Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my 02 coupe gt to the best detailer in the area.
He is going to do a full detail on the car including multiple zaino coats to the exterior, touch up paint/clear coat/wet sand for all dings and peel spots but here is where I have concerns.
He plans on doing a steam clean of the leather with follow-up conditioner.......
Thoughts?
I'm worried it may make the leather stretch and sag......
Are these fears well founded?
thanks all.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
heat, especially hot water, makes leather VERY maleable...

yup, it may get stretched out... notice how maseratis with the heated seats have wavy leather ;]

·
Registered
660 Posts
So I took my 02 coupe gt to the best detailer in the area.
He is going to do a full detail on the car including multiple zaino coats to the exterior, touch up paint/clear coat/wet sand for all dings and peel spots but here is where I have concerns.
He plans on doing a steam clean of the leather with follow-up conditioner.......
Thoughts?
I'm worried it may make the leather stretch and sag......
Are these fears well founded?
thanks all.
My advice (and I know 1 or 2 things about detailing)

1. Mildly warm (NOT HOT) damped (NOT SOAKED) cotton cloth + leather soap (ONLY if heavily soiled) to remove dirt
2. Let dry
3. Leather conditioner, 1st pass I use Autoglym (apply, wait until dry to the tact, then polish with a soft cotton cloth) and 2nd pass (preferably next day) with Croftgate's leather cream (ditto) but this time wait 24/48 hrs before use. In both cases, APPLY SPARINGLY.
4. Test for suppleness; do a 3rd pass with Croftgate 72 hrs from first.

And very true, (hot) steaming will induce the leather to stretch.

HTH

Ed

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
it reminds me of those steamer for doing facials..
may be he's trying to clean the pores for you??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts