Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Maserati Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I'm new here. I have this beautiful 2005 Maserati Coupe.

My 2005 Maserati CC has a strong gas smell inside the car since I first brought it last year. The smell won't go away and is usually very bad after re-fueling. Week ago, my coupe stalls while I was exiting a highway ramp. The engine won't start again, I can hear the starter working but no ignition at all. After 10+ tries I was able to re-start the engine.

The cooling fan is operating at max speed.
Oil pressure, voltage, coolant, and fuel levels are all normal
No check engine lights or anything on the dash
The RPM revs up to 3K when starting

Since my insurance company covers roadside towing, I was able to tow my car to my local Ferrari shop for inspection.

However, after one week they have no idea what went wrong. I had to take my coupe back in my possession.

The local Ferrari shop is also packed with supercars and multiple Maserati Coupe and GranSport.

The check engine light was not activated but I was able to pull a pending OBD code from the computer: Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature). After clearing the code, the cooling fan stopped operating at max speed and everything is back to normal.

After getting the car back from the shop, I have replaced all of the spark plugs.

Tomorrow, I will have the fuel pump replaced. I will keep you all posted!
Thank you for your time!
Suggestions are highly appreciated!

·
Registered
2005 Maserati Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
155413436_4035099979868612_1556569446687784091_n.jpg

I have been taking my Maserati coupe to different car shows around town, even most Ferrari owners have no knowledge on the coupe at all.

·
Registered
2005 Maserati Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
168355129_4136478243064118_4932818397431661879_n.jpg

Last week, this Ferrari 250 owner decided to park next to me at my local cars and coffee event. They have attracted so many attentions!

·
Premium Member
2004 Maserati Spyder Cambiocorsa
25 Posts
Carl: I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough to try to answer you questions but I truly enjoyed the series of pictures you posted. (y) You haven't completed your profile so I can't tell where you're from. I see mountains in the background and no palm trees so I'm guessing you're not in Florida.

Kendal

·
Registered
2005 Maserati Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carl: I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough to try to answer you questions but I truly enjoyed the series of pictures you posted. (y) You haven't completed your profile so I can't tell where you're from. I see mountains in the background and no palm trees so I'm guessing you're not in Florida.

Kendal
Hey Kendal,
Thank you for your message!
I just signed up yesterday. I'm located in San Francisco South Bay, in Silicon Valley.
is that your blue spyder?

·
Registered
2005 Maserati Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fuel Pump housing crack on those I think there’s a thread about it
They discovered the fuel leak from the pump. However, they insist that there are two fuel pumps which I believe based on the diagram, there is only one main pump?

5,270 Posts
That looks like two pumps...You have the one on the right and the one on the left...Your parts diagram shows it in the center which is not located...Jason

·
Registered
35 Posts
The fuel leak is usually in the top. Common problem. I fixed mine with super strength marine JB weld. Easy fix. Been holding up for years.

·
Registered
2005 Maserati Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fuel leak is usually in the top. Common problem. I fixed mine with super strength marine JB weld. Easy fix. Been holding up for years.

They are telling me that both driver and passenger side pumps are leaking along with "CHARCOAL CANISTER NIPPLES ARE BROKEN"

5,270 Posts
This is common problem with Maserati and Ferrari cars...The plastic on the Bosch fuel pumps crack and start leaking fuel...Jason

·
Registered
489 Posts
My spyder had a broken nipple on the roll over valve which I fixed with JB Weld. But you can't expect a dealer or even indie to make such repairs. Liability issues.

5,270 Posts
Most cars shops are not gonna fix something with JB weld....Next you know you are getting a bad Google review with a pic of the stuff you glued together..That is how it goes these days..Jason

Reactions: Carl_Li_USA

·
Registered
2005 Maserati Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, they have determined the problem!
I will be replacing both L and R fuel pumps this week. They also discovered gasoline accumulated under the tank which is a fire hazard.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you still have the fuel smell after the pumps are fixed, check the fuel hose from the fuel trap to the tank. I had a problem in mine and use to have a gas smell after refueling only.

·
Registered
2005 Maserati Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you still have the fuel smell after the pumps are fixed, check the fuel hose from the fuel trap to the tank. I had a problem in mine and use to have a gas smell after refueling only.
So today both driver and passenger side fuel pumps have been replaced.
TECH REPORT: INSTALLED NEW DRIVER SIDE FUEL PUMP, ENSURED PROPER SEAL AND FITMENT, NO LEAKS AT THIS TIME

However, they also pointed out that the CHARCOAL CANISTER should be replaced.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts