Maserati Forum banner

Sticky Maserati/Ferrari DASH ISSUE

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Dave Rocks 
#1 ·
I joined this forum because I have a passion for fine Italian craftsmanship, particularly in exotic luxury cars... with one major exception: I have owned Ferrari (360 Spyder) and now Maserati Q. Both had sticky dash issues. The Maserati is so bad it looks like a furry animal at this point. These are LUXURY ITALIAN CARS!
Why is it OUR PROBLEM TO FIND A FIX??? it’s a DEFECT that should have been RECALLED. It’s shameful and needs to be discussed & dealt with at the dealership level. Not online with easy off ( no offense) . German cars don’t have this issue-& if they did they’d FIX IT FOR THEIR BUYERS. We should, IMHO
Speak up & demand a recall. They know this is a serious ( and disgusting) issue. But it’s THEIR problem to resolve- not ours

#2 ·
Welcome and I hear you but this manufacturing defect continues for many reasons; One, it typically becomes evident only after the warranty has expired, Two, it does not fall into a safety issue so the NTSB isn’t getting involved. Three, most of those dealing with this issue are not the original owners so recourse with the manufacture is futile.

My first Maserati QP had no sticky issues so I didn’t give it much thought when I bought my used GranCabrio but like you, I found otherwise. Like many I tried all the remedies. Buying new replacements is only temporary as they will eventually fail.

The only permanent fix is to strip all the original soft coating off, re-coat with a hard coating and laser engrave the markings. Your talking $4-8k (StikyRx) or something less but not as good, or just living with it.

I love my Mas and paid a third of the original price. I plan to keep it a long time so I bit the bullet with SticyRx and plan to enjoy it rather than deal with it.

Reactions: DONNACastro
#8 ·
Welcome and I hear you but this manufacturing defect continues for many reasons; One, it typically becomes evident only after the warranty has expired, Two, it does not fall into a safety issue so the NTSB isn’t getting involved. Three, most of those dealing with this issue are not the original owners so recourse with the manufacture is futile.

My first Maserati QP had no sticky issues so I didn’t give it much thought when I bought my used GranCabrio but like you, I found otherwise. Like many I tried all the remedies. Buying new replacements is only temporary as they will eventually fail.

The only permanent fix is to strip all the original soft coating off, re-coat with a hard coating and laser engrave the markings. Your talking $4-8k (StikyRx) or something less but not as good, or just living with it.

I love my Mas and paid a third of the original price. I plan to keep it a long time so I bit the bullet with SticyRx and plan to enjoy it rather than deal with it.
I was wondering if you've had any problems with the StickyRx.com has been worth it(if you still have the car) Also seems the newer 2018/9 GT has a different interior than the plastics they have used for years(not sure about the QP) So maybe they've finally listened? After seeing the cost of sitickyrx I'm not sure be worth doing on my 2012 QP

#4 ·
It is a sad situation, and widely discussed on various forums on the net. Personally...if I were Ferrari / Maserati I would be ashamed and embarrassed, it tarnishes their reputations. But as Cynabar says, original owners don't keep the vehicles long enough to experience the stickies...and that is all that matters to the folks in Modena.

#5 ·
I bought my QP new 2007 and the sticky issue began year 2. Always garaged... treated right. Not only that the check engine light won’t come off and Boardwalk Ferrari in PLANO can’t find a fix after 5 years... trunk release won’t open since day one... the car is gorgeous drives like a dream.. but it’s SOOOOO problematic it’s embarrassing.

#7 ·
As my time allows, I've been using Blackfire Cleaner as recommended by another member on this forum, and slowly wiping & removing the sticky coating from various trim pieces a bit at at time, revealing the plain black plastic underneath. It's a slow and tedious process, and the black plastic surface isn't as nice looking as the coated surface but it's not bad. You can't clean everything as some buttons are actually white plastic covered by the black coating, for those I'm just cleaning them as best I can without being too aggressive. I also read where another forum member used mineral oil to wipe things down, and after a few applications the result was pretty good - I have not tried this yet but will do so at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.