Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling my Lotus Esprit S4s and the GranSport has really caught my eye.

Unfortunately, my driveway is pretty steep with a tight turn so you have to go slow. Also, no runup. I have to back out of my garage, K turn, and drive up slowly.

It's not a vertical wall - even the Esprit with its tiny, low compression 4 cylinder can drive up (just over idle, throttle to the floor :) ) slowly without slipping the clutch - but it is steeper than anything I've encountered driving. My concern is that the F1 transmission is going to slip the clutch all the way up, every day. I've done a lot of reading here and I suspect that my fears are well founded.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
513 Posts
if you ever plan to back up the driveway..

I'd say get the Gransport and sell the house.

backing up on the mildest ( I mean mild) will burn the clutch.

Going up, would do less harm as long as you keep a consistent speed.

·
Registered
530 Posts
These clutches HATE reverse. Can't stress that enough. There's a rough 1 1/2" to 2" transition from my drive to the road surface. If I back up to it so that the rear wheels are in contact (so I can see what may be coming) then try to reverse over the lip it'll burn the clutch. The key is to leave enough room so you can build some momentum to get over the lip, then no expensive smell.

As long as the back out and K turn are relatively level and smooth, going slowly up the driveway in first gear shouldn't be a problem.

There's a "special parking maneuver mode" engaged by pulling the downshift paddle in first. You get a beep and flashing 1 to tell you it's engaged. I THINK it tells the drive by wire throttle and clutch that you're doing slow, low rev maneuvers and to react accordingly. It self cancels slightly over 1k revs but mave have application for your drive.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I drive forward up my drive (uphill) and then reverse back out (downhill). This way, it saves my precious clutch. Tip: try to get the car in the right orientation so it reverses down the steepest slop.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Simple, NEVER NEVER NEVER go up in reverse. It seems that all these 'F1' trannys, whether Maser CC or Ferrari F1 or Lambo egear, seem to choke on reverse. The clutch never fully engages, and you you just burn it off. Like serious slippage/burn smell. I did it once and never again.
So. go up in first. I do this all the time into my driveway, which is a steep uphill climb. Up in first, down in reverse or neutral. I got 30K+ miles on my first clutch.
Mike

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well, there is a known fact: these cars do not like stop and go situations, do not like heavy traffic. Period. They were not meant to be driven into those conditions, as weird as it may sound, Italian sport cars are not designed for commuting into dense traffic areas (whereas, say, the German likes do not feel so bad into those conditions).

Just an example: yesterday coming back from the Bluewater shopping center south of London, traverses the M25 at a place where there are works being done on the A2. Traffic could become a nightmare. Leave early to avoid getting stuck, no chance. You have to negotiate 2 roundabouts at the top of hill climbs into, what, was yesterday a 2 mile or more queue going at 1.5 to 2 mph on stop-and-go, until exiting into the A2 motorway. There is no way, even in Auto mode, to avoid slippage, unless (as Steeldream said) you build some lead room to jump-start with a bit of momentum so to let the clutch engage properly. That's the ONLY way.

But, if you have to jump-start having been stuck in a queue in a moderate or steep climb, then the lead start would need to be wide (so wide you will not make people happy behind you) and even then slippage is unavoidable (you know because you never get good traction initially). Sometimes putting in the low-traction (ice button) on helps, but only just.

And, of course, the reverse manouvre. NEVER EVER climbing.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sadly, the best thing for stop-and-go is about as far from a maserati as you can get: a hybrid or other small-engined, automatic-transmission car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
demoe said:
I'd say get the Gransport and sell the house.
Can't do it. Love the house. :)

Some of you thought I meant I would back up the hill. I back up about 50 ft, then drive up the hill forwards. It sounds like that will be OK.

Thanks gentlemen.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you are driving forwards it won't be a problem. Just make sure you are rolling and the clutch is fully engaged, then let the torque pull you up. If you have to stop midway up the hill, it is better to slowly roll back down in Neutral, and start over than stop and restart midway. The Motor makes plenty of torque so steady at low speed should be fine.

- Mark

·
Registered
824 Posts
maserati of minneapolis said:
If you are driving forwards it won't be a problem. Just make sure you are rolling and the clutch is fully engaged, then let the torque pull you up. If you have to stop midway up the hill, it is better to slowly roll back down in Neutral, and start over than stop and restart midway. The Motor makes plenty of torque so steady at low speed should be fine.

- Mark
As other posters have mentioned...

Use sport mode going up (more likely to full engage) and neutral to roll back out. NEVER EVER use reverse on any kind of slope if you can avoid it.

FYI clutch does not fully engage in reverse, by design, according to dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts