Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys.

I had noticed a few months ago that my power steering fluid was low, and I finally got a chance to go to the dealership and get it topped off...

The head technician there was really cool, and he and I got to talking about the cars... Here are his words... a lot of you will find them VERY familiar!

He explained to me that even though people hear that they should "drive the car hard", a lot of them really don't, and that is when they start getting problems. He said that the cars love to be revved high, and that we should do that any chance we get, because it will keep the engines working forever.

He said that if driven hard, the Maserati (all of them) can be driven for about 200,000 miles.

He also said that in terms of clutch wear, you should be VERY firm on the gas from stops... do not feather it or just press a LITTLE gas: it is just as bad as disengaging/engaging the clutch over and over.

In his words, the cars got a bad rep, and also got hit with depreciation, because people "drove them like cadillacs, not ferraris"

·
Registered
793 Posts
---In his words, the cars got a bad rep, and also got hit with depreciation, because people "drove them like cadillacs, not ferraris"
You really believe this and it came from the "head" technician?

Get serious. What does one's driving habits have to do with "depreciation"?

This technician should have his "head" examined!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, when half the people who bought the car sell it a year afterwards because the clutch burned up on them, the f1 pump failed, they had to get a crapload of warranty done, etc. there would have been massive depreciation... So I agree with him.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I cannot understand the point were you tear engines apart for treating them softly.

I guess this guy is only thinking on his maintenance work.. he's full of shit.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Wait... Based on a lot of feedback from this forum, I believe there's something to it.

Driving the car hard minimizes clutch wear (CC) and daily use (vs. sitting in a garage) extends the life of the rubber bits (dampers, boots, etc.).

Revving the engine and driving like a maniac may extend the life of the driver as well ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
and daily use (vs. sitting in a garage) extends the life of the rubber bits (dampers, boots, etc.).
I absolutely agree with daily use, but i disagree that soft handling is bad for the clutch, it could be tough that a slightly higher rpm than stationarry is better for the clutch, but that will not minimize the life time of the car IMHO. Gentle treatment of an engine is always better for all parts of the engine. That mechanic stated here that driving hard (agressivly and rush treatment on the engine) is better for engine life, i completely disagree.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Buying Bread From a Man in Brussells!

I absolutely agree with daily use, but i disagree that soft handling is bad for the clutch, it could be tough that a slightly higher rpm than stationarry is better for the clutch, but that will not minimize the life time of the car IMHO. Gentle treatment of an engine is always better for all parts of the engine. That mechanic stated here that driving hard (agressivly and rush treatment on the engine) is better for engine life, i completely disagree.
Knock wood... All I can tell you is I have driven my GS for 20K miles in the past two years. I drive it like I stole it and haven't had any engine problems, nor have I burnt through the clutch yet! On the other hand, I'm on my fourth set of tires. These Masers are bullet proof and great cars if driven properly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Knock wood... All I can tell you is I have driven my GS for 20K miles in the past two years. I drive it like I stole it and haven't had any engine problems, nor have I burnt through the clutch yet! On the other hand, I'm on my fourth set of tires. These Masers are bullet proof and great cars if driven properly.
+1
That is EXACTLY how I drive it, 16K miles, no problems to speak of, drives great, on 3rd set of tires!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
+1
That is EXACTLY how I drive it, 16K miles, no problems to speak of, drives great, on 3rd set of tires!

Ditto. 13k, second set of tires, working on the 3rd. You can't explain that power band just before the rev limiter kicks in. Learn how to shift just before and it's a rocket.

The Maser motor makes it's peak horsepower just before red line. Anyone who shifts before that is wasting what the motor was designed for (and a hell of a lot of fun!). Drive it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts