Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my new QP SPORT GT engine made in the ferrari factory. Is it a ferrari enginge modified for a sedan?

I'm not a gearhead pardon the dunb ?

I ask because the salesman said it was a ferrari engine?

Was he full of it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here is some information I found concerning the 2003 Coupés - I assume the same still applies for the 2006 QP engines. Others may know of any changes. Leo

"The 2003 Coupe Cambiocorsa features a 4.2L V8 codesigned by Ferrari and Maserati and hand built in Ferrari's Maranello factory. The engines are then delivered to Maserati's ultra-modern Viale Ciro Menotti complex to the south of Modena, Italy. Here it is mated to Maserati's state of the art Cambiocorsa gearbox. Each car is hand assembled and goes through a complete hands-on inspection prior to delivery. It is this process and attention to detail that sets the new Maseratis apart from most other modern sports cars."

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The engine is Ferrari all the way. The parent company (Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino (Italian Car Factory of Turin) aka FIAT) owns both Ferrari and Maserati. Although the engine is referred to as a Ferrari/Maserati engine, there is a 4.3 liter version of the same engine in the Ferrari F430. The transmission is Maserati's design but since they are essentially the same company from a technology standpoint, there are many common design themes to Ferrari's F1.

You will probably run into some rude SOB that refers to the Maser as a "poor mans Ferrari". In fact, people lucky enough to own one of these cars actually have a Ferrari hybrid and one hell of a great exotic! (where does the "poor man" come in the picture here????)

Hang on to the current genertion car!!!! The next gen will not be aligned with Ferrari directly. And since the deal with GM fell through (GM paid FIAT $2 billion NOT to buy them) there is a possibility Ford may be in the picture (Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar????) YIKES!

You bought at the right time. ENJOY your Masserarri ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the clarification.

I appreciate the responses.

I would call it a "family mans ferrari" as I don't know many poor people who specd 110 + on a car LOL

·
Registered
695 Posts
From the "Road & Track" guide to the "Masserati Quattroporte - The Exclusive italian Sports-Luxury Sedan (2004):

Quattroporte bodies are painted at Ferrari's shop in Maranello [picture] and given a quality inspection [picture] before being shipped to Maserati. Maser V-8 engines are assembled [picture] alongside Ferrari V-8's and V-12's
Not far away, in the engine assembly building, three lines of technicians build Maserati V-8s and Ferrari V-8s and V-12s. Though the powerplants share few parts, their basics, such as as blocks and heads, are precisely machined on the same automatic tools in the new Mechanical Workshop, which is as clean as a modern race garage.
While the trio of engines share the same suppliers, such as Mahle pistons, each is unique. And each has its own assembly line. Although the Ferrari engines stay at Maranello, the Maserati powerplants are shipped to Viale Ciro Menotti to be installed in Quattroportes, Coupes, and Spyders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts