Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have just bought a 2003 Spyder and have to say can't wait to pick it up next week. Have been thinking about pushing the boat out for years and treating myself to a new motor and have been waivering between a 911 and a Maser but after driving the Spyder last week any question marks were well and truly blown out of my head (before it got into second gear) and I bought it there and then.

The only slight drawback was the stereo lacks a bit of umph so I went to my local stereo dealer in South London thinking the answer would be to stick an amp in there, replace all the speakers, add a subwoofer and replace the CD changer with an IPOD interface.......et viola! Sure enough the bloke in the shop said it was not a problem, if the factory Sat Nav / C.D. / Phone unit had pre-outs he could fit it all directly, and if there wasn't he could put a box of tricks in there for about $500 which would take the signal, process it and put it out to an amp.

The shop in question has a very good reputaion and the pictures on their website of custom, award winning stereo installs indicates that they know what they are doing and the guy seemed very knowledagble, he showed me his own system in his car which was being worked on in the work shop and it looked like somthing out of 'pimp my ride'. I am not interested in a show stereo or anything that will make my passengers ears bleed, but a nice sound would be great.

Anyway, so to my dilema............ after reading all of the various forums posted on this website about Maser owners upgrading (or trying to) their stereos I am now suitably terrified. I feel that either I need to have a degree in astro-physics or just be content with listening to the sound of the engine instead of tunes.

Is there anyone out there who can give me a little advice? I guess a wiring diagram would be tops (though I know Maser have asked for it to be removed), or alternatively any other tech information I can give the stereo shop before he gets his chainsaw to my new motor.

All knowledge very gratefully recieved.

Thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hello all,

I have just bought a 2003 Spyder and have to say can't wait to pick it up next week. Have been thinking about pushing the boat out for years and treating myself to a new motor and have been waivering between a 911 and a Maser but after driving the Spyder last week any question marks were well and truly blown out of my head (before it got into second gear) and I bought it there and then.

The only slight drawback was the stereo lacks a bit of umph so I went to my local stereo dealer in South London thinking the answer would be to stick an amp in there, replace all the speakers, add a subwoofer and replace the CD changer with an IPOD interface.......et viola! Sure enough the bloke in the shop said it was not a problem, if the factory Sat Nav / C.D. / Phone unit had pre-outs he could fit it all directly, and if there wasn't he could put a box of tricks in there for about $500 which would take the signal, process it and put it out to an amp.

The shop in question has a very good reputaion and the pictures on their website of custom, award winning stereo installs indicates that they know what they are doing and the guy seemed very knowledagble, he showed me his own system in his car which was being worked on in the work shop and it looked like somthing out of 'pimp my ride'. I am not interested in a show stereo or anything that will make my passengers ears bleed, but a nice sound would be great.

Anyway, so to my dilema............ after reading all of the various forums posted on this website about Maser owners upgrading (or trying to) their stereos I am now suitably terrified. I feel that either I need to have a degree in astro-physics or just be content with listening to the sound of the engine instead of tunes.

Is there anyone out there who can give me a little advice? I guess a wiring diagram would be tops (though I know Maser have asked for it to be removed), or alternatively any other tech information I can give the stereo shop before he gets his chainsaw to my new motor.

All knowledge very gratefully recieved.

Thanks
Not a degree in astrophysics, but knowledge of the limitations/issues. If you spend some time doing a search in the forum, you will have nuff information to challenge your installer and if he comes out with straight, sensible answers, then it's your call.

The NIT unit in the Coupes/Spyders (a Magneti Marelli NIT) has no known-of (at least publicly) OEM integration module. Period. What I only read is about installers doing miracles with secretive solutions (hence not possible to be checked for quality until, of course, you spent your $$ and your car has been fiddled with). Bollocks to me.

Being more conservative, I just replaced the front speakers with FOCALS (165 CV1 polyglass, which fit snuggedly) and did the job myself in no-time. Difference is huge just from that simple change.

Just my 2 c.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I hadn't picked up that it was made by Magneti Marelli so that is a big help thanks. I assumed that it was either a Becker or a Blaupunkt, have been looking in all the wrong directions. Maser seem to be quite secretive about the electronics in this car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess I should have posted this on the other thread also but did some upgrades to my GranSport. I had a few issues with motor whistle (very slight) that the installer resolved by moving the ground connection.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I guess I should have posted this on the other thread also but did some upgrades to my GranSport. I had a few issues with motor whistle (very slight) that the installer resolved by moving the ground connection.
Reasonable upgrades are available for Becker units in the GranSport since the Becker head has full ISO connectors. GS has no in-dash screen so no video integration is possible.

The Magnetti Marelli unit does have ISO speaker connectors in the back of the unit in the arm rest so amp upgrades ARE possible using a bridge. The coupe/spyder has an upgrade amp option that mounts somewhere in the back (not sure where but I believe it's behind the rear seat in the coupe). I believe there is a connector there.

The display in the console is an RGB unit so RGB lines exist between the console and the dash. A G-NET unit should work but there is NO WAY to intercept the in-dash controls. At best a cludge of remote controls and hidden switches to control everything.

I have found a touch screen that fits the maser unit and may work for input into a car computer which is the best chance of total integration.

This Summer I will reverse as much of the system as possible and share it via PM. I'll keep you posted. (Ed will get the info first ;))

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's great, thanks for all the info I am pleased to hear that it is possible.....was beginning to think that I was going to have to wear my headphones while in the car!

I am going to see the guys at the stereo shop next week and will give them info on all the forums and get them to give me a solution before I let them loose. I will post what they have to say to see if helps anyone else and will keep you all posted of the progress I make.

Good to know as a newbie that the Maserati driving community is full of such nice people....thanks! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
External system solution

One possible solution for the coupe that doesn't require tough work is the Kenwood KOS-A200. It can send info via RDS over FM for IPOD or Sirius integration. RDS is the text you see when you listen to FM radio with callsign or song title and musician info. The only disadvantage of this approach is that it uses an FM modulator and not direct input.

BeeYouZeeZee, I saw some posts about your aux connector through the CD changer, but couldn't find step-by-step directions. Did you ever post this? Please email me if so: [email protected]. I'd also like to hear what you come up with this summer. Perhaps I can contribute in some way. I am an EE that just got a loaded '04 coupe with the upgraded audio and nav.

·
Registered
39 Posts
One possible solution for the coupe that doesn't require tough work is the Kenwood KOS-A200. It can send info via RDS over FM for IPOD or Sirius integration. RDS is the text you see when you listen to FM radio with callsign or song title and musician info. The only disadvantage of this approach is that it uses an FM modulator and not direct input.

BeeYouZeeZee, I saw some posts about your aux connector through the CD changer, but couldn't find step-by-step directions. Did you ever post this? Please email me if so: [email protected]. I'd also like to hear what you come up with this summer. Perhaps I can contribute in some way. I am an EE that just got a loaded '04 coupe with the upgraded audio and nav.
What are you referring with "upgraded audio and nav"? BeeYouZeeZee, I am also eagered to see what have you accomplished..

·
Registered
36 Posts
By upgraded audio, I actually meant 'Auditorium 200' audio system. I also have the factory nav (no credit there).

I am still looking for pinouts and/or audio wiring diagrams.

I am also now considering a nav-tv option instead of the Kenwood (if I can get the wiring diagrams).

BeeYouZeeZee - Willing to share the touch-screen you found that will fit?

I found an Alpine hub that would be great with a touch screen that fit in the exisiting hole.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have been swamped at work and haven't even seen my poor Maser for 3 weeks because of the rain. As soon as I get caught up in the next week, I'll supply all the info I have. Sorry.

Buzz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts