Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i got the car, about 3 weeks ago, the rubber looked like it was on it's way out, but not nearly as bad as it does now...i also have a ferrari so i am familiar with this defect...

my question is this, what's the best way to remove all this junk?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's some defect that seemingly all ferraris and masers seem to have. it's the black plastic items, when they're new they are a matte black finish. over time, they get sticky and very very messy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber cleaner conditioner #40

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
You may have already seen the posts on www.stickynomore.com. If not, do a search here and visit their site - they will refinish your buttons.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The link Vincezo provided is the way to go. Out of curiosity, since you mentioned that they got a lot worse in such a short time period since you bought the car, what products do you use on your interior?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The link Vincezo provided is the way to go. Out of curiosity, since you mentioned that they got a lot worse in such a short time period since you bought the car, what products do you use on your interior?
in the ferrari world, people reco oven cleaner (forgot the name) which strips the plastic of the stickiness.

i just got the QP, not sure what previous owner used, but do know it seemed like the minute i got it, it went downhill.:thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
The coating is actually clear, "soft-touch polymer" which allows the colors beneath to show. It is the same coating on the iPhone charge cords from Apple, which gives the soft feel when new but over time turns sticky. The company that owns a patent on this was actually a client on a TV show I produced a while back.

The solution varies a bit depending on the part you are re-doing. It is very sticky and if it's "not ready" to come off, then it can be a real pain. For this reason, I recommend REMOVING any part you plan on treating.

On my mirror control, headlight/foglight switch and various smaller parts, goo-gone worked wonders. I slowly loosened up the material with Goo-Gone, rubbed it off with a thin rag, then finished it off with Cinch spray. Like new now.

My steering wheel column wasn't that easy. I had to remove then strip it with Acetone, then refinish it with Krylon semigloss black. Now it looks factory new.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Are the fingerprints visible now with the new coating?
No, not at all. Once the polymer is removed, it leaves behind smooth plastic. On the repainted parts, it matched the factory look without the soft feel.

If any repainting is done strongly recommend Krylon only because it dries fast and sticks to pretty much anything.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I found success with Blackfire All-in-one all-purpose cleaner. Use full strength, spray onto a rag and start rubbing. Also will not wipe off labels. Just with this I fixed my ashtray and parts of the console, it was like a ball of tar and now it's smooth clean black again.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am trying to get Maserati to replace sticky buttons under the new car warranty. But it is a slow process. Dealer is trying to get Maserati to approve but doesn't know if approval will be forthcoming. Plus, Dealer and I must resolve our differences about the new car warranty. I maintain I paid $3900 for an "extension" of the new car warranty. Dealer feels I have the "extended warranty" which narrows the coverage when compared to the new car warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
it may take a bit of time but use regular hand soap with a soft rag or a good quality leather cleaner with the proper ph anything else eats the rubber coating and makes it worse

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have had the sticky problem in the rear seat control plate and a moth ago it appeared where the controls for gas opener and park assistant. I have used a normal pencil eraser. The gum from the eraser sticks to the sticky stuff. Then with the thumb you gradually squeeze it off. This procedure is repeated untill all the sticky stuff is removed. It is very timeconsuming and the panel in the rear seat it was nescessary to remove the panel or otherwise it would have been very tedious job. I assume it took me an hour or more.The small panel with the 4 buttons left to the staring weel I managed to do without removal but the buttons made the job very hard, some 2 hours I think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts