Maserati Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whether you are a fan or not... Maserati has solved these switch issues with adopting Stelantis hardware that uses high grade engineering plastics and printing. It's funny to watch all the "experts" bemoaning the use of this shared inventory and completely forgetting how horrendous the sticky button was. Just say'n.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Whether you are a fan or not... Maserati has solved these switch issues with adopting Stelantis hardware that uses high grade engineering plastics and printing. It's funny to watch all the "experts" bemoaning the use of this shared inventory and completely forgetting how horrendous the sticky button was. Just say'n.
I know for a fact that the new Ferrari models are hard touch coatings with laser etched graphics just like ours. I did review a Giblihi recently and it was hard touch as well with laser etched graphics so not sure what you are referring to with printing - that is only done on non-illuminated graphics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know for a fact that the new Ferrari models are hard touch coatings with laser etched graphics just like ours. I did review a Giblihi recently and it was hard touch as well with laser etched graphics so not sure what you are referring to with printing - that is only done on non-illuminated graphics.
My error... I referred to the graphics as "printing". You are correct, these are laser etched. None the less, it's state of the art.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
We have all read various solutions to clean sticky buttons. It seems the chief causes are heat, humidity & natural oils on fingers. But, is there a way to prevent the problem?
I truly believe that by mistake have solved the sticky button problem. I live in New Orleans and there is no hotter moisture plagued place on earth. I was working on my 2013 GTS and wow do I have sticky button syndrome out the A. I got some dirt / oil / grease on my carpet and it was on the ned logo and these carpet mats are new. I freaked so I went into the kitchen and got my wife's cure all as she puts it. Dawn Powerwash Spray. Certainly any baked on whatever as a result of meal prep during is defeated by this stuff. So in a panic I spray it on the logo and on a microfiber cloth and begin scrubbing frantically. Soaked it and waited 5 minutes, just the same process as my wife uses and sure enough, to more stain. So I decide to vacuum the rest of the matts and spray them just to freshen them up. It leaves a nice clean smell. While waiting for the 5 minute period to pass for the mats, I decided to spray the headlight panel where the auto light knob and assorted buttons reside. That thing was a sticky ugly mess. I just tried to not look at it. So now for the miracle!
The Dawn power spray REMOVES ALL OF THE STICKY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spray the area wait 5 minutes, spray the microfibre cloth very well, then rub it with the cloth and it goes away. This process took me three sessions to get it all off. The areas where it is really thick, use your fingernail and as it was before if you scrape it with your fingernail it made it worse. With Dawn Powerspray applied the scrapping with your fingernail removes sections completely. Rub easily with the cloth and whamo!
I was freaking out that this worked. Who knew? The remains after the gooey stuff is like new. The plastic surface feels like it did when new.
Good luck with this you will really be amazed. Don't spray the Dawn too closely. Spray a light coat since these are electrical devices. After application, all of my lights and buttons worked well. Just don't over soak. Use good judgement.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
549 Posts
lol I had a Snap-on screwdriver I left in a sink full of water and Dawn many years ago overnight by mistake. In the morning, the plastic handle had big, long, deep, and wide cracks all up and down it. It pretty much ate it away! Be careful!

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a member on here that does a PERFECT job restoring all of the sticky buttons, vents, bezels. The best by far...and his prices are 1/4 what some of the business' charge Do yourself a huge favor and look up Lorenzo on here. He has done two sets for me and they are OEM/Factory perfect right down to the excellent laser graphics. He should pop up on several of these "sticky button' threads if you search, he is the best
His member handle on here is: Lorenz-06MT, Lorenzo Rizzo.

·
Registered
961 Posts
There is a member on here that does a PERFECT job restoring all of the sticky buttons, vents, bezels. The best by far...and his prices are 1/4 what some of the business' charge Do yourself a huge favor and look up Lorenzo on here. He has done two sets for me and they are OEM/Factory perfect right down to the excellent laser graphics. He should pop up on several of these "sticky button' threads if you search, he is the best
His member handle on here is: Lorenz-06MT, Lorenzo Rizzo.
As I posted in response to your same post in the other thread, Larry does NOT do any laser etching.

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
521 Posts
lol I had a Snap-on screwdriver I left in a sink full of water and Dawn many years ago overnight by mistake. In the morning, the plastic handle had big, long, deep, and wide cracks all up and down it. It pretty much ate it away! Be careful!
My wife used this miracle cleaner on the cabinets around the stove. After a few weeks there was no glaze left on them and the paint started coming off, so yeah the cleaner is good, almost too good so be careful with it.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Yes but remember that Dawn is simply a dishwashing liquid. Therefore it must be safe for use as as it is in contact with human tissue. Read the labels on cleaners and if it is with acidic or is based from an alkaline, the probability of attack on plastics and paint are usually guaranteed. That is why I feel that the use of this simple safe product could help many. I can tell you that on the dash of my car, it did not affect any of the etched lettering, but it will if you rub too aggressively harm the indicators under the A/C supply air vents. Those small graphics showing if the vent is open or not will fade or be removed with to much of a aggressive nature. It may be that these graphics aren't etched, simply painted on to the plastic. You can put water on a cloth and make these symbols fade as well. But, heck, they are useless because I can tell if the vent is open or not without a printed label telling me so. It doesn't take a scientist to figure out if you have swamp ass is because the vent isn't open right?
But your warning to be careful is some good advice. We all should take caution when cleaning any part of the interior of an automobile. Thanks for you input, this is how a forum is supposed to function.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I really don't understand why our Maseratis have to have this problem. I also have a 2011 Mercedes s550 4matic and none of this sticky stuff going on. Admittedly though one of the dash vents is peeling but that's nothing compared to my quattroporte. I have cleaned most of the stuff in my Maserati in place and some I have taken apart and done but doesn't make sense why we should have this problem..

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I really don't understand why our Maseratis have to have this problem. I also have a 2011 Mercedes s550 4matic and none of this sticky stuff going on. Admittedly though one of the dash vents is peeling but that's nothing compared to my quattroporte. I have cleaned most of the stuff in my Maserati in place and some I have taken apart and done but doesn't make sense why we should have this problem..
I asked that question of a certified Maserati shop here in New Orleans and he said that certain manufacturers and certain model experimented with a surface technology called soft touch. The buttons and a soft almost velvet touch. When they didn't expect was that heat over periods of time depending on the quality of materials and the application mills thickness, the chemical degraded and separated. What you have left is what we see as sticky sensations after the chemical has decomposed. The use of chemical type cleaners is what plagues the actual plastic and any paint because what those products do is attempt to dissolve the sticky residue. What product such as Dawn create is the loss of adhesion not the destruction of the sticky chemical surface. When I was using Dawn Powerspray not Dawn dishwashing liquid, I could peel some of the unattached film off in a single piece. So the Dawn Powerspray separates the bonding property oc the chemicals, it doesn't try to dissolve them. Chemicals that have the power to dissolve, will do so with anything it contacts. There may be some other kind to human skin cleaners that may work as well, but I have needed to try since I had great response with what I used. Don't know till we try different things.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Soft Touch coatings have been used on high end makes since the early - mid 90's. Ferrari, Maserati, Lambo, Alfa Romeo, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover to name a few.

A soft touch coating is an open coating and that is where the failure comes from. Heat and humidity accelerate the failure but do not cause it.

These coatings are have also been used on many consumer products as well.

With all due respect, the myth that Dawn soap is solving the problem is just plain nonsense. When the coating fails, almost anything will work to clean off the failed coating. Try Dawn on a brand new part and watch it do nothing.

The internet is full of nonsense cures. I read it all :rolleyes: :cool:

6,682 Posts
Soft Touch coatings have been used on high end makes since the early - mid 90's. Ferrari, Maserati, Lambo, Alfa Romeo, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover to name a few.

A soft touch coating is an open coating and that is where the failure comes from. Heat and humidity accelerate the failure but do not cause it.

With all due respect, the myth that Dawn soap is solving the problem is just plain nonsense. When the coating fails, almost anything will work to clean off the failed coating. Try Dawn on a brand new part and watch it do nothing.

Preach it brother..The internet... 😆 J

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,291 Posts
Not everything on the internet is crap, only 80% of it.. a solid 20% is pretty valid and useful info ☺ . The challenge is to navigate through, filter and sort out all of the b.s. to eventually find that 20%. Home remedies are just like the “As seen on TV” products , some work, others work only for five minutes. 😉

·
Registered
961 Posts
Not everything on the internet is crap, only 80% of it.. a solid 20% is pretty valid and useful info ☺ . The challenge is to navigate through, filter and sort out all of the b.s. to eventually find that 20%. Home remedies are just like the “As seen on TV” products , some work, others work only for five minutes. 😉
Very true, Dan.

In this case, it's not like the Dawn guy is wrong. But, why I get frustrated is a guy with a sample size of exactly one sings a tune like the fountain of youth has been discovered. I'm glad he is pleased with his solution but to come on a forum and post as this is a major discovery is just very misleading.

6,682 Posts
Word! Every poster seems to do something once and then gets on a car forum and declare the be all solution for every issue with a car these days...It doesn't work that way in my experience...Every situation is different ... I can't even list all the chemicals I have seen people use to clean sticky buttons at this point...1/2 claim they found the magic...
:rolleyes: J

Reactions: DSGT and Dave Rocks
6,682 Posts
I will say I can see why they put that coating on stuff...If you touch both with your finger than the difference is very noticeable....It didn't work out, but I can see why a manufacture would do that...Check that..It worked out for Dave...;) J

Reactions: Catmanv2
21 - 40 of 77 Posts