Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At first this notorious issue didn't bother me all that much. I've changed my mind after a few months living with sticky, tacky surfaces and buttons every day. It's disgusting. I've attacked everything with alcohol cleaning pads, then 99% alcohol (which took off some of the labels, so that was great) and vigorously rubbing only to have mediocre results - at best. Are our only options really to just live with it or pay through the nose to have it all refinished? Ferrari/Maserati of Palm Beach quoted me 2500 to do it, and Fort Lauderdale quoted me over 5k. This is a ridiculous issue for a car of this supposed caliber to have, to the point where it really detracts from the experience. Really sick of touching sticky, tacky, gummy surfaces all over this car.

/rant

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Your living with one of the main reasons the resale on these cars drops like a rock. I bought my otherwise excellent condition GT with one of the worse sticky button issues. One long time owner then a series of auctions and attempts at fixing the button issue...none worked. I bought the car a year and a half ago based on a clean PPI and knowing I was going to put some money into it.

There are no simple fixes for the long term. Removing the sticky coating can only make things worse, replacement with factory new only leaves you with parts that will likewise go bad in time. $2,500 or even $5,000 at a dealer won't do it. The only permanent solution is to remove, disassemble, strip, re-coat and engrave each part. Yes it's expensive but your enjoyment and resale value will make it worthwhile.

If your car is otherwise in great condition, I highly recommend it. Now there are 2 replacement products that replace the most expensive parts to refinish, the AUcar radio and HVAC control, available at just a little more than the refinishing cost.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Your living with one of the main reasons the resale on these cars drops like a rock. I bought my otherwise excellent condition GT with one of the worse sticky button issues. One long time owner then a series of auctions and attempts at fixing the button issue...none worked. I bought the car a year and a half ago based on a clean PPI and knowing I was going to put some money into it.

There are no simple fixes for the long term. Removing the sticky coating can only make things worse, replacement with factory new only leaves you with parts that will likewise go bad in time. $2,500 or even $5,000 at a dealer won't do it. The only permanent solution is to remove, disassemble, strip, re-coat and engrave each part. Yes it's expensive but your enjoyment and resale value will make it worthwhile.

If your car is otherwise in great condition, I highly recommend it. Now there are 2 replacement products that replace the most expensive parts to refinish, the AUcar radio and HVAC control, available at just a little more than the refinishing cost.
Nah. Lots of spaghetti cars do this. You don’t even have to engrave them or anything. The newer buttons don’t even do it. If you replace the buttons with new it won’t happen.

Or you can just recoat them with plasti dip it’s like 6 bucks

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Nah. Lots of spaghetti cars do this. You don’t even have to engrave them or anything. The newer buttons don’t even do it. If you replace the buttons with new it won’t happen.

Or you can just recoat them with plasti dip it’s like 6 bucks
Yes, for 6 bucks you can make your car look like a hundred bucks!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts

Was a big reason why i did the Aucar/climate install. Got rid of a bunch of potentially sticky buttons, and upgraded my tunes at the same time 👍 win win

Reactions: Cynabar

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I assume you're referring to Sticky RX? Pricey indeed. Then there's the issue of how to even remove half the trim pieces, your car being down waiting for parts to come back and then re-installing. To your point above regarding resale value, you may have a point there - this is a massive PITA that's time and labor intensive to fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was a big reason why i did the Aucar/climate install. Got rid of a bunch of potentially sticky buttons, and upgraded my tunes at the same time 👍 win win
I do have the Aucar Gen 2, good buy for both those reasons, even with occasional glitches.

4,630 Posts
Anything you get done from Sticky RX is gonna look perfect as we deal with Dave a good bit...It is not cheap and he is usually pretty far behind so you need to keep that in mind..He is currently has everything for a 430 we sent him..He is 5 like weeks from opening the box..As far as wiping all that stuff yourself...There are numerous chemicals you can use...Rubbing alcohol, baby wipes, etc...Some buttons are easy and will come out looking ok...Some parts require disassembly and you'll never get it looking that good at home...It really depends on how picky you are and what you want to spend...On a Ferrari we always send the parts out as that won't work on one of those cars ....Jason

Reactions: Dave Rocks

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
If your car is a keeper (certainly if a 13 or later) the AUcar upgrades can reduce Dave's cost by almost 2G. My guess is, you may skip a few parts, do a seasonal layup, Leatherique the interior, clay and ceramic exterior, tell Dave your budget ( I think 4-5G) and you will have one hell of a GT.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes, for 6 bucks you can make your car look like a hundred bucks!
As opposed to the Chinese audio masters AUCar where half of it doesn’t work, there’s no warranty, the heat turns on randomly and the WiFi is DOA in all of them? They’ll sell everyone defective products and call it “V1”That’s way better.

4,630 Posts
There is like 15 products in my house right now that will that remove that coating...The problem is when you get to some of the more precise switches they are gonna look like crap as you can't get them clean without taking them all apart..Jason

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
w
As opposed to the Chinese audio masters AUCar where half of it doesn’t work, there’s no warranty, the heat turns on randomly and the WiFi is DOA in all of them? They’ll sell everyone defective products and call it “V1”That’s way better.
The AUcar V2 is heads above the OEM, I only use my Hotspot so no need for WiFi. My StickyRx HVAC is perfect. How's your ammonia/PlastiDip working out?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
so you
Don’t have sticky buttons, and I’m running a 10” tablet mounted
So you don't have any first hand experience but are making post like you do...?

As the saying goes, "You don't have a dog in this fight".

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Yeah, I 'Hot Spot' my Aucar and it has worked very well, thus far...

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm not going to deny that our work is expensive but I must tell you I've in the process of a 1100 SF addition to my garage at home. I've spent $7K on landscaping alone and that was a small guy who beat out prices of nearly $10K. Not a lot of work either. Sometimes I think I should have been a landscaper. and, the painter is $3500. When you compare those prices and amount of work they do vs what we do, we should charge double. No, I'm not going to but some of the comments crack me up.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts