Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plain old mineral oil. Get the unscented stuff from a pharmacy.

I had a theory, based on work with other plastics and polymers when their oil separates out and they become sticky. Replenish their oil and the tackiness reduces or goes away.

So I tried it on the buttons on my dash (the a/c buttons and the black around the shifter console were starting to grab lint and not let go). Basically you rub on a thin coat of mineral oil with a microfiber cloth and try to clean off as much fuzz as you can. It takes a few days to soak in and really get to work but it definitely worked for me when other methods did not, or worse, began to remove the black paint and leave the stickiness unfixed. It took 2 applications/cleanings to really get it like new.

What's more, the mineral oil won't harm your leather or wood.

Worked well for mine, might work well for yours too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Plain old mineral oil. Get the unscented stuff from a pharmacy.

I had a theory, based on work with other plastics and polymers when their oil separates out and they become sticky. Replenish their oil and the tackiness reduces or goes away.

So I tried it on the buttons on my dash (the a/c buttons and the black around the shifter console were starting to grab lint and not let go). Basically you rub on a thin coat of mineral oil with a microfiber cloth and try to clean off as much fuzz as you can. It takes a few days to soak in and really get to work but it definitely worked for me when other methods did not, or worse, began to remove the black paint and leave the stickiness unfixed. It took 2 applications/cleanings to really get it like new.

What's more, the mineral oil won't harm your leather or wood.

Worked well for mine, might work well for yours too.

This totally makes sense since plastic is a petroleum product. Could this be a good preventative measure to take before it gets sticky? I want to avoid mine from getting sticky to begin with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No detrimental effects. It's due for another wipedown though. I think that time just keeps making the stuff sticky and you just gotta keep re-oiling it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts