Maserati Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
I used to do automotive plastics and carbon professionally. I don’t anymore. The trick is making stuff that lasts. It’s not too difficult to whip up something that looks good for a while, but in a year? That’s the trick. A lot of it has to do with heat. Heat destroys plastics. It took me a while to refine what materials used, and I ate a bunch of warranty repairs the first summer that some of my clients in hot climates had seams cracking!

·
Registered
236 Posts
At first this notorious issue didn't bother me all that much. I've changed my mind after a few months living with sticky, tacky surfaces and buttons every day. It's disgusting. I've attacked everything with alcohol cleaning pads, then 99% alcohol (which took off some of the labels, so that was great) and vigorously rubbing only to have mediocre results - at best. Are our only options really to just live with it or pay through the nose to have it all refinished? Ferrari/Maserati of Palm Beach quoted me 2500 to do it, and Fort Lauderdale quoted me over 5k. This is a ridiculous issue for a car of this supposed caliber to have, to the point where it really detracts from the experience. Really sick of touching sticky, tacky, gummy surfaces all over this car.
You can use the rubbing alcohol to scrape the sticky soft touch from the surface, with a piece of plastic and cloth. It takes some patience (30-40 minutes per piece) and you can't rub the surface too vigorously or white letters will come off....do it gently. Basically, scrape, remove and wipe off the gummy stuff. Merely, wiping or rubbing the surface won't remove the gummy stuff...it'll just clean the surface for a few weeks. If done correctly, you will have a nice clean surface with no more gum. I don't like the soft touch surface but if you do, best to re-finish although it's a pain to remove the pieces.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You can use the rubbing alcohol to scrape the sticky soft touch from the surface, with a piece of plastic and cloth. It takes some patience (30-40 minutes per piece) and you can't rub the surface too vigorously or white letters will come off....do it gently. Basically, scrape, remove and wipe off the gummy stuff. Merely, wiping or rubbing the surface won't remove the gummy stuff...it'll just clean the surface for a few weeks. If done correctly, you will have a nice clean surface with no more gum. I don't like the soft touch surface but if you do, best to re-finish although it's a pain to remove the pieces.
interesting. I wonder if you could use an eraser wheel to do it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Have you tried your method on the HVAC controls? The buttons there are all white underneath and the black surface is easily removed, let alone being overly concerned about preserving the snowflake, +, et al.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
so you

So you don't have any first hand experience but are making post like you do...?

As the saying goes, "You don't have a dog in this fight".
Bro...Sock dude must have like "fifty-eleven-thousand" dogs! HA HA HA
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have you tried your method on the HVAC controls? The buttons there are all white underneath and the black surface is easily removed, let alone being overly concerned about preserving the snowflake, +, et al.
Yes, it works well for the HVAC, radio panels etc....just do gently with Q tip plastic and cloth. Maybe the earlier models are white underneath...I am not sure. If so, give it a try slowly, bit by bit...I don't do brute force. Refinish is ok too if you want to remove panels.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes, it works well for the HVAC, radio panels etc....just do gently with Q tip plastic and cloth. Maybe the earlier models are white underneath...I am not sure. If so, give it a try slowly, bit by bit...I don't do brute force. Refinish is ok too if you want to remove panels.
I've given it a try and the HVAC buttons on my car are white underneath and the white is easily revealed with very little rubbing. Once the white is exposed, you're screwed.

Reactions: Dave Rocks

·
Registered
784 Posts
Every panel has white plastic buttons. You are cleaning the clear soft touch off and you (and others) got lucky that the base paint was not damaged. Not everyone is that lucky.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts