Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a 2002 Coupe; new to me! Both wipers need changing and I found a 22" ANCO that fit perfectly to the Dr side using the larger 'Jeep' clip included. But I cannot budge the pass side at all to replace that one! The arm does not go skyward, even when stopped in the middle and I see no release clips to remove what looks to be an OEM wiper (no blade left at all! But then the car did come from dry Texas - unlike NJ) Forcing with pliers might destroy mucho

And suggestions removing this stubborn one please?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
They can be a beeyatch to remove if they've been in there for awhile - I had to literally break the ones that came with my car... use a flathead screwdriver & start prying at that plastic clip that holds the rest of the blade assembly... do it from the inside - don't try to wedge the screwdriver in between the arm & the anchor clip. Once you get the blade assembly loose, the clip should slide out much easier. The arm is a standard "U" at the end, so just be careful not bend that. And yeah, it's better with the arm stopped in the uppermost portion of travel. A little harder to reach, but at least you can get it pulled up & away from the windshield that way.

If you want to avoid trying the manhandling/breaking bit, you can soak it down with WD-40 & let it sit for awhile to allow it penetrate the nooks & crannies & see if that helps to get it to release. Just make sure you clean all of it off before installing the new one, of course.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I read your issue about the wiper.You already have one response.I would start with the
WD40 lubricant.My experience has been you may have to soak it more than once,then try to budge it and soak it again.If the arm gets damaged it could become a bigger issue.Let me know

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

I'll give the WD40 a shot during this week - sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello all, Thanks for your advice! The clip was still recalcitrant after the DW40 offense, so today I tried what the French call 'les grands moyens'. It worked: using a tiny hacksaw, I cut through the flat side of the blade support and then bent it back to expose the plastic tongue which fits inside the 'J'. Then I nipped the edges of the flange which covers the space between the tongue and 'J' with small cutting pliers. This tongue is hollow, so a medium screw driver could lever the old part out. Do brace the arm with something while holding it to saw, I used a styrofoam block and covered the windshield with a towel to keep the detritus from falling into the engine compartment.Again, the 22" (21 1/2 true measure) Anco with the Jeep clip fit well. Appreciate your interest! Simpol

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I used PB Blaster and not only did the blades slide off, the crap got on my windshield and stayed for 4 months... Wierd stuff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts