Maserati Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GT-S is on the truck on its way to Chicago! :D

The dealer asked if I wanted "the clear plastic film "stone guard" applied to the front nose, mirror backs and lower rocker panels for $1295? (it has to be ordered and reserved in advance should you want it)."

Has anyone here had this applied to their GT or GT-S? How do you like it? Did you pay extra or $1295, or 0? I seem to recall it on the demos, not sure if it was standard. Kind of odd I have to decide in advance. If its a port installed option, I would have had to request it, before making it on the truck.

How do you think it will look on Girgio Alfieri? May be dark enough to not be noticeable?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had it installed on my Black Spyder about 4 months ago. It looks pretty good and you cannot really see it until you are quite close. That being said, the shine is clearly less pronounced than the stock paint and it is a bit sticky (miocrofibre cloths leave threads behind as an example). I paid $600 CDN for the front only (1/3 hood coverage plus the mirrors). The number you have been quoted sounds a bit high but not out of the park if they are going to do the rocker panels. Despite the above noted deficits, IMO the protection it provides is well worth it, particularly if you drive the car fast.

Frankly, it never ceases to amaze me when I see Ferraris and such without the 3M coverage that are a bit older, yet still have no visible chips. When I bought my car it also had no chips whatsoever. I picked it up in Denver and drove it back to Calgary (about 1500 miles) on deserted back roads through Wyoming and Montana averaging 85MPH over 3 days with very long stretches at well over 100 and a few bursts as fast as 165MPH. When I got home, the front literally looked like someone has taken a sand blaster to it. It was worse that most cars after 20 years! There were chips right down to the primer all over the front of the car and it got worse the more I drove it after that trip. I am now convinced that speed exponentially increases the rate of stone chip erosion of paint. The good news is that the 3M covered up most of those chips and stopped the process from continuing despite an increase in my "assertive driving" style after I installed my FD mods.

Bottom line - these cars are meant for fast driving. If you bought the car for image, save your money. If you are a driver, it is a must have. Either way, if you live where there is a lot of sand or gravel on the road, I think it will pay for itself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I paid about the same and think it was probably worth it. So far there's no noticeable appearance change (my car's Sebring Blue). I only have about 650 miles so far, so I haven't yet tested it in hyperdrive the way Flash has.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Mine

I've aquired mine with 3M nose bra and mirors etc and I believe it's a gr8 investment and also on the resale part you'll be on the up side because of no blemishes and a lot of buyers are looking for perfection.
Enjoy your car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts