Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all read various solutions to clean sticky buttons. It seems the chief causes are heat, humidity & natural oils on fingers. But, is there a way to prevent the problem?

·
Registered
963 Posts
We have all read various solutions to clean sticky buttons. It seems the chief causes are heat, humidity & natural oils on fingers. But, is there a way to prevent the problem?
No. And the failure is time based however hot, humid climates will accelerate it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
It’s just the oils on your fingers. I have other electronics with the same coating and they’re the same (midi controller, drone TX for example).
You can just remove the coating with makeup wipes and it will leave the plastic.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
551 Posts
Hmmm, not sure I totally agree..."It’s just the oils on your fingers" The only sticky, and I mean goopy, buttons I have are the tow and alarm buttons above the rear view mirror...least touched buttons in the car...

Reactions: ras61 and DSGT

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hmmm, not sure I totally agree..."It’s just the oils on your fingers" The only sticky, and I mean goopy, buttons I have are the tow and alarm buttons above the rear view mirror...least touched buttons in the car...
Maybe there’s another factor but I know for a fact finger oil does it

mine is a 2013 with no sticky and has held up better than our Honda buttons idk

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
551 Posts
lol good to know Honda has the problem too!
Well...at least we all agree it plane 'o sucks that this happens :(

Now that I think about it...I wonder if we sprayed them with come kind of clear coat before reaching the stickiness if that would "seal" them... :unsure: added...of course that could make it worse!

Reactions: DSGT

·
Registered
963 Posts
It’s just the oils on your fingers. I have other electronics with the same coating and they’re the same (midi controller, drone TX for example).
You can just remove the coating with makeup wipes and it will leave the plastic.
Sorry - that's wrong. Brand new parts in boxes go sticky that never see finger oil, sunlight, etc. Soft Touch coatings are what is call an open coating and that property causes them to fail over time.

and yeah - go ahead and use makeup wipes are remove all the graphics SMH..

Why do people who don't know what they are talking about post nonsense? Please let me know what you do for a living so I can tell you how right I am posting about your area of expertise :rolleyes:

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think we can all agree that they're just crap to begin with. Between the sticky, gooey mess of the Mas and the flaking of the buttons on the Merc, I've come to the understanding that they are all just crap in their own way. The best option I've seen is Dave's TBH. Cheers.

Reactions: Dave Rocks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agree, my 2010 went sticky years ago including areas that never get touched. Interesting to hear of makeup wipes for cleaning, I used straight ammonia which worked pretty well, I still have a couple small areas to do, may give them a try

·
Registered
14 Posts
[QUOTE="GT/MC 4ME, post: 1030409,
Now that I think about it...I wonder if we sprayed them with come kind of clear coat before reaching the stickiness if that would "seal" them... :unsure: added...of course that could make it worse!
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, a cracking peeling mess, not to mention all the work of removing or masking the parts for coating. I recommend a good dehumidifier in the garage, a tub of Damp Rip on the floor, and PRAY! 🙏

·
Registered
12 Posts
[QUOTE="GT/MC 4ME, post: 1030409,
Sounds like a recipe for disaster, a cracking peeling mess, not to mention all the work of removing or masking the parts for coating. I recommend a good dehumidifier in the garage, a tub of Damp Rip on the floor, and PRAY! 🙏
[/QUOTE]
Removing the parts for cleaning and painting isn't too difficult

·
Registered
963 Posts
Removing the parts for cleaning and painting isn't too difficult

Really?

• Have you taken apart all of these assemblies down to every tiny button?
  • Have you stripped the parts to bare plastic?
  • Where to you get professional coatings (not rattle cans) that are chemical resistant, mar resistant and the proper gloss level?
  • Do you have a paint booth so you don't get dust in the finish?
  • How will you apply the graphics?

Yep - it's all a very simple process :p

1 - 20 of 81 Posts