Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been a silent reader of this forum for some time, and now I want to start my search for a Maserati. I am european, and I have found a manual Coupe 02 which has had only one owner, and he has all the receipts for the maintenance. The price is good.

I remember having read here that the 02 were not very good, because they had some problems (02 was the first year), and the recommendation from many people was to consider only 04 (or later).

My question is: are these "problems" easy to list, such that a PPI could consider all of them? Or it is simply that the cars were badly built, and problems occur randomly?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think this myth mainly stems from the F-1 transmission as Maserati kept changing the programming on them in '03 and then in '04 again (you can read plenty on this topic here so I will not elaborate). This is a non-issue on your manual transmission anyway. At this point I would think anything that could have gone wrong with a 2002 would have gone wrong so if you feel good about the maintenance records being complete you should be OK in my humble opinion. If all the maintenance was done at a dealer you may want to have the current owner get the records released directly from the dealer (only he/she can get these released) to make sure there are no major issues out there that have been a recurring problem. Good luck and welcome to our little community!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think this myth mainly stems from the F-1 transmission as Maserati kept changing the programming
I ran an 02 CC coupe for 4 years, 30 K miles, and very happy! (2004-2008, had done 49K miles when I traded it)
Yes the 02 single tang clutch and s/w were not especially durable but should have long-since been replaced in any car you are buying now. For a GT not an issue!

Remember the rear suspension bushes need replaced after every 4/5 years to keep the handling tight (not cheap!)

·
Registered
177 Posts
i have been

running an 02 g coupe for 2 years
i have had no problems whatsoever
just take care of her- in my experience with maintenance, this is an excellent platform and superior to my carrera's from years past in reliability (not to mention fun)

·
5,887 Posts
I remember having read here that the 02 were not very good, because they had some problems (02 was the first year), and the recommendation from many people was to consider only 04 (or later)
I don't think there were any significant problems with any particular year. With that said, Maserati isn't different than any other car manufacturer. First year of any redesigned model is generally viewed as the most problematic. Of course, "problematic" could mean many different things.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have owned an '02 Cambriocorsa since I took delivery new 12/02. It has been a wonderful automobile and still draws stares and admiration. I have 44,000 miles on it and within the last 12 months I have done pretty much all of the Formula Dynamics except for the sway bars and Larini exhaust...I instead put a full "tuning" as much I think it can and the handling is much improved. I have had in on the track and I can say the handling, horsepower, transmission and torque improvement are very, very noticeable. I would not hesitate owning the '02 if the car has been meticulously cared for as mine has and service records are intact. It has it's oddities and personality characteristics but then every car has. I have thought about trading mine for a new Maserati but I ask myself why? I have thoroughly enjoyed the car and experience.

·
Registered
177 Posts
agreed 100% with j
this is a marvelous vehicle with its own unique personality
i have been tempted to trade towards other vehicles with more "toys" like a new m6 but in the end, i really do love this car- a first for me who has gone through at least 20 high performance vehicles most of which never lasted past 1 year of ownership.
my next step will be the full palette of FD mods.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have had my '02 Coupe GT (6 spd manual) for 5 years now. No problems at all. I have only 23,000 miles. I'm thinking about replacing the tires in a few months and maybe replacing the brakes when I flush the fluids (again).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am still thinking about this car (a manual Coupe 02). They told me they had sold it to somebody else, but it seems the sell did not take place.

What amazes me is the difference in appearance between a stock Coupe 02 and some Gransport-modded Coupes I have seen in this forum. Apparently, a front bumper (with grill), rear bumper and side skirts, in addition to the Gransport wheels, make wonders on the appearance of the Coupe, transforming it into a completely different, gorgeous Gransport.

The problem to distinguish what makes a Coupe look so good is that usually those Gransport-modded Coupes have also wheel spacers, lowering springs and have been repainted recently. So I cannot say conclusively if what makes the Coupes so beautiful are the bumpers + side skirts, or the wheel spacers + springs, or something else.

What do you think is more important in transforming the appearance of a Coupe?

- Wheels (this one for sure)
- The set: front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts
- The set: wheel spacers, lowering springs

How much could each of these things cost?

·
5,887 Posts
From a bodywork point of view, 2005+ Coupes had new front and back bumpers. Gransports received similar, albeit different, front and rear bumpers along with side skirts. Gransports also come a little lower from the factory compared to the Coupe's ground clearance.

It is up to you to decide what you like. I know sport springs and lowering really changed the look of my Coupe. I am really surprised at the difference.

Here are some estimates on upgrades to a 2002 Coupe (although if you search hard enough you may get better deals)...

Wheels - you can probably buy Gransport wheels used for $2,000 or so. I think the best option is to go with aftermarket rims. For $3,000, you can have a high quality set of aftermarket rims in the size, color, and style of your choice. You could also get a custom offset which mean you won't have to buy wheel spacers to get the same look.

Bumpers and side skirts - I would guess that used bumpers and skirts would run $2,400 and paint would run $2,000. So, for $4,500 you could probably get to the Gransport bodywork look.

Wheel spacers and springs - Spacers should run $850, springs are around $1,300, and install/alignment should be around $1,000. So, figure $3,150 in total.
I think the best buy right now would be a 2005 Coupe and do nothing other than lower it. That way, you get the updated bumpers and could just add side skirts if you really wanted them. Once lowered, you could decide if you want to go with more modifications.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
455 Posts
From a design standpoint...

I found the Vintage Package, which adds some chrome details to the body & ball polished rims, really sets the car off. I would look for a coupe with this option.

I added the chrome trident emblems to the rear body panel behind the side windows. This was standard starting in 2005.

On certain colors, the vintage package starting in 2005 came with a blue speedometer standard. Prior to that is was available as part of a build option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From a bodywork point of view, 2005+ Coupes had new front and back bumpers. Gransports received similar, albeit different, front and rear bumpers along with side skirts. Gransports also come a little lower from the factory compared to the Coupe's ground clearance.

It is up to you to decide what you like. I know sport springs and lowering really changed the look of my Coupe. I am really surprised at the difference.

Here are some estimates on upgrades to a 2002 Coupe (although if you search hard enough you may get better deals)...

I think the best buy right now would be a 2005 Coupe and do nothing other than lower it. That way, you get the updated bumpers and could just add side skirts if you really wanted them. Once lowered, you could decide if you want to go with more modifications.
Thank you for all the comments from everybody.

When you say "lower it", you mean only adding the FD springs, or you did something else to lower the car?

·
5,887 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts