Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used GranTurismo and was dismayed to find that many of my dash, steering wheel, and other buttons are sticky and gunky feeling, faded, or just worn. I had thought that the persons who owned it before me just did not take good care of it, but since discovered that this is a common problem, and not just with Maseratis, either. I started looking around if the buttons could be purchased to replace them, but discovered it would require a purchase of the entire steering wheel or panel, etc., so I though I would just have to live with the issue.

I had some other repairs made to the tearing of the vinyl finish of the console (another common Maserati problem, I have learned), and asked about the buttons and my repair guy referred me to the following site:

https://stickynomore.com/index.html

I have not used them yet, but I intend to and will share my experiences, but this seems a much, much cheaper solution than buying new parts. Looks like a promising solution!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
This is a common problem with Ferrari's also, esp. the older 360/430's. Almost half the buttons and knobs on my 430 look like they've been melted with a lighter and smeared with goo.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Maserati should at least tell us what chemicals to use to get rid of the problem ourselves! Cost them nothing...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go to Home Depot and get Jebs Industrial degreaser. It will take off the sticky gunk and will not hurt the painted symbols. I have a Ferrari 360 and used it two years ago. Works great and no problems. The problem with Stickynomore is that you need to remove the parts and send them off to them. Well that is the hard part (removing the parts), the easy part is to just use Jebs and clean them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maserati sends the car out for aprox $2k to renue sticky crappie dash etc.
FYI they use Bleach and claim they have to restore the color when done!?
I tried some mild bleach but without any success. I'm afraid to try pure clorox because it's so toxic and the rag gets really hot.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I am buying a 2012 GT C Sport with the sticky panels.
Buttons ain't bad.
I would like to just replace the panels or refinish, but I think a replace may be better.
Anyone have any sources?
Thanks.

·
Vendor
736 Posts
Hi Dave - I just replied to your email. Replacement parts can be less expensive than refinished parts, however keep the following in mind:

1) The replacements will fail again, our hard touch coatings do not.

2) Often brand new parts come in the box sticky.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts

All, having used this “ 303 “ ( widely available ) for a long, long time to preserve everything home and cars that’s made out of rubber, plastic, fiberglass, and similar materials I will swear by it as the most extraordinary product I have had experience with in keeping as well as restoring all those things to a brand new like look and keeping it that way for years ! But, it’s not a cleaner per se , so no idea if it also may remove sticky residue, but if the buttons and knobs are in good shape , I’d recommend this preserver without hesitation. I use it once a year or so on all my cars dashboards, buttons, trim, windows weather stripping, other rubber components , my home spa cover which is constantly in the sun, etc, etc., those things refuse to fade ! I don’t have any sticky buttons ( yet ) but when they get that way, I’m going to give this a try and see if it removes the residue also.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
About this Discussion
78 Replies
25 Participants
Gaussianmist
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing