Maserati Forum banner

Sticky Buttons and Plastic Parts

29K views 57 replies 26 participants last post by  Sanmiam 
#1 ·
My 2002 Maserati Coupe recently came down with the dreaded sticky button disease. Almost all of the rubber buttons and plastic parts in the car have become gummy and sticky. My fingers get black whenever I try to use the radio and I put a CD in the changer the other day and it wouldn't work. When I removed it I found that black sticky gum was all over the underside of the CD.

This sticky part business is such crap. Over $100k for a car and after a few years the interior goes to hell. I think all MaseratiLife members ought to start writing irate letters to Maserati and complain about this situation. Maserati should do a recall and replace all of these parts. At minimum they should offer a retrofit kit that contains all parts that either become sticky or have the fake chrome peel off and they should offer the kit either free or at a low cost.

These buttons and other sticky parts cost almost nothing from the manufacturer. I imagine most of these buttons cost the manufacturer only a few cents apiece. Other parts, such as the steering wheel surround are fairly pricey when bought from the dealer but I can't imagine they cost Maserati more than a few dollars each when purchased in bulk. I think that Maserati could assemble a kit containing all of the parts that either have the chrome flake off or the rubber become sticky and sell the entire kit for $50 (their cost). Replacing all of those parts at dealer prices would cost $10,000 or so since you can't just buy the buttons for the radio and CD changer. You have to buy the entire unit just to replace some crappy rubber parts that should never have been put on a $100000 car.

I spoke with my mechanic the other day and he said that 100 percent of Maserati's and Ferrari's eventually get this problem. Maserati has known since the 90's that the coating they put on these parts (to make them look velvety) is defective and will degrade as soon as the car gets out of warranty. Apparently, they don't care.

If Maserati gets enough irate letters/phonecalls/emails on this topic they may decide to do something about it. Does anyone else feel the way I do?

:ninja2:

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the same issue and was told that goo gone would work well with elbow grease. It did and like an idiot I thought Goof off would do the same thing and it took the paint off in seconds (from the various buttons). I am now in search of new buttons or used buttons from a totaled QP Sport GT 2007.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Evironmental or age related?

I am wondering what the most recent model is that has developed "sticky button disease?"
Also wondering the location of the cars that develop the disease? Maybe the environment has something to do with it (high humidity, ie Sarasota, as in Lorenz's case, or high smog).
Rocketman, where does your car live?

#7 ·
Every Maserati owner needs to write or call Maserati to complain about these shoddy sticky parts. Maserati has been making these shoddy parts since the 90s and they make no effort to fix the defective spray covering because they don't care that their customers have to pay thousands of dollars to fix their crap. Almost every Maserati has this problem eventually because the coating is defective.

I wrote and told them my current Maserati would be my last. If every Maseratilife member wrote to Maserati and told them the same thing they might take action.

Maserati could easily replace the sticky keys with replacement keys for free or at dealer cost. Unfortunately, customers can't buy just the keys. They have to buy the entire radio or vent or console or switch. Maserati should buy kits containing all the parts that get sticky and then give them to customers of sell them for cost. It should be possible to buy all these parts at cost for $50 so why doesn't Maserati just bite the bullet and do the right thing.

Suggest you call Maserati North America and give them a piece of your mind.

#8 ·
I've personally replaced all of the sticky buttons in a Maserati Gran Turismo for a client. Maserati covered the parts only because he just purchased the vehicle. He fought long and hard to have it done. Since he just took a trip to Italy, and met the Maserati Admin there, I think that helped. I would like to tell you this would be helpful, but I really don't think it's going to go anywhere.

I mean I'm all for making the complaint for no other reason to keep it in front of them. But people have been complaining for years both Maserati and Ferrari. People point to the fact they paid tons of money for the Maserati, but Ferraris are even more expensive and unfortunately they haven't corrected the issue from complaints on that end either.

#9 ·
Send us an email or PM if you need any of your buttons or emblems replaced. We carry all Genuine Maserati replacement buttons, badges, emblems, etc. We have them for all models and guarantee the best delivered price.

#28 ·
Larry just did my buttons and I am beyond pleased. Removing and replacing was not that difficult if you're methodical and careful, and he was very willing to walk you through any difficulties. The refurbished buttons look like new and I had them in my hands less than a week after mailing him my "stickies". I would absolutely recommend him and his work. He is a very honorable man.

#19 ·
The sticky button is the problem I have now after 12 years and 40,000 miles. Lorenzo apparently has a product as does sticky no more according to the local dealer.

It is notable to me that Toyota gave me new seat belts after 12 years and 120,000 miles, among other out of warranty fixes on the minivan. I did not call them. They called me. There is no evidence of sticky buttons on my minivan either.

On the other hand I think the buttons on my S65 are feeling a bit tacky, but not like the Coupe.

#20 · (Edited)
I have two Toyota's and they're constantly doing recalls and promotions. I think they're trying to get you to come to the dealers where you pay to fix other things or, better yet, buy a new Toyota. (Bob Lutz said this about recalls during an interview) Toyota's rarely have problems so owners wouldn't bring them in otherwise. It's really a form of advertising, and it works. Unfortunately Maserati's fall into Ferrari dealerships where the attitude is "how did a piece of s**t like you get this car"?

