taking delivery of an 02 coupe gt next week
first thing to work on is the sound system
what have others done?
ay pics, recs, thoughts?
thank you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Look for Buzz's thread on the 5 CD changer, assuming you don't already have one. I mounted one last week and I'm very pleased with the performance.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks
i actually have one but am planning on changing out all of the speakers, amps, putting in subs, etc....
wondering if anyone had attempted taking out the stock head unit and switching it for something more advanced?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Check Prior Posts

Respectfully, there is a plethora of information on this topic which you should review before taking any action. The NIT unit-the unit which controls pretty much everything-is very sensitive. Outboard speaker crossovers, for example, can fool it into thinking there is more of a load than there really is, which shuts it down. Check the posts, and most importantly, go with a shop that has a few years of experience with this particular car. I have a three channel JL Audio amp running MB Quartz up front, stock speakers in rear, and JVC's on the parcel shelf. I have had an Infinity BassLink in the trunk, but have taken it out, as the panel speakers provide almost enough low end on their own. I am considering a small Bazooka bass tube IF I can fit it in the spare tire well. I also use the Dension IceLink Ipod connection, which provides adequate control of the Ipod through the standard dash/CRT controls. These modifications significantly improved the stock sound, but if I had it to do all over again, I would explore bypassing the NIT unit altogether so as to start with as clean a signal as possible while at the same time keeping the functionality of the dash/CRT controls intact. Good Luck!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an excellet shop nearby that is very familiar with lambo, maser, aston, porsche........they do the work for the actual dealers.
that being said- they are suggesting focal components up front- keep the naie head unit- they know how to modify it to accept the ipod and xm.
new ampss
focal subs in the back.......
we will see
how is the stock navigation in the unit?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've installed myself a pair of Focals 165CV1 in the front doors. Had not cut the tweeters, though. Massive change in quality.

Stock SatNav is CRAP, but there is no aftermarket unit to interface with the head unit CAN bus.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i do not understad why we cannot just bypass the head unit all together.
there are far more sophisticate units out there!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
i do not understad why we cannot just bypass the head unit all together.
there are far more sophisticate units out there!

Yep, there are! But you aren't going to be able to use one. The Maser coupes and spyders have a totally proprietary Magneti Marreli NIT that is not compatable with ANYTHING! There is one (and only one at this time) device for connecting an ipod IN PLACE OF the CD Changer (Dension). It emulates the Blaupunkt CD changer but can't display song/title. The only real mod that makes sense is amp/speakers for now.

Buzz

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NUTS!
so there is no way to entirely take out the maser system and swap in a new one? unbelievable....
my installer seems to think that they can wire in whatever i need into the existing unit and they claim to have a ton of experience with the masers- we will see.
this is very interesting
i am a audiophile nut and this could be bad- very bad.....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
NUTS!
so there is no way to entirely take out the maser system and swap in a new one? unbelievable....
my installer seems to think that they can wire in whatever i need into the existing unit and they claim to have a ton of experience with the masers- we will see.
this is very interesting
i am a audiophile nut and this could be bad- very bad.....
The Quattroporte CAN be heavily modified. Since it's a Maserati it fits the claim. It uses a more standard system. The coupe/spyder display unit in the dash is directly contolled via an RGB video connection from the NIT (NOT a CAN bus). This means no easy way to interface anything to the unit.

The Dension unit I referred to earlier emulates the CD changer and can select play lists and individual songs from the lists (looks like CD/track). No display info at all. The Dension units are popular in the UK but not so much here. Do a search on Dension Ipod.

Sorry I don't have better news :cool:

Buzz

·
Registered
528 Posts
I did a search on the Dennison Ipod adapter, and found that there no longer is a USA dist.

Any idea on where to get one?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I did a search on the Dennison Ipod adapter, and found that there no longer is a USA dist.

Any idea on where to get one?
If you go to the Dension web site, they list a distributor in Montreal Canada as the US contact.

http://www.dension.com/dealers.php

It looks like Dension now has their Link Gateway products available. It looks like it controls ipods, gives AUX in and retains the CD changer (Link Gateway 400). So much for my project :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I received this US contact from the Canadian Dension distributor.

As per the information you requested please feel free to contact Mr. Harry Hengerer at the following number and email address and he will be able to provide you this information.

You can email : [email protected]
You can call him : 905-764-9533

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
And this FRUSTRATING reply....

Hi Buzz, unfortunately all Maserati applications have been removed from our compatibility list at this time as we were experiencing interface problems. However once these issues are resolved I am confident there will be an application for that car. Possibly by next month.

Harry Engerer | Client Care Representative
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
MASS Group of Companies 40 East Pearce Street, Richmond Hill ON L4B 1B7
phone 905-764-9533 x269 fax 905-764-7476 www.mass.ca

·
Registered
660 Posts
That fu*@#ng Magneti Marelli NIT.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Heheheheee... look forward to it :D

BTW have changed the F1 pump relay on the annual service last week; a 20 min job. It's a cheapo Tyco relay, assembled in Portugal. Will post a pic later on. Interestingly, checked for the part # on their website and it's not quoted. Cannot believe it's a made-to-order relay.

Seems solid-state is the way to go, and I was hoping to get the technical specs for this spare from Tyco. No luck so far.

Ed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts