Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was thinking of exhaust options and wanted to get some idea of how loud straight pipes would be with the center resonator in place on a coupe. Is anyone running this and how loud is it compared to stock or tubi? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I've seen a couple of cars with straight pipes + center resonator, the sound is not very loud, not over the top. I didn't like the quality of the sound, the high-pitched Ferrari sound is gone, but that's personal taste.

Ron Avery has that setup in his car.

You can buy the straight pipes on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Maserati-4200GT...NameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

But for that price I'd rather get the Larini muffler for a few hundreds more.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I run straight pipes on mine without the X pipe or back boxes, with 16" silencers. I LOVE the sound and it made the car. I tried it with the X pipe without the back boxes and it wasnt quite enough sound and without the silencers it was too loud. at low revs it is more deep but as soon as you step up the rpms, it sounds glorious.... :cool: This is a short clip of my car. It is in a garage and isnt nearly as loud outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPy0-crkK5Q

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have straight pipes. I replace just the back mufflers. The sound is great. I think it sounds better than F360 with tubi (but less beautiful than 430 with tubi). The best way is finding the exhaust tips that u like then go to custom exhaust shop that use stainless steel. To make the pipes, it cost me around $500 + the cost of the exhaust tips.
pganmol

·
Registered
111 Posts
I forgot who makes the silencers but they are the "spiral" type and I tried a few sizes and combos before I chose these. Cost for me was about 500 as well.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have straight pipes. I replace just the back mufflers. The sound is great. I think it sounds better than F360 with tubi (but less beautiful than 430 with tubi). The best way is finding the exhaust tips that u like then go to custom exhaust shop that use stainless steel. To make the pipes, it cost me around $500 + the cost of the exhaust tips.
pganmol
Did you keep the center resonator and replaced the back mufflers with a straight pipe?

·
Registered
10 Posts
straight pipes

I have straight pipes instead of the stock back boxes too. Fabricated them myself . The rest of the system upstream is stock. Surprisingly its not too loud. Now I need to find some nice tips, or when I have the time, I will machine them out of SS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts