Maserati Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my -06 GS has been idling in neutral for a while - like 10+ minutes - I get a pretty unpleasant noise - sounds almost like as if something was grinding - same sound as a roller or ball bearing going bad.
It's coming from the underside of the car and to me it sounds as if its coming from the rear. Can not locate it precisely as I don't have access to a lift.

When I put the car in gear the noise disappears and it doesn't come back when I put it back in neutral again. At least not for another 10-15 minutes...

Have not had any problems with the vehicle so far - no warning lights - and when I drove it last (too long ago to be funny) everything was dandy.

Any suggestions?

TIA
/F.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ive seen this many times.. it is your input shaft spinning inside your bell housing.... so when you select first gear, the T/O bearing pushes on the pressure plate, releasing the disks off the flywheel. when you select neutral.. it still holds the disks off the flywheel untill 10-15 min go by. then the T/O bearing disengages off the pressure plate.. allowing the disks to contact the flywheel, allowing the input shaft to spin.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ive seen this many times.. it is your input shaft spinning inside your bell housing.... so when you select first gear, the T/O bearing pushes on the pressure plate, releasing the disks off the flywheel. when you select neutral.. it still holds the disks off the flywheel untill 10-15 min go by. then the T/O bearing disengages off the pressure plate.. allowing the disks to contact the flywheel, allowing the input shaft to spin.
Wow you are amazing you know so much about these cars. You are my HERO.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Is this something warranty will cover, considering there is any left?

·
Registered
32 Posts
When my -06 GS has been idling in neutral for a while - like 10+ minutes - I get a pretty unpleasant noise - sounds almost like as if something was grinding - same sound as a roller or ball bearing going bad.
It's coming from the underside of the car and to me it sounds as if its coming from the rear. Can not locate it precisely as I don't have access to a lift.

When I put the car in gear the noise disappears and it doesn't come back when I put it back in neutral again. At least not for another 10-15 minutes...

Have not had any problems with the vehicle so far - no warning lights - and when I drove it last (too long ago to be funny) everything was dandy.

Any suggestions?

TIA
/F.
Hi Guys, I have the same noise and it goes away once transmission is engaged. Folke, did you find a solution? Question for ITARESAMTECH, do you think I should be concerned over this? Thank you for your help. By the way I have a 2005 GS with 9500miles.
I just had my clutch replaced along with t/o bearing and pilot bearing at the dealership, so I am wondering if they left something out loose?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hra,
Haven't done anything about it yet. Car is in the garage and it will have to stay there for another while. Still have snow here :mad:

When weather get's better I'll take it to the dealer, don't think there is anything else to do.

L8r
/F.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey guys sorry i didnt respond soon enough, i would call up your dealership and see if they can do something for you, or at least they will take note of your concern. this is not a mechanical issue its more of software in the T.C.U.(Transmission Control Unit).i can assure you there is NO damage being caused to your clutch or gearbox.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hra,
Haven't done anything about it yet. Car is in the garage and it will have to stay there for another while. Still have snow here :mad:

When weather get's better I'll take it to the dealer, don't think there is anything else to do.

L8r
/F.
Great, I am not gonna worry about it, good luck with the weather. I lived in England for 19 years, it used to snow every now and then and I know how that feels :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
hey guys sorry i didnt respond soon enough, i would call up your dealership and see if they can do something for you, or at least they will take note of your concern. this is not a mechanical issue its more of software in the T.C.U.(Transmission Control Unit).i can assure you there is NO damage being caused to your clutch or gearbox.
Thank you ITARESAMTECH, Since I had my clutch serviced not long ago, and you are saying its not mechanical I am not gonna worry about it. And you know it hardly happens because I don't usually leave the car to warm up more than 10 mins, and at traffic light when I sit in Neutral for only 1 minute, I am just gonna enjoy the car. I really appriciate your response.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the same problem. Letting the car sit on idle for >10 minutes, it sure sound like grinding metal. Sounds pretty bad. Is this normal for all maserati or something that should be fixed? Could someone check this with their own car?

ITARESAMTECH,

If it is a TCU software issue, what could be done and could it be covered under warranty?

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi
I have the same problem with my car 06 GS, when I warm up the car for ten minute a disgusting sound come from the bottom around the middle of the car. It sound like something is loose and when i engage the first gear the sound stop and the car return to normal. I will call the dealer Wide World of Cars of Spring Valley NY and see if it is a defect and if is cover under the
warranty.
Thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
in my opinion i think they designed the software to avoid premature wear on the T/O bearing. contact your dealer and let them know your concern..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
itaresamtech,
Not sure if if i really understand how the CC works compared to a normal manual gearbox. With a normal manual gearbox, you can put the gearbox in neutral, i.e. no gear is selected, and then you release the clutch.

This makes the clutch rest on the flywheel and there is no stress on the throwout bearing. Is this not possible with the CC, meaning the CC always has to be in one or another gear...

Would really appreciate a clarification

TIA
/F.

·
Registered
22 Posts
with the design of the Valeo clutch and pressure plate set up. the T/O bearing applies pressure to the pressure plate.. this will release the disks from the flywheel, alowing you to select a gear. so with the software, what its doing is holding pressure on the Pressure plate alowing you to select a gear or sit at a stop light in 1st Then when you hit the gas, the T/O bearing is released and allowing the disks to grab the flywheel. so getting back to why the noise is heard after 10 minutes.. what the Gearbox software is doing is holding pressure on the pressure plate for a 10-15 min time period. after it senses no wheel speed during that period it releases the T/O bearing and engaging the clutch.. but since the vehicle is in Neutral, the vehicle will not move. it will just spin the Inputshaft. but when you select first gear and the noise goes away, what its doing is applying pressure on the Plate so first gear can be selected without the vehicle moving.. hope that helps.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I suppose the question I have is - what is different on a manual box which means sitting in neutral does not create this noise? Or is it to do with wear or fit of the moving parts (So can you experience the same noise if sitting in neutral in a manual car?)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
itaresamtech,
Thanks a lot - I get it now.

Barbuckle,
The CC gearbox is basically identical to a normal manual gearbox. The difference is the clutch, and as itaresamtech stated, the clutch is released after 10-15 minutes and thats when the sound appears.
As that process is identical to releasing the clutch pedal on a manual vehicle I would venture to say that you could have the same noise - difference is that it would start when you release the clutch pedal and not when the TCM decides that it's time to release the clutch.

HTH
/F.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.