Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When accelerating hard from a dead stop, there's a strong smell coming from somewhere, is it possible that my new clutch is slipping?

Also, in the morning the car doesn't take off smoothly, there's a kind of bumpy feeling coming from the clutch. Is it due to cold weather? It doesn't happen when the car is warm.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Give me a little better description of the smell... Burning Plastic smell? Hot warm iron smell? Burning rubber smell?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
If it's fuel smell, it's due to the upgraded exhaust, probably some residue of fuel from the previous outing being burned off.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's hard to describe the smell. It's not fuel, plastic or rubber. More like a brake pad kinda smell. No, my parking brake is not on! :)

How should a burned clutch disc smell like?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Niteroi - I've recently smelled something as well and was worried about clutch. I don't notice mine while driving but, after I've pulled into the garage. Even my wife wondered about the smell. It's very unique, doesn't smell like the burning brake pads that you have at track day but, definitely is noticeable. And it almost has burnt candy smell to it (if that makes sense).

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's hard to describe the smell. It's not fuel, plastic or rubber. More like a brake pad kinda smell. No, my parking brake is not on! :)

How should a burned clutch disc smell like?
Burned clutch is a pretty distinctive smell, one that I can usually recognize based on my early years of driving around San Francisco. It's somewhat similar to brake smell, but not very. Definitely pungent, some burning rubber element, some sweetness to it.

I would expect to see signs of slippage if it's really the clutch stinkin' up the joint. I.e., I think you can slip the clutch without much smell, but you can't have the smell without the slip.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since my clutch is new (replaced about 1k miles ago) what would cause the slipping? Kiss point need adjustment? Throwout bearing, since it was not replaced?

What about the bumpy take off when the car is cold?

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Burned clutch is a pretty distinctive smell, one that I can usually recognize based on my early years of driving around San Francisco. It's somewhat similar to brake smell, but not very. Definitely pungent, some burning rubber element, some sweetness to it.

I would expect to see signs of slippage if it's really the clutch stinkin' up the joint. I.e., I think you can slip the clutch without much smell, but you can't have the smell without the slip.
I agree. Very good description of the clutch smell although instead of sweetness I'd say it smells a little bit sour to me. No Maser yet (it's coming in 3-4 days :D) but when I do hard launches in my 355F1 it does leave a very distinctive odor of burnt clutch.

My bet is to get your clutch adjusted with a SD3.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
It's difficult to determine without witnessing the smell however... My bet would be on either the clutch or catalytic converters.

In any case I believe it's good reason to take it back to where you had the clutch work done and have them take a look at it.

Can you tell if the bumpy start is a result of the transmission converting the engine power to the wheels or is it from a rough running engine?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would the cats smell only in hard acceleration?

Regarding the rough take off, it's definitely transmission related, not engine. When I press the pedal it feels like the clutch slipping, but bumpy, not a smooth slip. It engages and then slips and engages again. But again, only in the morning and it started a few weeks ago, when the weather got colder. May be coincidence though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does it smell like sulfur?

If so it could be excess build up in the cats. I recall reading somewhere that Maseratis can easily get gunk built up in the cats and rear exhaust and will produce a noticable smell when you really step on the gas.

Off topic- the Japanese have developed a system to transmit smells via computers, cell phones and television ("smell-a-vision") which I find unbelievable. Imagine in a few years being able to capture that smell and post it to this forum or send to somebody. Ahh, how I can't wait for the future, things will be so much easier...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, when I had all those problems with my clutch slipping in the past there was no smell.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Here's an easy test: Let the car warm up 5-10 minutes (to nearly full temp), then let us know if the smell still occurs. I suspect it is clutch material, but I only get that burning clutch scent (and the shudder) if I'm in a hurry and don't let it warm up. Otherwise, no issues. Also, I have an inclined driveway and have to go up it in reverse, which makes it more sensitive to this effect.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Your clutch release should not be bumpy, I'd have that looked at.

If the car doesn't warm up well before making hard starts, you will most likely slip the clutch. It takes a bit of warmup. I've noticed that's its very easy to smoke the clutch if the car is cold and you start pushing it hard.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There could be two problems; first the smell, it could be a slight anti freeze leak that is burning on a manifold that is slight enough that it isn't leaving any floor residual but burning on a manifold or pipe. The second issue could be a weak coil that on cold start could cause the car to stumble and once warmed up, may have enough life left that it that it would run well enough not to be that noticed. Just a thought or two.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There could be two problems; first the smell, it could be a slight anti freeze leak that is burning on a manifold that is slight enough that it isn't leaving any floor residual but burning on a manifold or pipe. The second issue could be a weak coil that on cold start could cause the car to stumble and once warmed up, may have enough life left that it that it would run well enough not to be that noticed. Just a thought or two.

But why would the anti-freeze leak only during hard take offs?

What coil are you talking about? Sorry, I don't know much about engines.:D

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a similar issue on my QP, but not on take off, its always when shifting at full throtle near red line, it must be clutch, but i find that ironic, as when shifting like this, it should be engadging without slip right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.