#22 ·
Thanks Lorenzo - beautiful buttons again!

I was recommended to locate Lorenzo on this forum. I contacted him by email just before Christmas 2017 and discussed refurbishing all the sticky components on my 2004 4200 GT (which I shipped from the UK to sub-tropical Queensland 4 years earlier).

Lorenzo was very helpful and patient with my questions. He gave me a lot of advice as I removed all the affected parts. I sent him the package by courier and he started work as soon as it arrived in Florida. The next day he sent me a photo of the parts he had already finished, and shipped the entire collection back to me within three days!

He cheerfully told me my buttons were the worst he had ever been sent! I have attached a "before" and "after" photo to this post.

Everything was beautifully finished and packed. I was very impressed and pleased with the quality and price. I would recommend his service to anyone who asks.

I was very worried about how the project would turn out, but it has been a great success - my wife is happy to open the windows and glove locker again now that she doesn't get her fingers black and sticky!

I had never done anything like this before, so I made careful notes and took photos as I removed the components, which was very useful when I came to put everything back together. The main cause of my delay in posting this "job done" status was discovering I had lost one of the four tiny gold springs inside the satnav unit. I spent a long time searching for a replacement and even considered trying to make one myself. After two weeks and giving up all hope, I spotted the missing spring in a corner of my garage. Now everything is as good as new again.

Thank you Lorenzo, and well done!

Attachments

#23 ·
I have a 2006 GranSport Spyder. Always garaged but that didn't matter, every black surface was a mess. After searching a lot of forums (it isn't just Italian cars with this issue) I opted to try Oxi-Clean. WOW, it took all the sticky off without much effort. All the buttons, vents, door handle guards, and steering column look great. That's the good news, the not so good news is the seat backs are a grey plastic, not black underneath that mess. Not sure what I will do with them but it isn't a pressing matter (I have a lot of carbon in the car already, I may just carbon fiber the backs). So, if you have a few hours and want to save a little money, use a strong OxiClean to water ratio, a wet soft rag to wipe the mess off and a dry one to catch the dribbles. All my parts look new again with very little effort (save for the seat backs).

#24 ·
I am an owner of a 2017 GT and am aware of this issue here is what im currently doing to try and get ahead of this issue .Once a month I use a product called Regenex It creates a barrier between the oils in your fingers and the buttons . This car is ceramic coated and really does not need to washed more than once a month . To deal with heat I went on Amazon and got a small rechargeable fan . I place this fan on the console when its in the garage and blowing air on the dash . The buttons are cool to the touch in the morning . I do not know long term if any of this will help but so far so good . I will update every few months .

#29 ·
I was also very angry about the sticky parts. After I bought the vehicle I went to my local mechanic. (he has never had a Maserati in the garage)
I showed him the problem. He has cleaned all the parts for me - steering wheel cover - door handles - heating etc., and painted with a special paint from the spray can. That sounds a bit crazy but not even Maserati in Athens could tell a difference to the original. Cost 200 euros. I am happy to send pictures. For an authorized Maserati mechanic I will have the control knobs incl. Radio part renewed in September for 800 euros. The time to deal with this matter with Maserati seems to me hopeless.

#33 · (Edited)
Thanks Lorenz, you are defintely the expert. Great catch on the vent! Im confident they will make it right.

I think you are seeing an optical illusion on the light switch indicator, Its frosted like factory. Nothing was painted.

Again, i hope there are no hard feelings not sending them to you. I was trying to avoid shipping if at all possible as replacing this stuff would have been a bigger nightmare.

They were doing a couple Gran Turismo's also, even fully disassembled the radio on one. Its a very nice shop run by some good people in my opinion. 'Sticky' seems not to be something they want to do full time, but do do it for their clients since most have that issue.

#34 ·
Thanks for the very good and factual contributions in this forum. I'm done with the parts now - heating up on the Amarturen board. Blower outlet, storage at the cigarette lighter, the thickening outside the vehicle behind the Speigeln, the door handle shells, the steering wheel cover, the lower part of the armrest. Price all in 550.- Euro. Since yesterday the vehicle is at an authorized Maserati service.
For all buttons including radio / sat nav I pay 1300 euros. Then all problems are resolved. I send photos. My goal is to put the car back in the new condition. The love for this car is worth it to me. I am 60 years old my wife is 40. I want her second husband when I die also has his fun.

#35 ·
Thanks for the very good and factual contributions in this forum. I'm done with the parts now - heating up on the Amarturen board. Blower outlet, storage at the cigarette lighter, the thickening outside the vehicle behind the Mirror, the door handle shells, the steering wheel cover, the lower part of the armrest. Price all in 550.- Euro. Since yesterday the vehicle is at an authorized Maserati service.
For all buttons including radio / sat nav I pay 1300 euros. Then all problems are resolved. I send photos. My goal is to put the car back in the new condition. The love for this car is worth it to me. I am 60 years old my wife is 40. I want her second husband when I die also has his fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.