Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may have started as a joke in a different thread but now I ask… seriously… what other upgrades, modifications or tweaks can be done to our engines to squeeze more power out of them…???

We all know about upgrading to a racing exhaust (Tubi in my case), BMC filter and ECU tuning (which I’ve not done yet)… next thing I know of is supercharging it but I’m not willing to pay 30,000.00 EU so what else after all these modifications???

How about special spark plugs or other simple things... what else is there out there guys???

Steel, would you really ruin the beautiful lines of your baby with a flux capacitor...

·
Registered
187 Posts
PacoSaca,
I have been investigating this for a while. I have looked into the options of porting and polishing which seems like the resonable next step. It will unclude match porting the heads and intake, heads and headers AND polishing the intake manifold for increased flow. This shoud increase power by a modest 10-20 hp, but provide improved power all around the power band which should increase the seat of the pants power by what seems like 40-50 hp.

I am waiting on doing this till the company which is making its debut here in the states soon offers thier full custom ECU tuning which will dwarf what is availible now. It will be switchable between stages of tuning OR stock and tuned so that that it is fully undetectable by the dealer. It will also work with tour as stock mode and sport as tuned mode if desired.

The only issue is porting and polishing will definetly void the warrenty. I might just go with the new tuning since it will be undetectable and switchable. I can wait the 6-8 mos till it debuts.

Right now I have a major traction issue, I need to get wider rear tires to keep them planted through second gear. Saving up for wheels.

Robb

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...traction issue???
...is your car F-1 or manual???

I just got a set of Michelin Pilot Sport II 245/40 ZR 18 for the front and 275/35 ZR 18 for the rear, they are worth every single penny.

·
Registered
187 Posts
PacoSaca said:
...traction issue???
...is your car F-1 or manual???

I just got a set of Michelin Pilot Sport II 245/40 ZR 18 for the front and 275/35 ZR 18 for the rear, they are worth every single penny.
I have the same tires in 265/35/18 rears. I have a manual and it will break loose getting on the highway in 3rd if I push it. Second gear will spin them @50mph.

It is not a tread issue, I bought the car with 2000 miles on it and as soon as I put the full exhaust on it would start to break them loose.

Do the 275s fit ok under the car? yours is lowered right? no rubbing? I was going to move up to DOT comps or another high traction racing tire in the stock size, but if 275s fit, I will just replace. I would love to go 285, but I think that is pushing it!!

Robb

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 275's fit just great... I've mounted them on the OEM wheels but I'm soon buying a brand new set of wheels... I'm still deciding between these two styles:

HRE 840-R

HRE 845-R

and I'll get them a little wider so the tires will stretch a bit more... I'll go to 8.5" X 18" wheels on the front and 10.0" X 18" on the rear. I'm keeping the 18" because of the many potholes here.

Yes, my car is lowered and there's no rubbing.
285's would be nice but depending on the wheels you mount them they may be a little too much.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I like the 840 R
I am contemplating going with the HRE Comps to save the additional weight. but then again, a very comparable wheel to the R series but only cheaper is IFORGED.
I am going to try the 275's on stock wheels like you did and go with a really sticky UHP for now till I can make up my mind.
going to lower mine just like yours too, sick.

Robb

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've been wondering what it would take to bump up to F430 spec. The F430 crank would make a big difference, given that it has a longer stroke so would bump up capacity a bit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
that is all a possibility I am sure. It just takes a special kind of mechanic to make it happen.
I spoke to someone who was talking in the 20 grand range for just porting and polishing perhaps a cam regrind. At that price it is worth the superchargers. He was the middle man for the work. If we can find someone who does everything himself and wants to be a hero it would be lots cheaper.

the search is on!

Robb

·
Registered
390 Posts
Also the titanium valves of the 430 would allow a higher rev limit.

The parts exist and are already built for the motor. Forced induction introduces a ton of new stresses into a motor that is already fairly highly tuned.

For performance the first thing I'd want to do is replace the shocks, but with cockpit adjustable shocks I don't think that's possible. Konis made a huge difference on my Porsche, I'd like to duplicate that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
fuel cooling

Gasoline cooling for our cars is advertised by Leo Nardo, Lycan Motorworks and Modena Performance. It's supposed to be good for 10-15 hp. Haven't seen it mentioned in the forum before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love the HREs 840-R.. but it costs a bomb over here in Singapore with freight and all.... about $15,000 singapore dollars with michelin pilot sport II...how does it compare over your side?

cheers..

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CDF said:
Gasoline cooling for our cars is advertised by Leo Nardo, Lycan Motorworks and Modena Performance. It's supposed to be good for 10-15 hp. Haven't seen it mentioned in the forum before.
I asked some questions to Kevin at MVP about fuel cooling, this is what I asked:

I'd like to know what does fuel cooling does? ...besides the obvious of course.... how does it works? what is it that you do to the car? is it something I can buy from you and have installed in my local shop here in El Salvador or do you have to have the car on site?

and this was his reply:

Paco,

Sorry it took so long for the reply, Leo Nardo is not the fastest when it comes to responses but here is the response I received:

"Fuel cooling is a modification that cools the fuel entering the injectors to
that of ambient cabin temperature. It uses the refrigerant from the
vehicle's air conditioning system to cool down the fuel. For customers that
live in warm/hot climates especially, fuel cooling yields more power. It
needs to be combined with the ECU upgrade, as the fuel/ignition maps are
optimized to operate in conjunction with fuel cooling."

You can do the modification over there, we do not need the car.

Trident said:
I love the HREs 840-R.. but it costs a bomb over here in Singapore with freight and all.... about $15,000 singapore dollars with michelin pilot sport II...how does it compare over your side?
I got the set of PS2 for $1,300.00 and for the wheels I'm still shopping... I have a quote of $5,400.00 with shipping to Miami included for the HRE's 840-R but I'm now also looking into iForged's Vertec or Equip.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...finally made up my mind and ordered a set of wheels.

Thanks to Robb's advice I got me a set of iForged Equip...

They are the two piece reverse lip of the Racing Series and ordered 8" for the front and 10" for the rears... they weight about 17 lbs. each. Price tag was $2,500.00 for the set and bought them from Chris at MCP Racing (http://www.mcpracing.com/index2/index.htm).

Only one detail I don't like about this last aquisition is that they will be ready in about 6 weeks... Chris explained that they are custom made to fit Maserati so I'll have to wait.

Thanks again for the tip Robb :)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why would you bother with fuel cooling? I don't think I've ever heard of that, except in the old carb motors to prevent vapor lock, and even then it was usually just 'in the pits'.

Plus, do you have to run the air conditioning to circulate the refrigerant, pretty much negating any kind of performance gains you could actually get from cooling the fuel in the first place?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Modena Tec in Germany (website currently down, maybe site update) is
doing some serious tweaks, guess they have some solutions with
superchargers....

exit stage around 600 HP, but don't ask me if this will impact your
trident warranty.....guess yes!

will try to find some more insights....

cheers
iwan

·
Registered
22 Posts
To Paco Seca...

IForged are great wheels and certainly the best buy for our cars. I've always thought that they are a good value compared to HRE ( also an excellent set of wheels, but a little pricey ). Let us know the offset you choose and how much lip you end up with. I'm calculating mine now and decicding how much wheel I can stuff under the car and keep the alignment / stagger correct.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Paco, a friend of mine is a tire / wheel distributor for Latin America, when you find out what you want exactly let me know and I'll see if he can get it for you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
WOW Paco,

glad to have been of assistance with your wheels!!! :) they are going to be sweet on your ride! What size did you get? 18" or 19"

I am about to pull the trigger as well! Can't wait to see pics of your car with the wheels

Robb

1 - 20 of 39 Posts