Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
New to the forum and recent new owner to a 2002 spyder. Car runs good and shifts up fine but sometimes when coming to a stop, it will feel like it is locking the clutch and the car just stalls.
It happens either in auto or sometimes in manual if I forget to get it back to 1 early enough. Has anyone else had this happen or is it normal?
The vehicle always starts right back up but its a horrible scene when it bucks to a stop and stays engaged.
From what I can tell, I usually try to leave it in manual mode, If I normally accelerate up threw the gears and then am coming to a normal stop and have time to drop threw each gear it works fine.
Its only when I seem to only get up to third or so and have to come to a quick stop.
If i am auto mode, its the same thing, if I come to a quick stop it will not get down to first quick enough and try to come to a stop in second and stall right out.
Any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Clutch is dying... probabl because you drive it in auto mode...

Rule 1) Never use the Auto mode.
Rule 2) Always use Sport mode.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had this problem and the dealer made some adjustments to the TCU parameters.

(actually I had a double problem, the engine wouldn't start after it stalled)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Maserati boy , why do you come out with so much rubbish in general, to say in this inst that its probably the clutch dying shows how naive you are , and putting the fear of christ into Lotus s4, unecessarily. there is no need to

There are several reasons for this to happen , i too have had similar happen, 4 or 5 times over a 6 month period always in the same situation , pulling away up through the gears then have to slow for speed ramps( a short distance from or to my house ) just before you are about to change back into first , you get the beeps as you are rolling over the ramp and hey presto it stalls , starts straight back up as normal and has no lasting effects .

Ive done approximately 7000 miles since it first happened and still on 45% worn clutch All it probably needs is a slight adjustment of the software, i do concur tho, that the auto mode will shroten the clutch life slightly quicker by its nature .

Regards lozcb

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Lozcb,

Sorry for being so naiave and full of rubbish in general.

The reason I said that the clutch was dead (at the end of its life) was because what he described:

Car runs good and shifts up fine but sometimes when coming to a stop, it will feel like it is locking the clutch and the car just stalls.
Is exactly what the TCU does if it thinks there is not enough material left on the clutch. When he talked about auto mode as if he uses it a lot, it confirmed my beliefs.

Sorry for being so naiave :[

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
648 Posts
Lotus S4:

Sounds like you may need an adjustment. When in the shop ask them to check clutch life - and ask to see the print out.

Although you may or may not need a new clutch, the problem sounds like an adjustment since you say the car otherwise shifts through the gears fine.

Keep in mind the following - most of us do not put the car in Auto mode (I haven't yet- not even to try it) as were all pretty much in agreement that the auto mode will greatly reduce clutch life b/c the computer will 'slip' the clutch much more than a person would ordinarily do driving a standard manual.

Also, keep in mind that you do not "have" to downshift, the car will do it for you and generally does a decent job at it - although it is much more fun to manually downshift at higher revs.

Generally, I'll shift into neutral when approaching a redlight and coast in - although if I'm having fun I'll downshift into a redlight to 2nd, but I never downshift into 1st.

To get going again, assuming you never came to a complete stop, if your rolling, as long as your doing over around 3 mph, you can upshift and the car will automatically go to the correct gear. If slower than that you need to depress the brake just enough that the brake switch is clicked and then shift into 1st - otherwise she won't engage any gear. There's a "spot" between "Full stop" and about 3 MPH that unless the brake switch is depressed, she won't engage.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts