Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plumbing was originally replace on the fuel tank because it was spitting fuel out. Now after fueling at a gas station, the car refuses to start. It takes 10-15 seconds of holding the start button to get it going and sometimes I have to repeat.

What's up?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Check the rubber gasket on the gas cap, it may not be sealing well and for what I've heard those cars needs vacuum in the gas tank.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Tempermental Italians

I have noticed if I let off the ignition key a hair too soon, before the engine has really caught, I have to let it turn and turn and turn the second try before it fires up. I'm experimenting with giving the throttle a little bump before trying it again. I had a Porsche that needed some coaxing if she didn't start up the first time, too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but...
Has anyone else experienced problems starting after re-fueling?
I've had trouble starting my 03 Coupe GT every time I re-fuel (I just purchased it, so it has only been 4 times).
It takes 2 to 3 times to start, then runs rough for about a minute after it does start.
I was wondering if it had something to do with losing the vacuum after openind the tank, so here's what I've tried so far:
-I have made sure each time the gas cap is on and secure
-after refueling the last couple of times, I turned the key to ON for about 30 seconds before turning the key the rest of the way to START. It still took 2 or 3 times to start the car.
-after re-fueling, I drove home and turned off the car. Then I opened the gas cap and left it open for a couple of minutes. I even pushed open the flapper valve inside the opening at the gas cap. Tried to start and it started with no hesitation.

The only thing I haven't been 100% sure I do is turn off the car before I press the button to open the door to the gas cap before I turn off the car. I do know that I haven't opened the gas cap before turning off the car.
So....I'm baffled as to why it won't start when I actally refuel, but it doesn't have any problem starting when I open/close the gas cap without adding fuel to the tank.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Fuel Evaporative Emission Control System problem?

Are you throwing any error codes? If so are any related to a slow leak in the Fuel Evaporative Emission Control System? I had a problem where the car would start no problem until I went to fill up. After doing so, the car wouldn't start.

The problem was related in part to a full charcoal cannister (need to weigh it to confirm) but primarily to a faulty valve. What I believe was happening was that after filling, gas vapours that should have been trapped and then released to burn in the engine at an appropriate time, were infact being drawn into the engine on start up because a faulty valve in the system was open basically flooding the engine with too much fuel. Could be your problem, if so I would think there should be an error code stored.

Another symptom was sometimes on starting cold, the car would roar to life, I think because again too much fuel vapor reached the engine again from a faulty valve.

Hook up and OBD reader and check it out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts