Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ladies/gents,

The one thing I wasn’t happy with about the dealership is that I was told the steering rack boots could not be individually replaced without the full purchase of a NEW steering rack. I said the heck with that. I was able to purchase these brand new boots.....

What kind of labor am I looking at to have these replaced?

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Stephen, I did mine last year. Takes about 1hr, plus alignment. Not a difficult job at all. Have them clean and re-lube the inner tie rods while in there.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Stephen, I did mine last year. Takes about 1hr, plus alignment. Not a difficult job at all. Have them clean and re-lube the inner tie rods while in there.
Hi Oishi,

Thank you so much.

Kindly,
Stephen

5,018 Posts
Between your alarm deal and them telling you that you need a rack to replace the boots I would be done with those folks...We do boots all the time....Jason

Reactions: StickyP

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Between your alarm deal and them telling you that you need a rack to replace the boots I would be done with those folks...We do boots all the time....Jason
Very true -> I am headed to Norwood performance here in Dallas for the boots. Just wanted a baseline as to what to expect. Dealer said they will not replace “just” the boots and the price for a new rack is WAY too rich for my blood.

Kindly,
Stephen

5,018 Posts
Yeah, that place is a bunch of crooks...There is no reason to replace a rack instead of the boots...If it starts leaking then you tell the customer you didn't fix that...I can't remember even seeing a P/S rack on a M138 ever leak..I certainly have never replaced a rack on one....J

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 2 cents here. Bought the car in 2015 and the inspection revealed oil leak on one side. Not major. Canadian shop quoted 2,700 if I recall correctly, US reseller quoted 400 or 500 for a rebuilt rack. Bought two bellows and told the local all makes shop to replace them. They did, 5 years later it’s all good

George
2003 Coupe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts