that allows summer tires all year, rain and summer tires don't do the best either.
tread life is definitely not a staple of summer tires, as they are softer compound for better grip and thus quicker wear.
this is an evaluation you would need to make based on your driving style. if you take turns like lewis hamilton and accelerate like you're part of the Force drag empire, maybe summers are best. however, performance all seasons have come a long way, and i would make the argument that i got better use out of my pilot sport a/s3+ set than i did out of my pilot super sports. they were just about as grippy in the rain and the cooler, dewy mornings as they are in the dry. the super sports were less than ideal on cooler mornings and definitely gave up a bit when it rained. tires are always trade offs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm actually getting ready to go the other direction. Currently have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. They stick like glue in summer and corner brilliantly. I would definitely recommend them. However, I've been through two winters with them now and I'm terrified it's a matter of time before I start sliding around a corner in light snow - even with the all-wheel drive. As far as mileage, it is what it is. I've got 24,000 miles on mine and they are due. You're not going to get much more than 25k, even if you're easy on them. Much less if you like to have fun.
I'm switching to the Michelin Sport All-Season 3S+. Couldn't find the right size in the newer 4-series. Based on the comment above, I'm looking forward to the A/S 3+.
If you're not worried about winter, and you're okay with the cost every 25k, I highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts