Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I started noticing a "stale" smell coming through the vents. Can't say that it's exactly coolant and I don't have any dripping in the wells and my collant remains at Max (with no filling anytime recently. Is there potentially anything else besides the heater core/exchanger I should be looking to to rememdy this before heading down the heater path? I've looked through the various strings on the heater core/exchanger issues, so I'm well versed in that debacle.

Something in the filter? Anything else?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
recently it's been with the heater on (cold up here in the PNW), but with ECON on or off. I suppose I could run it and turn the temp down to see if it still smells with the AC running instead of the heat. The odor is faint, but noticeable, which is why I can't say entirely that it's a coolant smell

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
im not for sure but if its a heater core i dont think you would have the smell with the ac on. try it anyway. some others with more experience will come in and the more you can narrow it down the better.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You may have mold growing in the a/c system.

Wurth makes a disinfectant that you spray in the system to clean it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

Took it out and cranked the AC and found no smell. Could be lack of use over the winter and I'm going to take a look at the pollen filter and see if I've got water and debris in the housing. Just hoping it's not heater, but will keep my out of growing coolant odor and any possible puddles.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Pop the Radio/Nav display unit out... look for a slotted hole in each side, stick a flathead screwdriver in there with a towel or old t-shirt or something like that between the screwdriver shaft & the framework so you don't damage the surroundings, wedge the screwdriver blade towards you on each side, and the display will pop right out.

Shine a flashlight down in there & look around for any leakage from the heater core, which lives right above that area... if all looks clean, chances are that's not the problem.

Should take five minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts